Microphonics - is it a big deal? How to eliminate?
Feb 9, 2011 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DaBird

New Head-Fier
Is microphonics a big deal for you? What is the most effective way you've used to reduce or eliminate it? Do you like using a clip vs over the ear? What would you pay for a permanent, very effective fix to microphonics on your own earphones without having to replace your earphones? Or is your current approach sufficient?

Just wondering.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 11
With my RE-ZERO's, I find that I can wear them down without feeling any really noticable or negative effects of microphonics when out and about.

I do however adopt the 'over the ear' style due to where I place my player (jeans/trouser pocket) and where my cable goes (usually loose, trailing up under my -shirt). In my case, over the ear is comfortable and helps protect the strain reliefs.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Sit perfectly stil...

But seriously, the worst thing about my IEM's is the impossibililty of eating with them in. I was at a Starbucks the other day, sitting down to read a book and eat some coffee cake. No go with my SCL4's in. Had to take them out 'till I was done with the coffee cake.

I don't wear me IEM's when I'm active. I wear a set of Sennheiser MM100's that I use with my cell phone. My IEM's are for when I want to focus on the music or block ambient sound.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 11
Over the ear is usually sufficient when using IEMs with a good cable (ex. Westone, Earsonics, Audio-Technica, etc.). On other headphones (ex. Ultimate Ears, Etymotic, Head-Direct, etc.), using a shirt clip eliminates the problem. In either case, it isn't that big of a deal.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 11
[size=10pt]Over the ear and down my back inside shirt does the trick for me with all my iem's, now if there was a way to get rid of bone conduction that would be nice. Sure it's not a problem with most iem's but with customs it's real noticeable, wearing sneakers and light steps does reduce most of it but with hard shoes it's a killer :/[/size]

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 11

the clip works ok for me, but over the eat eliminates most of the bumping that passes up through the cable.

I hear you on the bone conduction. In my work shoes, just walking on the sidewalk sounds like my heel is kicking a bass drum pedal. Ok, not that bad, but you understand.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Definitely under the shirt and over the ear. Still eating is a no-go for me unless I'm using something with a shallower insertion and not super good seal. It's just impossible to eat with tri-flanges in your ears, so I had to stop my habit of chewing gum while listening to music. But the best way of dealing with microphonics is to not buy iems that are known for having bad microphonics - that's  working for me pretty well LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back