Micro Integrated Drive or Headroom Home?
Nov 12, 2002 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zebra

New Head-Fier
I will be using a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's and am having a difficult time deciding between the MID and the Home. The Home is actually the older version. Unfortunately, both are some distance from me so I will not be able to audition either one, any input would be appreciated.

I will be using both as a single-source pre-amp and am currently using an older Sony ES cd player as the source, but plan to upgrade to a Music Hall, Creek or Arcam.

My wife thinks headphones are anti-social so the fact that both have dual headphone jacks is important so maybe she and I can be anti-social together.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank You.

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 23
If I had to pick one I would take the MID. However, if you mean a maxed out home I would pick a MOH. I owned a MID for years and its a really nice preamp, but I never warmed up to it as a phone amp. I prefered an old audio alchemy hpa1.0 to the MID for phones because the MID just sounds to lean to me. It is very well built, reliable, and as I said an excellent preamp.

Nov 12, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 23
Ditto. I like the MID a lot. It has texture and timbre that other amps only wish they had. But if I had to pick between the Maxed Out Home and MID, I would take the MOH. The MID is bass-shy and doesn't have the blackness and speed of the MOH. For me both amps have obvious strengths over the other.

I wouldn't personally want the new Home over the MID. I have the impression this is a used one you're considering. If so, be aware that HeadRoom redesigned their amps in 2001 and the difference is said to be substantial. My comments (and most others on this forum) are in reference to the redesigned models.

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 23
The Headroom Home is the older version and not maxed out.

I am concerned that if I go with the MID I will miss-out on the crossfeed on the Home and that if I go with the Home I will miss-out on the power and quality on the MID.

Kelly, from your comments it sounds like you would go with the MID over the older Home.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 23
Zebra
Unless it's an exceptionally good deal, I'd go with neither.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MID probably has better resale value, though.

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 23
Zebra, if having two phone outputs is a priority you really narrow down the number of choices. So to does having the amp fuction as your preamp. The headroom amps, MID, creek obh-11se and corda are the only ones I can think of with two outputs. Neither the creek or corda ha-1 are preamps. The new corda prehead is a preamp as well but costs $795. Then you start getting into serious money with the headroom maxed out home $999. The used MID or HOME could be good buys. MIDs normally run around $400-450 used. If these are your only real choices because of finances etc...

I would go with the MID.

The MID is better built, has two imputs and can still be serviced and even upgraded. The MID has the two outputs you require and it is very good sounding, just not great sounding as a headamp. The MID is a really good sounding preamp and the seperate power supply makes it exceptionally quiet for all uses. As a whole the MID will make both normal and headphone listening better. I think you would miss crossfeed less than missing a better preamp,the extra imput,the better build quality, and did I mention the MID has adjustable gain and looks cooler.

GEE I CONVINCED MYSELF! I should have never sold my MID.

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 23
Two outputs, needs to function as preamp...sounds like a Melos SHA-1 would be right in the ballpark. Prices have been lower on these lately than they were a few months back, so you may be able to find a good deal.

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 23
Radio shack sells Y adapters affordably. That with a better amp will yield a better sound with the same money spent.

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the input everyone.

I am now re-thinking my choices considering your comments. Does anyone have any suggestions in the same price range to be used with Senn 600's? I would prefer to stay with a commercial amp, but would consider others if the price to performance ratio were substantially greater.

Morphsci, what is a BPT unit?

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 23
I own a MID, and I'm very happy with it. I haven't heard the Home for more than a few minutes (the new version, that is), but I think you would be happy with either. The MID has a nice upgrade path (albeit expensive).

Morphsci, you prefer the Ratshack power supply to the stock? I've been wanting to upgrade it for a long time now, but cannot afford the McCormack one. If this makes a nice, noticeable improvement, it's definitely a bargain!

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
Morphsci, you prefer the Ratshack power supply to the stock? I've been wanting to upgrade it for a long time now, but cannot afford the McCormack one. If this makes a nice, noticeable improvement, it's definitely a bargain!

Yes I do. Steve McCormack suggested it since he felt that his power supply would give me more current but probably little else since I was using a balanced power unit. The Rat Shack model gives you 1000 mA compared to 500 mA of the stock unit. According to Steve the fact that the RS unit runs at 24V instead of 22V is insignificant. To me it tightens up the Bass and gives it a little more weight. I can't really hear any difference in the midrange or treble. That's MO listening with primarily my MSII's and using it as a preamp to drive a pair of ASL Waves into Wharfedale 7.2 Anniversaries. I take it your still happy with the revision mod on your MID? I have to look into that again after the holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back