Microsoft Dares to Depress: LE Joy Division Zune Boon Due in June
Apr 20, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 39
I wish I could listen to them on vinyl:
redface.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #19 of 39
i have not heard of them. dialing up itunes now as i am intrigued. i have no idea what music they represent nor if they are melody based - got to say im excited to hear something new.

a little surprised by fox, but he ain't no troll - it is usual here to have at least someone smack a thread - get over it: its internet not a community who actually have to be reciprically passivist and benevolent.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #20 of 39
There is no heart or melody, just JOY DIVISION, REALLY!!! It is a complicated kinda punk, kinda suicidal, kinda, techno before techno kinda thing..... SORT OF.........

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised to see you thread crapping mrdeadfolx.

Ok, ok, my wording was over the top. I wouldn't have persisted with it if others didn't try to "correct" my opinion, that's really irritating. But troll? Come on now. That would be a pretty sad troll job.

To answer another question, who I like would never get their own version of a Zune, most of the music I listen to I've only heard of through word-of-mouth, and are not extremely well-known artists. I'm not into the "legends" like the Beatles, Stones or Zepellin, who are some of the other more likely candidates for a special edition DAP. The difference is I think the bands I just named would probably deserve to have their own edition of the Zune, and they would probably sell some units. I just feel that Joy Division is not one such band. Sorry if this is thread-crapping, its just one guy's opinion.

Thanks for defending my honour Shigzeo, I shed a hot tear or two there
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #22 of 39
We are in agreement on one aspect though I'm sure it's not for the same reasons.

A special edition zune or anything like that doesn't make sense. Most Joy Division's music is very dark and filled with sadness and emotional turmoil.

This is a band that had great songs, but with titles like Isolation, Atrocity Exhibition, and Love Will Tear Us Apart.

And last but not least was named after a section of Nazi prison camps and whose lead singer had epilepsy and who committed suicide on the verge of stardom.

I like the music very much, but Shiny Happy People they weren't

PS. the remainder of the band went on to much bigger success as New Order for those that dont know

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Joy Division's music is very dark and filled with sadness and emotional turmoil.

This is a band that had great songs, but with titles like Isolation, Atrocity Exhibition, and Love Will Tear Us Apart.

And last but not least was named after a section of Nazi prison camps and whose lead singer had epilepsy and who committed suicide on the verge of stardom.

welcome to the social...

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, ok, my wording was over the top. I wouldn't have persisted with it if others didn't try to "correct" my opinion, that's really irritating. But troll? Come on now. That would be a pretty sad troll job.

To answer another question, who I like would never get their own version of a Zune, most of the music I listen to I've only heard of through word-of-mouth, and are not extremely well-known artists. I'm not into the "legends" like the Beatles, Stones or Zepellin, who are some of the other more likely candidates for a special edition DAP. The difference is I think the bands I just named would probably deserve to have their own edition of the Zune, and they would probably sell some units. I just feel that Joy Division is not one such band. Sorry if this is thread-crapping, its just one guy's opinion.

Thanks for defending my honour Shigzeo, I shed a hot tear or two there
wink.gif

i do happen to be a bit of a fan you see...

okay so the verdict: any former neworder deserves light of day. got a listen to their gretest hits. should not be hard as they had only 2 albums is it?

good stuff, and lovely that they are not the sort that robert smith is: almost surreally depressed.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the music very much, but Shiny Happy People they weren't

This may be *the* best quote of the whole thread.
biggrin.gif

I'm a big fan. There are JD songs I don't like, but for the most part I can listen to them all day.

BTW: Die-hard fans will really want to get a hold of the Warsaw CD.

Amazon.com: Warsaw: Warsaw (Joy Division): Music

31KARBJ05RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is Joy Division with a different name and a much more traditional punk sound. A must have IMHO.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is usual here to have at least someone smack a thread - get over it: its internet not a community who actually have to be reciprically passivist and benevolent.

Of course it is you who condones and defends "xxx sucks ass" with some irrelevant and illogical nonsense.
Troll is as troll does. There is a big difference between expressing a different opinion and being rude and disrespectful. Internet or not, it has no place here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just feel that Joy Division is not one such band. Sorry if this is thread-crapping, its just one guy's opinion.

Yes, it was a pretty sad troll job as was that poor excuse for an apology (if that's what that was).
If you would have stated it that way it would not have been thread crapping. Expressing an opposing opinion is fine. It's how you express it that matters. Surely you see the difference.

Back on topic:
While Joy Division is a bizarre choice for Microsoft (talk about an odd couple) they were an important band and have devoted fans to this day.
One of those fans is evidently a prominent member of the Zune team, eh?
Perhaps this is just the beginning and other bands are going to follow?
I would be tempted by a Pink Floyd Zune, even though I already have a Zune.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
other special edition zunes include:
allen iverson
winsin & yandel
halo 3
adult swim
breast cancer

quite the mixed bag

Indeed. It would appear that individual Zune Team members are free to indulge their particular interests.

EDIT: See all of the Custom Zunes HERE.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it is you who condones and defends "xxx sucks ass" with some irrelevant and illogical nonsense.
Troll is as troll does. There is a big difference between expressing a different opinion and being rude and disrespectful. Internet or not, it has no place here.

Yes, it was a pretty sad troll job as was that poor excuse for an apology (if that's what that was).
If you would have stated it that way it would not have been thread crapping. Expressing an opposing opinion is fine. It's how you express it that matters. Surely you see the difference.

Sure, points taken and all, but you need not try to come back with fiery vengeance just because this forum happens to be overly passive. I was not trolling, nor am I apologizing. If I think Joy division sucks, I'm trolling somehow? Not so. I already agreed I could have worded it differently, but I didn't. Who cares how I worded it. If you go into a hissy fit every time you hear someone say "sucks ass", I suggest you never turn on your TV set during prime time again. I did not disrespect or insult anyone on the board, nor do I intend to, and that includes fans of Joy Division. It just so happens theyre not for everybody, big deal. Anyways, I'm done with this thread, it's quickly degenerating into one of those ridiculous debates that can only be had on an internet message board. Good day folks.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back