Microsoft Dares to Depress: LE Joy Division Zune Boon Due in June
Apr 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
[size=xx-small](This is for Jude, who asked me to post the following email on Head-fi.)[/size]

================================================== ==

No, it's not an April Fool's Day joke -- Microsoft really is planning a Limited Edition Joy Division Zune to coincide with the release of a DVD documentary about the band. The story appears here:

Pitchfork: Joy Division Coming to DVD and Zune

Confirmation is also available on the Wired Blog:

Coming Soon: The Joy Division Zune | Listening Post from Wired.com

Why, you ask, is Microsoft pimping the most depressing band in the history of music as if they were U2? Because this was the idea of designer Peter Saville, who created the covers for Joy Division's albums before moving on to adicolor Adidas.

Though I own an iPod and a few iRivers already, the idea of a punk-suicide-endorsing mp3 player afflicts me with the annoying urge to harpoon a Zune!

========================================

[size=xx-small](Do the people who claimed Persona 3 might, as it were, trigger teen suicide know about this?)[/size]

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 39
scrypt, I'm glad you still drop me occasional e-mails, as they're always interesting (and sometimes just flippin' weird, like the warning from Miss Poojah
wink.gif
), and this one certainly fits the bill in its own way.

I do, however, agree that this particular special edition Zune would be very difficult to pass up.

An odd choice for Microsoft, no doubt. Maybe this is the symbolic flip-side of Steve Ballmer's manic phases?
wink.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to look like, and to see if it'll have any other special packaging / features outside of the graphics on the casework.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 39
What an odd release. I can't help but wonder why Microsoft would do this instead of adding value or features to the Zune. This must be of very, very limited interest.

P.S. It is very good to see you again, Scrypt.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 39
I will buy one. Joy Division I have been listening to for over 20 years in heavy rotation, next to Echo & the Bunnymen, and Morissey. Oh yeah, And OINGO BOINGO.
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that band sucks ass. Way to go microsoft, you may sell 4 of these someday.

Correction: the band is great as well as the documentary. I doubt fans will care about a stupid Joy Division ipod though.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, now you've got it. They suck ass. I would rather buy an Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives Zune.

So who do you like?

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't feed the Troll.

yeah you are right. I just dont get those types of posts. I don't care for Maria Callas or Opeth either but dont feel compelled to bash them either

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 39
If you don't get Joy Division that is OK....REALLY!!!!! Just play nice in the sandbox PLEEEEZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back