Michael Jackson Dead
Jun 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #91 of 213
I hesitated before posting because of the inexcusably juvenile comments posted here and in the full-size headphone forum. I guess some people can't resist a cheap shot, no matter the situation. Long after the smirking comments have faded into the past, people around the world will listen to and love his music.

Leaving that aside, this is indeed a sad day. Yes, he was a deeply flawed man, but he was also one of the greatest pop musicians of all time. His career spanned decades, continents and genres; for many years, he literally defined the pop landscape. My twenties were suffused with his music as it boomed out of car radios, played constantly in clubs and at parties, and provided the soundtrack and visual vocabulary for the emerging MTV generation.

I say that despite the fact that I never really considered myself, at the time, a particurlarly big fan of his post-Jackson Five career. And yet, when I think back over the decades, I am amazed at how much of a presence Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad have in my memories and in my musical consciousness. And yeah, I've got a copy of Thriller, on vinyl. Two copies actually, because you had to have the picture disc (remember those?).

Thinking of him now, I recall a time before the Internet when stardom and celebrity required talent, not merely the willingness to do anything and everything in public. Today we are left with crass "superstars" who have his shortcomings, but none of the talent and musical joy that he brought to the world.

May he rest in peace.

His obituary from The New York Times.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #92 of 213
I grew up in a house of singers (except for me and my Mom). Michael Jackson's music was a corner stone for my young brother's career. People will be amazed on how good his vocal range and vooice dynamics were during his early career.

Though I'm not a fan. I can tell you how he influenced music and culture in the 20th century. I can still remember his grand entrances on his RED jacket waving his white gloves in a literal SEA of people.

But I personally believe he had some bad choices may be in death he can have the peace that he wants. Rest his soul.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #93 of 213
I was soo looking forward to his concerts in the summer. I've never had a musical artist make me feel pain and happiness at the same time. The guy is legendary. There will never be another King of Pop. RIP Michael Jackson

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #94 of 213
RIP Michael Jackson, an amazingly talented performer and Icon of "POP"!

Peace

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #95 of 213
RIP MJ - respect the man for his talent, artistry, and his influence with pop culture. I be the first to admit, even though my taste in music has changed, "Thriller" is one of the most phenomenal pieces of work in modern music history. At the time, nothing topped "Beat It".

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #96 of 213
As some have already said, I don't know that we'll see a star of his magnitude again, at least in music. His career decline coincided with the death throes of the record industry.

He joins a long list of damaged geniuses.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #97 of 213
What a waste. A musical genuis but a total mess in his head and life. RIP Well try to only remember the music, not the mess.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #98 of 213
I was never a big fan and have mixed feelings about him but it's still sad. While it's unexpected, I'm not really surprised though. When he held the press conference to announce the London concerts, looking at him I thought that there would be no way he would physically be able to do these shows. And that was before they added the total number of shows to 50.

There's a lot more I can say especially about the possible cause of his death and his merits as a musical artist but for now I'll just say R.I.P.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #101 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I hope that Michael has greater peace in death than he had through life...

Michael's life was an open book since day one. His father, family and career pushed him above and beyond. That kind of life comes with emotional baggage. Michael was an exceptionally talented man and I will miss him and what he had yet to accomplish.

...Cheers Michael. May heaven be the Neverland you dreamed of...

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #102 of 213
RIP.

Loved his music as I grew up with it. I just remastered some of his stuff from his Jackson 5 years. A true musical genius who artistic talents, both in music and dancing, surpassed so many others.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #103 of 213
Quite the shock really.

At first I thought he was simply being confused with Farrah Fawcett because, y'know, he was getting whiter and more girly.

Anyway, rest in peace MJ.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #104 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
born august 1958 so he's 50

Born August 29, 1958. Too short a life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back