MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #616 of 897
I recall the RME throwing a deeper stage (out of the box)....but personally (for me) consider this like comparing an Apple to a Cucumber....b/c with the Orchid I can be "there" with the music/artist.

I remember the RME having a wide but not deep soundstage. It's like everything happens on stage Infront of you.
When I got the chord Qutest the staging moved around me and seperation of different instruments was much better. Some details came through louder than others and were much more noticeable. Very involving but also closed in soundstaging overall.
That impression was noticeable immediately from the start of switching the DACs.

I'm curious what a R2R DAC will do to the staging.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #617 of 897
I remember the RME having a wide but not deep soundstage. It's like everything happens on stage Infront of you.
When I got the chord Qutest the staging moved around me and seperation of different instruments was much better. Some details came through louder than others and were much more noticeable. Very involving but also closed in soundstaging overall.
That impression was noticeable immediately from the start of switching the DACs.

I'm curious what a R2R DAC will do to the staging.

Well...DAC comparisons can be tricky... since everyone has different headphones, cables, amplifiers. So, always have to take each others thoughts with a grain of salt. Again, I would not really compare an MHDT to the RME, or Qutest (I also use).

IMHO, the MHDT DACs would be most comparable to a Denafrips, Soekris, Border Patrol, or perhaps Audial gear. I'm probably missing a few in the relative price range.

I find the best way to verify is to research (best you can), then at some point just dive in and try :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #618 of 897
Picked up my orchid recently and it's been working great! It was between this and the Border Patrol SEi which I had tried out. The Border Patrol was good but I prefer the orchid. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
DCS_5684.jpg

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #619 of 897
Picked up my orchid recently and it's been working great! It was between this and the Border Patrol SEi which I had tried out. The Border Patrol was good but I prefer the orchid. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
DCS_5684.jpg

Congrats! Great investment (and nice Meze!) 🎶

BP makes good gear, however, you'll find more fun to be had in tube rolling with Orchid... as well as other mods (should you choose).

The Orchid is fantastic. Enjoy!

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #620 of 897

BP makes good gear, however, you'll find more fun to be had in tube rolling with Orchid... as well as other mods (should you choose).

Wait..."other mods"?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #621 of 897
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #623 of 897
...which was admittedly more of a "lego" maneuver vs. involved cap mod.... but the impact was quite nice without changing the house sound in any way :)
• I would say that: (1) if the body of the component has to be unscrewed and removed to access the fuse for substitution and (2) the disclaimer “no user serviceable parts inside” is on the back of the component, the fuse upgrade is a modification.
• When access to the fuse is via a clip which is above / next to the IEC socket on the back of the component, the fuse upgrade is not a modification. [e.g. Woo Audio WA6]

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #624 of 897

Thanks, I think I'm going to enjoy the system for a bit before I venture. I did get the Ericsson tubes that I believe you had some issues with. To my ears they are working wonderfully but I haven't really compared them either. LTA did give me the stock tubes as well so that'll probably be my first tinkering.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #625 of 897
• I would say that: (1) if the body of the h/p/a has to be unscrewed and removed to access the fuse for substitution and (2) the disclaimer “no user serviceable parts inside” is on the back of the h/p/a, the fuse upgrade is a modification.
• When access to the fuse is via a clip which is above / next to the IEC socket on the back of the h/p/a, the fuse upgrade is not a modification. [e.g. Woo Audio WA6]

This is a great distinction :thumbsup:

I was a little flippant (self-deprecating) with my lego remark. The fuse swap in the Orchid, while not hard, certainly involved thought and some (amperage / circuit flow) understanding, as I noted earlier in the thread. :sunglasses:

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #626 of 897
Thanks, I think I'm going to enjoy the system for a bit before I venture. I did get the Ericsson tubes that I believe you had some issues with. To my ears they are working wonderfully but I haven't really compared them either. LTA did give me the stock tubes as well so that'll probably be my first tinkering.

Thats a good idea. Enjoy it and establish your baseline. Tube rolling is subjective and everyone likes/hears different things. The LTA guys are fantastic...great decision purchasing from them :thumbsup:

If/when you have time, its helpful to read back through this thread (since its only ~40 pages). You can get a great sense for the MHDT evolution over time. Luckbads posts are particularly helpful. Unfortunately, I do not think he is active anymore, but anyone can really benefit from his insights.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #627 of 897
This is a great distinction:thumbsup:

I was a little flippant (self-deprecating) with my lego remark. The fuse swap in the Orchid, while not hard, certainly involved thought and some (amperage / circuit flow) understanding, as I noted earlier in the thread. :sunglasses:
Not that flippant: in Latin, ‘lego’ means ‘l read’.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #628 of 897
Update -
The Toucan after about 100 hours of use and with a EH 6922 gold pins, is very musical and enjoyable without missing much in technicalities.
Reminds me of the Pontus II but with better flow and more effortless, natural sounding.
A hell of an achievement for the price.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #629 of 897
Replacing the stock mains fuse with, for example, a Synergistic Research Purple fuse.
How do you do this? There's no external fuse socket.

More to the point, what happens when you do this? Does the sound change?

I love the sound of this DAC, but hadn't looked at it as mod-able/changeable, beyond rolling the buffer tube (which does pay off with real sonic dividends w/the right tube).

PS: No need to reply. Just read posts above and realize you covered the fuse swap in earlier posts here. I'm only up to pg-4 in reading this thread...got to this party a couple years after purchasing my Orchid (better late than never).

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #630 of 897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back