Micro cracks -> cracks -> omg..
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Torontoraccoon

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to share what happens to an iPod as pressure builds up upon a few micro tracks that evolve into cracks.. and ends up with a 200 dollar replacement bill from Apple.

This is pretty much when it started to showing real cracks... and.. heres the end result:

Basically it was lying around in my briefcase... subway and walking making impact and losing a chunk of pieces of plastic..

199.99 to replace the current generation ipod touch 64gb + tax.. at least its not bad as they charged me for my nano (169 retail and i think 100 charge)

So yeah... just my luck with appl products... I feel like going and smashing my macbook now..

I mean hey they would charge me $50 for smashing the hell out of the iPad right in front of the Genius, yet they want 200 for a freaking iPod.

Please share any personal photos of shattered ipods, to make me feel better, that I am not alone at this lol.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 16
Why is it that iDevices get screen cracks much more often than normal touchscreen products? Is it the type of material that they use for screens that is inferior or is it a design flaw that (I assume) can't be fixed without changing how it looks?

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 16
my ipod had some similar cracks but only because i dropped it on the screen.
If you decide to do it yourself or even ship it out to certain companys the price can range from 80-135 dollars to fix the screen

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 16

Because the ROI on the hardware is nil but they rake in huge bucks from the parts and service side? Oh, you probably didn't want the anti-corporate answer...

I've actually seen most models of glass-faced phones and mp3 players (oddly excepting the Walkman mp3) with shattered screens at one point or another. Never seen a shattered iPad. 

Basically it's just glass and the nature thereof, and it's not a "feature" I think to be very wise for mobile devices. On the other hand, PE and polycarb are much stronger, but will eventually fade/fog and don't look as purdy. Lesser plastics break easier. It's really a function of compromise in order to get the touch UI. I don't think there's really a better option that wouldn't run the price (or weight) up a whole lot. 
Quote:
Why is it that iDevices get screen cracks much more often than normal touchscreen products? Is it the type of material that they use for screens that is inferior or is it a design flaw that (I assume) can't be fixed without changing how it looks?

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 16
Omg, just found my new replacement iPod with a crack, I havent even taken it out outside, it was lying around in my briefcase, with no metal or other sharp objects. Another 200 bucks? Really? Omg.. 400 bucks on top of the original price sob-sob, could have gotten the best ipad for same price.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 16
I feel for you, bro. I baby my stuff too, and I would be mortified to have such cracks appearing out of nowhere.

Personally, I've never had a crack on any iDevice before, but I've had a bad experience once. The HDD on my iPod 4G died exactly 1 week after the 1 year warranty period ended. The support stuff told me it would cost $250 to replace the HDD. I retorted by asking if it was better to just by a new iPod. Her reply - a deadpan, "Yes, you should." 
confused_face.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Using glass in a design for a device that get's put into pockets....why do you hate your loyal zombies apple?

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 16
I still don't understand how this happens to you guys. Never had a single crack in any glass screen I've owned iPod or otherwise. 

Still thinking user error... lol

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 16
I've owned an iPhone 3G, 2x3GSes, 4, & 2x4Ses & I've also have the iPad 1& 3.

I'm known not to look after my stuff well, but I am lucky never to have had any cracks (micro or not) in the past 4 yrs of my iDevice life.

Naturally after saying this, I'm sure it'll turn around to bite me.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 16
All I know for sure if that you can't use my M80 if I ever get one. :D

Quote:
I've owned an iPhone 3G, 2x3GSes, 4, & 2x4Ses & I've also have the iPad 1& 3.

I'm known not to look after my stuff well, but I am lucky never to have had any cracks (micro or not) in the past 4 yrs of my iDevice life.

Naturally after saying this, I'm sure it'll turn around to bite me.

May 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Omg, just found my new replacement iPod with a crack, I havent even taken it out outside, it was lying around in my briefcase, with no metal or other sharp objects. Another 200 bucks? Really? Omg.. 400 bucks on top of the original price sob-sob, could have gotten the best ipad for same price.

Umm, if this has happened a second time, then I think you need to take a look at what is really going on. The glass in phone screens is pretty tough stuff (I think Apple uses Gorilla glass, but I'm not 100% sure). I have an HTC Inspire that spends most of it's time in my pocket, with no screen protector. Over one year old, not a mark on it. (Gorilla glass)

Maybe you should think about a case? Or at least not letting it just lay around in your briefcase.

May 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 16
I have heard apple uses gorilla glass...but I don't really think they do, FAR to many cracked screens just from a small drop or very VERY little impact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back