1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by jamato8, Dec 21, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last
  1. jamato8 Contributor
    IMG_0428.jpg Here is the MZ3 from a couple of quick shots. Using the 6085 and the 6SN7W. Excellent sounding and the top lets them breath. :^)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Matthew Willims likes this.
  2. jamato8 Contributor
    IMG_0425.jpg

WNBC and BernieB like this.
  3. jamato8 Contributor
    One more shot with the 6F8G (these are VT99 round plate) being used. You have to put the tubes in after the top is on.

IMG_0432.jpg

Tao8 and Matthew Willims like this.
  4. DelsFan
    Why no love in the print Industry for the new MZ3, or Preamplifier? Well, not love, but acknowledgement at all...
    I "need" a headphone amp, and I'm seriously considering nearly doubling my budget to get the MZ3.
    Maybe I'll just have to trust the three people (including the guy who wrote the review for hometheaterreview) who love, love, love it/them!

5. WNBC
    Good looking amp. Looks bigger than MZ2.

Thoughts on all black or would the clear cover also go well with the MZ3. Sometimes I like a little glow but the all black look is elegant. Sticking with the MZ2 for now but definitely any new amp would have the MZ3 high on my list.

6. Matthew Willims
    Ok so I recieve my MZ3 today which is great as my system took two major steps back recently going back to the Schiit Saga after damaging my MZ2 and a speaker change (I believe fully reworking the crossovers will fix that).

The unit seems a similar size to the MZ2 though not as tall. It oozes workmanship, which is something that was easily overlooked with the acrylic top on the MZ2. I believe out of the box it's better than the MZ2 though it's difficult to tell with the speaker change. This will make the system more bearable until the speakers have been reworked..... Mmmm, maybe iI'll change the speakers back until these are recapped.

7. jamato8 Contributor
    The MZ3 is less tall than the MZ2 yes. And in appearance is a little smaller but so well built, pure quality.

My MZ3 has now really burned in well and has moved into the magical stage. You have to hear the sound to believe it. The very best, hands down, of any amp I have ever heard and pure magic. Sometimes it is so distracting I have to take the phones off to concentrate what I am doing. I find I just stop stare into space and listen and sometimes, I don't have time for that. Really. But hey, I will make the sacrifice at times. lol But it really has to be heard but does take some hours to get there but so very much worth it.

Matthew Willims and Tao8 like this.
  8. Matthew Willims
    Switched back to my usual speakers until I can get the crossover s redone on my Oatlons. It strikes me that it has the transparency and open sound stage that I get with the Schiit Saga combined with the superior impact, imaging and bass that I was getting with the MZ2. This is all with only an hour or so on it so it's already bettering the MZ2. Can't wait to see what burn in does for it :)

Have taught my Logitech Harmony the remote functions so the original will go back into its box. Only bothered transferring input select, volume up + down and mute.

9. jamato8 Contributor
    I really like the Apple remote that comes with the MZ3. Small but not too small as to get lost and a nice quality feel to it.

10. Matthew Willims
    I rather like having one remote for the TV, MZ3, DAC and DAB radio. I still use an Apple remote for the Apple TV as is. Too many remotes.

I've got to say the MZ3 is a fantastic step up from the MZ2 in every way. I probably have about 16 hours on it so far. It's primary use is as a preamp. Love the lack of power on thud too. Just fantastic.

I changed back to the AC speakers. They'll stay where they are until the crossovers are reworked in the Oatlons. Just spectacular.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  11. jamato8 Contributor
    Wait until you hit around 150 hours. It will go up and down and at around 40 hours the bass, for me, went flat and about 15 hours later came back. Now just exquisite!

12. Matthew Willims
    It seems to me that the MZ3 makes it easier to hear each part of a complex piece than the 2. Far more refined and nuanced where the 2 sounded powerful and dynamic. Can't wait to get it to where it needs to be.

Annoyingly JRiver closed itself sometime during the night so it won't have had music flowing through it that entire time. I may need to use Simple for burn in when unattended.

13. Matthew Willims
    OMFG! Have hit about 120 hours this afternoon and it's gone from nice to absolutely bleeding spectacular.

It has retained the transparency, open sound and refinement it initially showed over the MZ2 (traits shared with the Schiit Saga). Suddenly I've far superior micro detail, bass I didn't realize was missing is there and explosive dynamics.

Before it was sounding somewhat constrained though now music flows with effortless grace with explosive power and delicacy... Whatever is recorded.

The magic in the top and and midrange that I previously has with the MZ2 is starting to come in with top hats shimmering and dancing in the air before me. This can work the other way too showing artifacts not intended during mixing up the top end.

Most impressive though is with certain recordings the sound stage extends a good three or four feet to each side of my speakers.

Another thing is it also appears to be getting more volume at lower gain settings which is something that's somewhat unexpected. I'm absolutely gobsmacked and I know it will improve further yet! Very very happy I made the purchase :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    jamato8, freesole and Tao8 like this.
  14. freesole
    Sounds like you are really enjoying your purchase. Always good to see someone this happy with a new product. Are you using another amp to drive your speakers (using the MZ3 as a pre) and if not, what speakers are you using?

15. Matthew Willims
    Very much so. I'm running a darTZeel NHB-108B copy power amp onto Aurum Cantus F620 speakers. A very transparent combination :)

First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last