MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #661 of 897
Will share more thoughts after I've spent more time....

any more thoughts? did you stick to the same fuse orientation?

i just popped in an orange and have the fuse spec reading backwards which seems same as how you installed the grape.

(i just noticed we have different caps...)

Addendum:

These seem to be my caps:
https://www.capselling.com/elna-for-hifi-series-25v-3300uf-audio-capa253300.html
https://www.amazon.com/2pcs-10000uf-35x50mm-Electrolytic-Capacitors-4061/dp/B01JKW8PFA

Are later production using different caps?

Attachments

• PXL_20220213_002210124.jpg
    PXL_20220213_002210124.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #662 of 897
any more thoughts? did you stick to the same fuse orientation?

i just popped in an orange and have the fuse spec reading backwards which seems same as how you installed the grape.

(i just noticed we have different caps...)

Addendum:

These seem to be my caps:
https://www.capselling.com/elna-for-hifi-series-25v-3300uf-audio-capa253300.html
https://www.amazon.com/2pcs-10000uf-35x50mm-Electrolytic-Capacitors-4061/dp/B01JKW8PFA

Are later production using different caps?

I decided not to post (again) on the "fuse" singularly. Reason being, I made additional significant upgrades throughout my chain. I moved all my power, interconnects and HPC over to a Colorado based company (Audio Envy). So, at this point, I can't give isolated thoughts on just the fuse.

Re: Caps --> what year is your Orchid?

Prior to the additional changes, from the Fuse, I noticed greater dynamics, staging, and also micro-details within certain (familiar) tracks that when listening carefully I had not previously noticed. Keep in mind, we are talking about at best ~10% incremental value. The fuse does not bring massive change, but IMHO, it's really positive...smile on your face noticable. For my setup, it was a worthwhile venture.

I did not flip my fuse after installing and listening. Prior to the mod... I had emailed Jiun to ask what direction the circuit flowed...so felt confident going in that I had it correct first time ...although possible I goofed (always learning).

Closing thoughts / thinking out-loud... if one was to make an investment conscious decision, I would suggest focusing investment on a great Tube first (stating obvious), and then most likely interconnects (second) prior to Fuse (third). By way of example, the recent Mullard CV4108/7308 was IMHO a significant advancement (to my ear) over the WE2C51 (1950s) which was previously my go-to tube. This list/sequence.... assumes of course Headphones are already well invested in and good-to-go :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #663 of 897
I decided not to post (again) on the "fuse" singularly. Reason being, I made additional significant upgrades throughout my chain. I moved all my power, interconnects and HPC over to a Colorado based company (Audio Envy). So, at this point, I can't give isolated thoughts on just the fuse.

Re: Caps --> what year is your Orchid?

Prior to the additional changes, from the Fuse, I noticed greater dynamics, staging, and also micro-details within certain (familiar) tracks that when listening carefully I had not previously noticed. Keep in mind, we are talking about at best ~10% incremental value. The fuse does not bring massive change, but IMHO, it's really positive...smile on your face noticable. For my setup, it was a worthwhile venture.

I did not flip my fuse after installing and listening. Prior to the mod... I had emailed Jiun to ask what direction the circuit flowed...so felt confident going in that I had it correct first time ...although possible I goofed (always learning).

Closing thoughts / thinking out-loud... if one was to make an investment conscious decision, I would suggest focusing investment on a great Tube first (stating obvious), and then most likely interconnects (second) prior to Fuse (third). By way of example, the recent Mullard CV4108/7308 was IMHO a significant advancement (to my ear) over the WE2C51 (1950s) which was previously my go-to tube. This list/sequence.... assumes of course Headphones are already well invested in and good-to-go :)

I think the original owner bought it March 2020 from LTA.

I am on the same boat as you regarding the fuse. I am making a lot of changes and not giving each component enough burn before giving them justice in terms of evaluations. I did get an initial "Ok I hear a positive but minor difference" after I popped the orange into the orchid. But, when I popped the audio magic SHD into the MZ2, it felt like a "component" upgrade. If I have to do it again, I'd probably go for a higher end audio magic ultimate or hyper supreme whatever they call their pricier fuses instead of the orange.

I did get the garage 6922 adapter but still in transit. Currently have WE tube that was upgrade offered by LTA.

Addendum:

Jiun just replied that the Elna was his original cap for orchid before it ran out hence switching to Epcos.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #664 of 897

I am on the same boat as you regarding the fuse. I am making a lot of changes and not giving each component enough burn before giving them justice in terms of evaluations. I did get an initial "Ok I hear a positive but minor difference" after I popped in the orange into the orchid. But, when I popped in the audio magic SHD into the MZ2, it felt like a "component" upgrade. If I have to do it again, I'd probably go for a higher end audio magic ultimate or hyper supreme whatever they call their pricier fuses instead of the orange.

