Microsoft's Surface Headphones
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #32 of 48
Thanks for the quick response. In your opinion, is the lack of any codec other than SBC a big deal?

Not in my opinion. Normally, I'm "lossless everything". My library is 30K+ FLAC tracks including some hi-rez. My normal headphones (for serious listening) are the OPPO PM-1 with the HA-1 amp. Since you already have some noise-cancelling voodoo going on, purity of lossless would be wasted.

The Surface headphones are more comfortable than even my PM-1s, as such they're more enjoyable to wear/listen to. And I never complained about the PM-1's comfort before!

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #34 of 48
I personally think the treble is perfect at the default settings. But I do realize a lot people prefer a bit of a boost. Sure, the app EQ can brighten things up. Not sure how to quantify this for you, I don’t know the fr range it’s impacting.
I may be going crazy, but I can’t find the EQ controls in the Cortana app. I don’t get the devices tab that’s described on Microsoft’s help pages. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: ignore me - I joined the Microsoft beta program, updated the app and then the options appeared. Now to properly test the headphones!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 48
I may be going crazy, but I can’t find the EQ controls in the Cortana app. I don’t get the devices tab that’s described on Microsoft’s help pages. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: ignore me - I joined the Microsoft beta program, updated the app and then the options appeared. Now to properly test the headphones!

So what do you think of them? Did you try my EQ settings in post #24?

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #36 of 48
So what do you think of them? Did you try my EQ settings in post #24?
I’m really impressed by them. I lowered the low bass as shown in your settings, but I increased the trouble by a notch as well. They are super comfortable and I love the dials on each cup and also the fact that you can use the touch controls on either panel.

Adding that extra little bit of treble helped to bring out some of the details that I like. The sound is quite full and expansive. Many reviews I’ve read said the sound was too warm but I think once I had fiddled around with the settings I was able to get it pretty much perfect for my ears. Tomorrow I will get to test them properly on my commuter train.

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #37 of 48
I’m really impressed by them. I lowered the low bass as shown in your settings, but I increased the trouble by a notch as well. They are super comfortable and I love the dials on each cup and also the fact that you can use the touch controls on either panel.

Adding that extra little bit of treble helped to bring out some of the details that I like. The sound is quite full and expansive. Many reviews I’ve read said the sound was too warm but I think once I had fiddled around with the settings I was able to get it pretty much perfect for my ears. Tomorrow I will get to test them properly on my commuter train.

Train is where I like them the best. The comfort level is so good, they are quickly becoming my go-to set for casual listening around the house.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #40 of 48
Did I post this in the wrong sub-forum, or is no one really interested in these?

As an audiophile I look at these headphones with even less insight than the fabledly terrible Beats headphones... maybe someone can pipe in better info than what I have.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #42 of 48
Well several people in this thread have posted their first-hand reviews.

I personally think they're great, I've gotten my money's worth.

But has anyone gotten a frequency response curve for these cans? I feel that these aren't going to be all that neutral in response and that the headphones aren't going to be accurate in replicating the studio/live sound well?

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #43 of 48
But has anyone gotten a frequency response curve for these cans? I feel that these aren't going to be all that neutral in response and that the headphones aren't going to be accurate in replicating the studio/live sound well?

With the EQ/app, I feel I have a neutral sound. My reference are the OPPO PM-1 + OPPO HA-1. I'm always a 'flat' kinda guy. The only thing I actually use EQ on is these Surface headphones, in attempt to get them 'neutral', ha.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 48
With the EQ/app, I feel I have a neutral sound. My reference are the OPPO PM-1 + OPPO HA-1. I'm always a 'flat' kinda guy. The only thing I actually use EQ on is these Surface headphones, in attempt to get them 'neutral', ha.

I am pretty curious to see how these headphones work through the AUX and a regular amp bypassing the Bluetooth... The headphones do look nice for sure :D.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 48
I am pretty curious to see how these headphones work through the AUX and a regular amp bypassing the Bluetooth... The headphones do look nice for sure :D.

Can't say I've tried that... My iPhone doesn't have a regular headphone jack, and if I'm going to be next to one of my actual/regular headphone amps, I'll use a regular set of cans :wink: Although these are comfortable enough, and I think neutral enough, to be considered for regular duty, in addition to the strength as a wireless/NC champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back