MHDT Paradisea(+) Owners Club
Feb 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #316 of 338
I've been watching this thread for some time and finally bought a Paradisea 3. It's still in the burnin stage, but I'm delighted with the sound.

I had a WE396A from the 50s which I installed immediately. It is a square getter style, however and I'd like to try the D getter as recommended by members and the manufacturer. Very hard to find, however. I have found a potential seller that says he has one with square back and sides and rounded corners on the front, but it's not a distinct D shape. Is this what I'm looking for"?

i'm very new to tube rolling. I remember going to the hardware store with my dad to test the tubes from the tv and his fisher hi-fi gear, but we'd just buy replacements off the shelf. This swapping of tubes and op-amps for a particular sound is new to me. The fisher had a tone knob for that
ksc75smile.gif

eversharp

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #317 of 338
Well, I had my stocks checked and they appears to be squared and not "D" in shape. That include the JW WE396A currently installed in my Havana.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eversharp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been watching this thread for some time and finally bought a Paradisea 3. It's still in the burnin stage, but I'm delighted with the sound.

I had a WE396A from the 50s which I installed immediately. It is a square getter style, however and I'd like to try the D getter as recommended by members and the manufacturer. Very hard to find, however. I have found a potential seller that says he has one with square back and sides and rounded corners on the front, but it's not a distinct D shape. Is this what I'm looking for"?

i'm very new to tube rolling. I remember going to the hardware store with my dad to test the tubes from the tv and his fisher hi-fi gear, but we'd just buy replacements off the shelf. This swapping of tubes and op-amps for a particular sound is new to me. The fisher had a tone knob for that
ksc75smile.gif

eversharp

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #318 of 338
Reading this page again regarding power cables, my Paradisea 3 shipped about three weeks ago and it DID include a pretty nice looking power cable. I haven't used it as I bought a zu birth in anticipation of receiving the DAC.

eversharp

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #319 of 338
Guys, are there much difference in sound quality b/w the Paradisea + vs. 3? Has anyone compared the Paradisea DAC to Headamp Pico DAC? I'm looking for a DAC for work and want some inputs. Sorry, no time to read the entire thread.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #321 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, are there much difference in sound quality b/w the Paradisea + vs. 3? Has anyone compared the Paradisea DAC to Headamp Pico DAC? I'm looking for a DAC for work and want some inputs. Sorry, no time to read the entire thread.
biggrin.gif

From what I've heard, there is very little to no sound quality difference between the + and the 3. I believe that the Paradisea 3 only has a different PCB layout and different caps; I remember that one person who did compare them found no difference.

Maus, I'm not really sure what the difference between the OPA2228 and OPA2228P is, but I've been using the P for quite a while now and I really enjoy the sound sig - maybe s1rrah would know.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #322 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Effusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've heard, there is very little to no sound quality difference between the + and the 3. I believe that the Paradisea 3 only has a different PCB layout and different caps; I remember that one person who did compare them found no difference.

Maus, I'm not really sure what the difference between the OPA2228 and OPA2228P is, but I've been using the P for quite a while now and I really enjoy the sound sig - maybe s1rrah would know.
normal_smile .gif

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #323 of 338
Are you guys still enjoying your Paradisea's or have you already replaced it? If so, I would like to know why and with what :)

I am currently thinking of trying out the "cheapish" Musiland 02 as I could use it for high res flac files.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #324 of 338

Quote:
Are you guys still enjoying your Paradisea's or have you already replaced it? If so, I would like to know why and with what :)

I am currently thinking of trying out the "cheapish" Musiland 02 as I could use it for high res flac files.

My local head-fi friend, Ken (aka Orcin) got his Paradesea+ quite a bit back (couple years ago?) and is still enjoying it with his Woo 6 SE. Last I heard, he wasn't planning on changing DACs so maybe he'll chime in.

Otherwise, I tried a Musiland DAC before the Paradesea but found it too "digital" sounding, real sharp edged sound, not necessarily bad but just not a good match for my ear and/or my cans.

Good look, though.

j.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #325 of 338
I have a paradisea at work and a havana at home - no plans on changing anything.  I might roll a few tubes now and again, but I am really happy with MHDT products.  The havana is mostly speaker duty for 2 channel and the work rig is headphones

Im not even sure whats an upgrade from here any more and I dont really care.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #327 of 338
the Paradisea DAC (all versions) is an extraordinary DAC. You will not be disappointed. I had a Paradisea 2 for about a year, loved it. I eventually upgraded to a Havana DAC (from the same company/designer) ...

Give it a shot ... it will sell easy if you don't personally like it.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #328 of 338
Got my modified Paradisea+ and alot of extra goodies up for sale : http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-mhdt-paradisea-dac-modified-with-lots-of-extras-including-bendix-6385-lots-of-2013-07-10-digital-98117-seattle-wa

In case anyone is interested.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #329 of 338
Hey,

Just got my Paradisea yesterday and I am just starting to listen to it. I have been using a Peter Daniels USB NOS DAC with the TDA1543, passive output. So far I am really happy with this Paradisea. My initial impressions are that these 2 DACS are nothing alike. I'll have to do some serious comparisons in the near future when I get my USB to Coaxial converter for my computer but right now I am just enjoying my new toy!

I was wondering if anyone has tried a 5894 tube yet? It is listed as being compatible with this DAC and it has a completely different plate structure then any of the other equivalents that I have used before in My Grant Fidelity DAC-09. They aren't expensive at all so I ordered a Philips tube for $6 but there are Amperex tubes available for $10. I figure its worth trying but I wouldn't want to inadvertently damage that DAC from using this tube that looks a bit strange. Just want to check that I am right about this tube. Here is a link.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-AMPEREX-JAN-CEP-5894-GOLD-PIN-VACUUM-TUBE-MADE-IN-THE-U-S-A-GUARANTEED-GOOD-/181178973758?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a2f1bbe3e&_uhb=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back