microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #106 of 1,183
funkpusher, I'm interested in warm, not lush, but if you find anything please post.

I've been reading tube preamp articles and sites lately. I'm not recalling all, but a couple brands that come to mind worth at least checking up on are Rogue and Atmas-Sphere (UV-1), although some (not expensive) tube rolling may be needed in the UV-1's case (if you can do without a remote).

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #107 of 1,183
Thank you for that. From what I gather warm tends to fall within the middle for most tube sound signatures, so that may be the most subjective part of the spectrum. From my cursory readings I see brands such as Feliks Audio come up. FYI I am mostly looking at desktop options for headphones.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #108 of 1,183
I have built my own tube preamps and other tube equipment. IMO, the MZ3 is one of the best headphone and preamps on the market. I can not stand overly warm tube sound as it masks the real sound, IMO. The MZ3 gets everything right. It has the 3D quality of good tubes but without making the sound unnatural.

You can change the tubes to suit your taste as well. I like the 12SN7 in the Sylvania early 1950's type. Not overly expensive and they last a very, very long time. For the driver tube I use the 7062. It is extremely good and is a super long life tube, rated at 10,000 hours and will last even longer in the MZ3 because of the way they are implemented. I can see the tubes in the MZ3 lasting a lifetime of use.

I have the LTA Preamp and agree that it just gets things right.

I also settled on the 7062. I like that it has a bit less gain and so works better with my speaker amp. I use 14N7s on the outputs. Very detailed and neutral.

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #109 of 1,183
Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. Since I haven't used a separate preamp with my current set up or with any that I recall going back a few decades, I decided for starts to save some money and go used, with a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp that has the best sounding tubes already rolled in. I have a good sense of what to expect and will find out later today or tomorrow, depending on road conditions -- lots of snow here in the last 24 hrs -- whether those expectations will be met, or bettered. I can then go from there.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #110 of 1,183
My wife participated in a 8k running event, in the Richmond VA area, this weekend. I contacted Christopher Hildebrand, the owner, and asked if I could visit Tektonics to demo the MICROZOTL MZ3 & the Z10E electrostatic headphone amp.

He obliged and I had the pleasure of meeting Christopher at the location & he was gracious enough to take me & my family on a facility tour! What a nice & measured guy. I should admit I was already a fan of the industrial-old-world-aged designs that appear to take center stage in almost everything that’s crafted there. So unsurprisingly I found Chris to be a wonderful person to chat with about everything...from meeting his wife...along with his personal love of music & design. I shared how I felt many things of yesteryear are increasingly slipping away in a modern society that disposes routinely and tires readily. It was refreshing to see a company that embodied a built-to-last mantra in the 21st century.

I listened to the Z10E paired with a Stax SR model that he had on hand. Boy oh boy! Man...I honestly can not even begin to articulate the sound quality (but I’ll try). It took a few minutes for my ears to acclimate...as I’ve never heard a pair of electrostatic headphones before. Most notably was the stark level of detail retrieval, the immediate transient response, & the hushed tones of the musical passages...the music translated into quiet rumblings...seemingly appearing & disappearing from nothingness (while listening to Midwest by Mathias Eick).

The most notable & surprising takeaway (inward thought) for me was...Wow...this HP amp is QUIET! I cannot state how significant the pitch black silence had on the way the music was presented. The natural tones brushing up against the backdrop of subtle details were accentuated....due to the presence of an inky background that was distinctive in an organic way. I also noted that this amp seemingly meshed the sound characteristics of a tube & solid state amp in a natural way that wasn’t overly eager or too relaxed. The sound quality sat squarely in the middle. In one word...natural...would best describe the signature/musical tone.

He didn’t have a MZ3 on hand but he did have the MZ2 available for a demo. I’d expected a lesser sounding experience after listening to the Z10E...and was caught off guard with how similar the MZ2 sounded in contrast to the Z10E. I cannot say it’s an equal...given the Z10E offers both dynamic & electrostatic experiences; but the overall tone of the MZ2 was in the same family (so to speak). It didn’t seem lacking in any regard (while listening with my ZMF Aeolus that I brought along with me). The MZ2 held its own in a way that surprised me albeit the electrostatic signature of the Z10E expectantly had a distinctly sharper & airy response to my ears.

My thoughts are that these are pieces of equipment that you could enjoy & keep over a lifetime without any real need to seek upgrades years later. The build, design, & sound signature is impeccable & timeless.

Thanks to Christopher for hosting me! The staff at Tektonics are clearly doing great things there in Richmond.

