MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #646 of 897
I have the Audial S4 and the Atlantis. Love both immensely. They offer a different presentation and both keep impressing me. I ve had the Atlantis for almost 3 years now. The S4 only for 6 months. The mhdt offers one of the best three dimensional sound stages I have came across. I feel super involved with the music. The S4 has a cleaner very calm and relaxed presentation. I really love both. I use an audio note CD zero as source (coaxial). The cd zero itself has a very good dac but both the atlantis and S4 are a clear improvement. I don't enjoy the sound I get from my macbook pro via usb. I tried audio Nirvana and it did improve things a great deal but still far from the sound quality I get with the audio note as cd transport. I love the flexibility of the atlantis in terms of inputs. I also have an ak300 dap which i often use with my atlantis with outstanding results.

Nice Audio Note gear!!

This is super helpful, thanks for sharing. From what I've read, I get the sense that S4 or S5 might be (somewhat) more resolving (vs. MHDT)... but the improved resolution comes at the cost of (possibly) less musicality or "thereness" ....most specifically with vocal tracks... the MHDT line seems to still be the analog champion (within the relative price range).

I should clearly point out that I've never heard S4/S5, so this is speculative and based on your post (above) and a few articles I found in the basement of the internet :)

Keep us posted as you get further into your S4 :musical_note:

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #647 of 897
Nice Audio Note gear!!

This is super helpful, thanks for sharing. From what I've read, I get the sense that S4 or S5 might be (somewhat) more resolving (vs. MHDT)... but the improved resolution comes at the cost of (possibly) less musicality or "thereness" ....most specifically with vocal tracks... the MHDT line seems to still be the analog champion (within the relative price range).

I should clearly point out that I've never heard S4/S5, so this is speculative and based on your post (above) and a few articles I found in the basement of the internet :)

Keep us posted as you get further into your S4 :musical_note:
you are welcome.

I did a video of the S4, you can find it here:

if I manage to borrow a decent mic I will try to make a comparison:) and post it here.

One thing with the mhdt is that it has higher output voltage and seems to manage to drive poweramps without pre amplifier

cheers

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #648 of 897
you are welcome.

I did a video of the S4, you can find it here:

if I manage to borrow a decent mic I will try to make a comparison:) and post it here.

One thing with the mhdt is that it has higher output voltage and seems to manage to drive poweramps without pre amplifier

cheers

No way...I watched that yesterday (no joke). It was the only Audial video I could find on YouTube.

Great system and setup!!

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #649 of 897
I just received my order of SR Orange fuse from:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/srfuses.html

There's a sale on Orange and Blue.

I ordered a 1a fuse as that's what the manual states the dac uses. But, Bill Dion who used to mod this dac actually recommends 1.6a. I tried to change my order after I placed it but they ignored me so going to stick the 1a fuse in the Orchid after I get a good feel of the AM SHD fuse I just installed in my amp.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #650 of 897
How does one go about changing the fuse on the MHDT Labs Orchid? There isn't one of those typical unscrew-the-cap fuse slots in the back.

Assuming the cover must come off to change the fuse--it is inserted in the usual 2 X 2 prong fuse-holder?

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #651 of 897
original_710198e9-c778-4716-a517-d99e12880fdf_IMG_20220105_182715.jpg

It should be the same.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #652 of 897
More dumbass questions:

1 - "Large/fast blow"? Or something else?

2 - Which is a better sounding fuse in this application? Orange? Purple? Something else?

(I need my head examined to even ask these questions--but I needed that even before asking)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #653 of 897
small slow 5x20 1.0 or 1.6 amp

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #655 of 897
How does one go about changing the fuse on the MHDT Labs Orchid? There isn't one of those typical unscrew-the-cap fuse slots in the back.

Assuming the cover must come off to change the fuse--it is inserted in the usual 2 X 2 prong fuse-holder?

Hi --> check out my post #547 in this thread. I dropped in a photo/diagram.

Yes, cover off. Fuse is unobstructed...over on left side and pops right out. Check out my diagram so you get the circuit flow correct when replacing.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #656 of 897
Hi --> check out my post #547 in this thread. I dropped in a photo/diagram.

Yes, cover off. Fuse is unobstructed...over on left side and pops right out. Check out my diagram so you get the circuit flow correct when replacing.
Damn, that's amazing. Very helpful. I can still screw this up (it's in my nature), but you've just made that less likely.

I really should go back and read the 35+ pages I missed in this thread. It's full of goodies!

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #657 of 897
Damn, that's amazing. Very helpful. I can still screw this up (it's in my nature), but you've just made that less likely.

I really should go back and read the 35+ pages I missed in this thread. It's full of goodies!

Glad it was useful!

It's fun to read the full thread - since not super long. I found Luckbads posts really insightful. It's interesting to read through the history / product evolutions.

Also, check out my post #604, I list a set of 6922 types that I recently acquired. Admittedly, I've been very slow to roll them ... I've been enjoying the Mullard CV4108 /7308 so much that I've left it in... I'll get to the rest sooner vs. later :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #658 of 897
Glad it was useful!

It's fun to read the full thread - since not super long. I found Luckbads posts really insightful. It's interesting to read through the history / product evolutions.

Also, check out my post #604, I list a set of 6922 types that I recently acquired. Admittedly, I've been very slow to roll them ... I've been enjoying the Mullard CV4108 /7308 so much that I've left it in... I'll get to the rest sooner vs. later :)
More fascinating info. Thanks! Didn't realize you could use a 6922 type tube w/an adapter in the Orchid.

I'm currently using an NOS Mullard military CV5331 tube, which has the best sound of the 3 I've tried. But I do have a couple NOS Sylvania 7308s kicking around.

I'm assuming this is the Garage 1217adapter I'll need:

desktop.jpg

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #659 of 897
More fascinating info. Thanks! Didn't realize you could use a 6922 type tube w/an adapter in the Orchid.

I'm currently using an NOS Mullard military CV5331 tube, which has the best sound of the 3 I've tried. But I do have a couple NOS Sylvania 7308s kicking around.

I'm assuming this is the Garage 1217adapter I'll need:

desktop.jpg

That's it. Really great build quality/adapter. One thing to be mindful of when rolling --> this adapter is so well built and the pin grip is rock solid --> so, use a free hand to hold the adapter (gently) down when removing/rolling tube...so not to pull up the entire circuit board from under it. You'll see what I mean once you have it in the socket. Go slow as always :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #660 of 897
That's it. Really great build quality/adapter. One thing to be mindful of when rolling --> this adapter is so well built and the pin grip is rock solid --> so, use a free hand to hold the adapter (gently) down when removing/rolling tube...so not to pull up the entire circuit board from under it. You'll see what I mean once you have it in the socket. Go slow as always :)
Excellent suggestion. I already puzzled that out for myself in past tube rolling (no adapter involved, but same logic).

It was so much easier to remove the current tube if the cover is off & I can hold down the socket as I pull the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back