Michael Jackson Dead
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #121 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fifth th... oh never mind

I listened to thriller a few weeks ago, it was alright. In light of this I might try a few other albums and see if I like any of them.

The album before Thriller is good and is more soulful. RIP MJ.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #122 of 213
was a big fan of thriller back in the 5th grade. I just recently got BAD on vinyl and enjoyed it again. I will spin some J5 and BAD tonight on the compass i just got today.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #123 of 213
=[ R.I.P
I heard about it last night (GMT) which was rumoured that he died. I went to bed hoping it wasn't true, but nope
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #127 of 213
This was a big shock to me as well, and being just 4 years younger than him, a real eye opener as well. I remember watching the Jackson 5 when I was a kid and being totally in awe at how the youngest one had the most talent, both in terms of his voice and his dance moves.

MJ gave the world a lot through his talents, and hopefully will be remembered mostly for that. RIP, indeed, and thanks for the good memories and extremely well recorded music that I still enjoy from time to time.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #129 of 213
I have to admit my heart sank when I saw this on the news at work today. Usually I don't feel too much about people I don't know or actively follow the careers of dying, other than thinking "well that's too bad", but Michael's death brought back a lot of things I hadn't thought about in a long time. Thriller was the first music video I remember seeing (it came out when I was 4), and I was a huge fan as a kid even though the whole werewolf theme scared the hell out of me. I listened to Thriller and Bad on my Fisher Price record player with built-in speakers all the time, and never even cared that the sound was atrocious. Those were the days; there was actually talent in the world of pop, and Michael Jackson was The King. At least he's escaped the paparazzi, the soulless scum of the earth, forever. RIP.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #130 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually I don't feel too much about people I don't know or actively follow the careers of dying, other than thinking "well that's too bad", but Michael's death brought back a lot of things I hadn't thought about in a long time.

I think you have pointed out a very important difference between someone like Michael Jackson -- who was famous for a reason -- and modern celebrities, who are famous for being...famous.

Michael Jackson affected me, and millions of others, with his music. I really didn't care about his private life, or the scandals in which he was mired. His supreme talent, his great music, was the point for me, and for millions of others who grew up listening to him.

Today, people obsessively follow celebrities as if they know them personally. People's lives are so empty that they have to fantasize in some bizarre way that they are part of the lives of non-entities like Paris Hilton or the latest reality star. These celebrities have nothing to offer, other than the willingness to spill their guts at the drop of a hat in order to attract attention.

Yes, I know, Michael Jackson certainly had followers of that kind, and he cultivated them. But he first became famous because of his extraordinary talent and the quality of his always innovative music. The other, shabbier dimension was there, regrettably, but it wasn't his reason for being, and it was pretty easy to just ignore it and enjoy his work. At his core, he was an artist, and a great one.

Celebutantes offer nothing of the kind. They simply hold up a mirror to the vacuity of our society, ca 2009. I think that's why, upon hearing of his passing, you had a stronger reaction than the usual "Oh, that's too bad."

Me too.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #133 of 213
I was at a Fleet Foxes concert last night when a member of the audience shouted out the news. It seemed unreal and even the band asked for confirmation.

MJ collaborated with Quincy Jones and together they changed music forever.
I have a mission to hear bands perform whilst they still can. This even included The Commodores earlier this week. I had tickets to see MJ in London later this year. Guess I missed his show forever.

RIP

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back