I should note Tektonics Design Group manufactures the chassis for LTAs amps which are available by Linear Tube Audio & Fern &Roby.
51FF5DE8-5A93-4BA3-8F6B-A56F39BE4CF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #111 of 1,183
I'm debating on getting the MZ3 for my next purchase or just going with the MZ2 with upgraded power supply. Is it worth the added 2100 over the original when you get the LPS upgrade? I'm already going with warm headphones so don't know if the MZ2 would add too much of a good thing but from the reviews and descriptions online both amps seem to be relatively neutral with only the good sides of the tubes (mids, soundstage) getting added to the mix. When people say the MZ3 has amazing dynamics can you guys specify with which headphones?

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #113 of 1,183
I'm debating on getting the MZ3 for my next purchase or just going with the MZ2 with upgraded power supply. Is it worth the added 2100 over the original when you get the LPS upgrade? I'm already going with warm headphones so don't know if the MZ2 would add too much of a good thing but from the reviews and descriptions online both amps seem to be relatively neutral with only the good sides of the tubes (mids, soundstage) getting added to the mix. When people say the MZ3 has amazing dynamics can you guys specify with which headphones?

I’m likely repeating myself from a previous post. I listened to the MZ2 & think anyone would be content to own one. I was amazed at how closely it shadowed the sound signature of the Z10E...with the exception being the different application between the
two (dynamic vs electrostatic).

I decided to buy the MZ3 unheard; based on my demo of the MZ2. I listened with my ZMF Aeolus headphones fed by a Hiby Pro 6 & was stunned with the sound quality.

The MZ3 is supposedly a notable SQ & casework step ahead of the MZ2...so I decided to spend the cash. Of course it’s ALWAYS a very personal decision.

There isn’t much reviewer content available (print media or video) on either amp. I can say after listening to the MZ2 I became a witness which led to my aforementioned purchase of the MZ3.

I’ve also noted you rarely see LTAs up for resale. It could be an indication that owners don’t sell ‘em or see a need to upgrade after purchase.

Due to the expense of LTAs HP products I would strongly encourage anyone to demo a unit, in Richmond Va area, if you’re seriously thinking about purchasing one. This’ll ensure it’ll satisfy you through the use of your own gear.

Note: Fern & Roby has an open house this weekend I believe (Nov. 23rd 2019); but you can likely book it at a later time if traveling isn’t prohibitive for you (of course).

Big decision....good luck!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #114 of 1,183
I’ve also noted you rarely see LTAs up for resale. It could be an indication that owners don’t sell ‘em or see a need to upgrade after purchase.

I own the original version of the MicroZOTL 2 with the original switching power supply. I jumped on it as soon as I learned that the MicroZOTL had been reborn. My unit is serial number 0007. I've thought about upgrading but have really never had a strong urge to do so. There was quite a bit of hoopla about the upgrading the power supply with at least one aftermarket version getting some attention and Linear Tube Audio (LTA) eventually came up with their own upgraded linear power supply. I thought about it and never really saw the need to do so; I've been quite content so far with my original "entry level" power supply. I MAY eventually upgrade to the Z10E....or I may not.

(I also still own my original HiFiMAN HE-1000 (version one) headphones. I listened to the HE-1000 V2 headphones once and thought that
they sounded
extremely...........similar to the version one headphones.)

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #115 of 1,183
Got it! I dare not write any impressions just yet...but I can say this excerpt from LTA’s Q&A page holds true...

ZOTL amplifiers do not have the thicker, warm tone that many tube amplifiers have. They still have the liquidity and linearity of tubes, but without a transformer's tone.

ZOTL amplification achieves neutral accuracy without coloration. This achievement is supported both by listening and through measurement.

Switching immediately from other tube amplifiers (and solid-state amplifiers designed to be warmer) to a ZOTL amplifier can often feel like something has been lost. What is actually happening is more akin to adjusting the focus of a lens: an increase in clarity accompanies a reduction of haze. While haze can feel like "body" or "weight" that is no longer there, as you adjust to the ZOTL amplifier you realize you are hearing the more accurate weight and body of what you are listening to, and the consistency in performance over varying impedances will allow you to experience this accuracy throughout the frequency spectrum with many different speakers.

ZOTL amplification's neutrality is also transparency. As source components increase in performance, ZOTL amps continue to reflect this, scaling up indefinitely.

