Microsoft's Surface Headphones
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

SamS

New Head-Fier
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 48
These seem interesting to me, as I have a 40 minute daily train commute, and the adjustable noise cancelling is appealing. I also have USB-C charging at work, so I could plug them in for a few minutes a day and be all set.

Please help me understand the appeal of adjustable noise cancellation.

For the past couple years, I've primarily worn my Bose QC35 during my bus commute. Not once has it ever occurred to me that the experience could be better if the noise reduction didn't work as well. It's only been in the last week that I found the option actually exists to turn it down on the app. Clearly, I'm missing a use case.

Personally, if I need to hear something around me, I'm inclined to remove one or both ear cups, because noise reduction or not, they're still closed back cans.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 48
Please help me understand the appeal of adjustable noise cancellation.

For the past couple years, I've primarily worn my Bose QC35 during my bus commute. Not once has it ever occurred to me that the experience could be better if the noise reduction didn't work as well. It's only been in the last week that I found the option actually exists to turn it down on the app. Clearly, I'm missing a use case.

Personally, if I need to hear something around me, I'm inclined to remove one or both ear cups, because noise reduction or not, they're still closed back cans.

Well all things considered, I'm inclined to believe that the least amount of noise cancellation (to get the job done) is probably the best. Least amount of potential sonic artifacts, etc. There are cases where you might prefer maximum (actually in the airplane flying), vs. 'half way' - maybe waiting at the airport gate.

So I don't think it's so you can turn the NC down to hear something around you temporarily, more like dialing it in so you don't necessarily feel like you're in a complete sonic black hole.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 48
Well all things considered, I'm inclined to believe that the least amount of noise cancellation (to get the job done) is probably the best. Least amount of potential sonic artifacts, etc. There are cases where you might prefer maximum (actually in the airplane flying), vs. 'half way' - maybe waiting at the airport gate.

So I don't think it's so you can turn the NC down to hear something around you temporarily, more like dialing it in so you don't necessarily feel like you're in a complete sonic black hole.

Thank you! That makes sense, in principle.

In practice, the noise reduction is never as effective as I'd like it to be. In virtually any case, I want it to work better.

I cannot speak for Microsoft's new cans, but my QC35 sound pretty bad compared to any of my other headphones. Turning the noise reduction off improves the sound quality marginally, but also increases the noise floor by ~25dB. It would be nice if Microsoft, or anyone else, figured out how to cancel noise without sacrificing sound quality.

I use my Bose because they are unmatched for comfort and convenience (among my headphones). My Etymōtics have better passive noise reduction than the Bose's ANR. Also, their isolation doesn't come at the expense of sound quality. They are not, however, as convenient as the Bose. I suspect the Surface Headphones will be similarly convenient.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 48
These sound exactly like the Sony 1000xm3 I have. Look into those before pulling the trigger on a ms pair, they have them on display to try in many stores.

Yes I’ve looked into those. I’ll try to give them a listen.

Thank you! That makes sense, in principle.

In practice, the noise reduction is never as effective as I'd like it to be. In virtually any case, I want it to work better.

I cannot speak for Microsoft's new cans, but my QC35 sound pretty bad compared to any of my other headphones. Turning the noise reduction off improves the sound quality marginally, but also increases the noise floor by ~25dB. It would be nice if Microsoft, or anyone else, figured out how to cancel noise without sacrificing sound quality.

I use my Bose because they are unmatched for comfort and convenience (among my headphones). My Etymōtics have better passive noise reduction than the Bose's ANR. Also, their isolation doesn't come at the expense of sound quality. They are not, however, as convenient as the Bose. I suspect the Surface Headphones will be similarly convenient.

Half of my motivation is pure curiosity about the R&D and tech Microsoft dumped into these. It’s often amazing what can happen when you throw virtually unlimited resources into something as basic as headphones.

Currently I use AirPods for conference calls and casual listening, Pioneer Rayz and/or BeatsX for noise cancellation/reduction while commuting. I quite like their sound and noise blocking performance, but they’re uncomfortable after about 30 minutes.

At home, I’m using the OPPO PM-1s and various Sennheisers.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 48
These sound exactly like the Sony 1000xm3 I have. Look into those before pulling the trigger on a ms pair, they have them on display to try in many stores.

How were you able to try the Microsoft Surface Headphone pre-release?

I'm in complete agreement about trying out the options before pulling the trigger on anything.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 48
How were you able to try the Microsoft Surface Headphone pre-release?

I'm in complete agreement about trying out the options before pulling the trigger on anything.
Pretty sure he means they sound as in, the description of the item not the actual sound lol

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 48
Pretty sure he means they sound as in, the description of the item not the actual sound lol
Haha. Upon rereading, yes, I'm sure you're right about what he meant!

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 48
Why would anyone want adjustable noise cancellation? To let more of the world in. Listen to music or the movie and still be able to have conversations or know if the doorbell rang. Listen to The Beat while jogging and still hear the screech of brakes of that car that wants to hit you. I have the qc35’s and always have the anc full up. With the anc off with the qc35’s closed back design still has passive cancellation. You cannot have your music on and hear what’s going on around you. I have a set of true wireless earbuds called QbudsBoost. You can define four different levels of noise cancellation. You can lock out sounds from the back and sides and only hear what’s in front of you. Lots of options. You can also EQ what outside sounds you let in. You can tap them to tune the outside world out. The point is the Qbuds do this with external microphones. You can mix in the outside world however ou wish. I’ve used these Qbuds enough that I sometimes feel that any headphones/earbuds that do not have this feature of mixing in the environment is a ‘lesser device’. From what I have heard, the Microsoft Surface Headphones will have external microphones to mix in the environment with EQ in a similar trick. And so are a bunch of other new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back