Footnote: I’m surprised by the 1 watt speaker output. The SQ is quite nice even with my 84db speakers. I can see the logic particularly if you have highly efficient speakers.
3FEC4BF7-8B00-4C1D-9065-02E2BE5D5675.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #117 of 1,183
Just received the MZ3 yesterday after a painful 3 week wait but it was well worth it. Right out of the box, this tiny integrated looked and sounded amazing. I use it mainly as a preamp combined with the Pass XA25 to drive my Susvara/Abyss TC. Compared to my other preamp, the Rogue Audio RP-7, the MZ3 sounded more refined and holographic with better dynamics and impact (this thing can hit HARD). There is also an alertness and clarity to the sound that goes really well with the darker/wetter sounding XA25. I also tried it as a headamp with my HD600 and was surprised at how much the HD600 was elevated with the MZ3.

I've heard other tube amps including the Feliks Euforia, Auris Nirvana, Manley Absolute and the Woo Audio WA5 and feel that the MZ3 sounds better. Heck, I'm reluctant to admit this but it might sound better than my long-time tube amp, the Cayin HA-300. Not as spacious but better resolution and dynamics. Anyway, the MZ3 really doesn't get enough attention on here for how good it is, hopefully more people will catch on.

Hey, I know it’s been a while since you’ve posted this but I’m currently looking at the MZ3, Nirvana and the Cayin and I was wondering if you were able to give a comparison of the three. Thank you

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #118 of 1,183
IMG_0428.jpg Here is the MZ3 from a couple of quick shots. Using the 6085 and the 6SN7W. Excellent sounding and the top lets them breath. :^)
Looks really good, I have tried a few tubes with MZ3, found the RCA 12SX7 and 7062 came with the unit sound very good, but I like the Sylvania 12SN7 bad-boy combined with 6414 even more, so dynamic and so refined sound, I am currently using an Amphion Mobile One12 with the MZ3, it's a very good tiny size setting which I enjoy within my small size living room, with an inexpensive subwoofer. My headphone is Mr Speakers Aeon an Audioquest nighthawk. I feel this could be my end game. May try a few other tubes in future....

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #119 of 1,183
Looks really good, I have tried a few tubes with MZ3, found the RCA 12SX7 and 7062 came with the unit sound very good, but I like the Sylvania 12SN7 bad-boy combined with 6414 even more, so dynamic and so refined sound, I am currently using an Amphion Mobile One12 with the MZ3, it's a very good tiny size setting which I enjoy within my small size living room, with an inexpensive subwoofer. My headphone is Mr Speakers Aeon an Audioquest nighthawk. I feel this could be my end game. May try a few other tubes in future....
Do you have a list of compatible tubes / their sound signature?

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #120 of 1,183
Just a small list of what I have tried so far...
12SX7 RCA USA NOS with 7062 USA (not sure the brand) these came with the unit, sounds very balanced and smooth, however, the bass seems can use a bit more power...
6SN7 Raytheon Japan NOS with 7062, generally not as smooth as 12SX7 RCA USA NOS, didn't like it as much
6SN7 Raytheon Japan NOS with 12AT7 Raytheon NOS USA, it sounded better when used with 7062, treble not as harsh, midrange and bass got a bit boost as well, not sure why and I also noticed the gain seemed to be slightly more (louder)....it could be that it got burned in a little more...
12SN7 Philco CANADA NOS, similar to bad-boy design tall tube, black T plate, etc... with 7062, 12AT7 and 6414 Raytheon USA NOS all sounded very good, the treble not as smooth as 12SX7 RCA, but the bass got more energy and went a bit deeper, I had to adjust the subwoofer slightly so it won't get too much, but it's very good kind of bass, not boomy.
6H8C Russia NOS, this one is kind of interesting, it sounded pretty good considering it's inexpensive, it's not as hard hitter as 12SN7 Philco bad-boy, similar to the 12SX7 RCA, but with a lighter touch on treble and it may get better with time too....you can find this on eBay for a very reasonable price...
12SN7 Sylvania USA NOS bad-boy, tall tube, black T plate...etc...this one is the most expansive one I tried, also the best overall sounding tube, the treble got high but not harsh or uncomfortable, perhaps beyond human hearing but I feel it somehow, the mid is very life-like and it seemed to make lyrics much clearer, it goes well with 7062, 12SN7 Raytheon, but best with 6414 Raytheon, surprisingly the 6416 gives MZ3 really good sound, as I read some comments on the internet that this tube was designed for early computers and may not be good for audio, but I enjoy it.....and it has a 10,000 hours rating (same as 7062) which will probably last even longer with MZ3.....

These are what I tried, I may try the following in the future:

vt231
6SN7W
6SN7WGT
12AU7
12AT7 Telefunken (pricy)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back