I did get the garage 6922 adapter but still in transit. Currently have WE tube that was upgrade offered by LTA.

Addendum:

Jiun just replied that the Elna was his original cap for orchid before it ran out hence switching to Epcos.

That makes sense...mine is 21' from LTA. I was thinking Jiun might have made a cap/change. BTW, isn't Jiun impressive with email/response...so fast/helpful!

The WE is a really great tube. IMO, leans just a touch warm (which I prefer), good resolution, and very musical/great timbre.

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #665 of 897
That makes sense...mine is 21' from LTA. I was thinking Jiun might have made a cap/change. BTW, isn't Jiun impressive with email/response...so fast/helpful!

The WE is a really great tube. IMO, leans just a touch warm (which I prefer), good resolution, and very musical/great timbre.

FYI Jiun said the Elna are slightly softer sounding than Epcos. Yes, not only is he fast but also answers questions effectively.

I have no point of reference in terms of tubes since I haven't rolled any but this dac was love at first tone so do think it will be hard to top the WE.

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #666 of 897
FYI Jiun said the Elna are slightly softer sounding than Epcos. Yes, not only is he fast but also answers questions effectively.

I have no point of reference in terms of tubes since I haven't rolled any but this dac was love at first tone so do think it will be hard to top the WE.
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what sound impact the cap variation has. Interesting.

Agree. The Orchid is an incredible sounding DAC. 🎶🎶

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #667 of 897

I am on the same boat as you regarding the fuse. I am making a lot of changes and not giving each component enough burn before giving them justice in terms of evaluations. I did get an initial "Ok I hear a positive but minor difference" after I popped the orange into the orchid. But, when I popped the audio magic SHD into the MZ2, it felt like a "component" upgrade. If I have to do it again, I'd probably go for a higher end audio magic ultimate or hyper supreme whatever they call their pricier fuses instead of the orange.

Addendum:

I'm getting more interested in the fuse thing...though 1st priority is getting the Garage 1217 adapter so I can hear my NOS Sylvania 7308 in the Orchid.

Just for sits & giggles, I added the ultimate audio magic beeswax (names!) fuse in the Cart @Kitsune.com. The description of the fuse kept saying "Specify Fuse Type on Checkout." But I got all the way through checkout, just short of pressing the "buy" button, and never got a choice of fuse types.

So what is the fuse type? Is it the same "small slow 5x20 1.0 or 1.6 amp" you recommended to me the other day? If yes, looks like I'll have to contact Kitsune via email and buy it that way...

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #668 of 897
I'm getting more interested in the fuse thing...though 1st priority is getting the Garage 1217 adapter so I can hear my NOS Sylvania 7308 in the Orchid.

Just for sits & giggles, I added the ultimate audio magic beeswax (names!) fuse in the Cart @Kitsune.com. The description of the fuse kept saying "Specify Fuse Type on Checkout." But I got all the way through checkout, just short of pressing the "buy" button, and never got a choice of fuse types.

So what is the fuse type? Is it the same "small slow 5x20 1.0 or 1.6 amp" you recommended to me the other day? If yes, looks like I'll have to contact Kitsune via email and buy it that way...
If you're getting AM fuse, then no reason to get 1.6a. Bill who used to modify Orchids stated SR fuses are sensitive and recommended 1.6a in Orchid.

When I purchased, I used paypal and entered specification in pp notes. Or, you can email tim at support@kitsunehifi.com.

Yes, please take one for the team and get the AM fuse for the orchid and tell us what you think. I want to get the same fuse but already splurged on the orange so... (burn in for SR is about 300 hours and i am on like 3 hours.)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #669 of 897
So, I've use the Garage adapter with an Amperex ECC88 tubes for a few days.

Compared to the WE396a, I have two distinct experiences.

1) On what I consider well recorded media and what I consider decent quality upload, the highs are ethereal, the mids are a bit more recessed, the soundstage is wider, I think I hear more background details.
2) On what I consider average recorded media to lower than average quality upload, the sound is rather flat.

On 1) I wouldn't say I prefer ECC88 over WE396a, I consider it a different flavor so it's a horizontal move. WE396a is more lush especially in the mids.
On 2) WE396a is more even handed on even the lower quality media.

So, I prefer WE396a.

I use youtube as my main music listening source these days. So, YMMV.

I might consider a more mid-centric 6922 tube to try to get best of both world scenario such as Mullard and Valvo as some have recommended here. Anyone know whether these dacs can take a 7DJ8 tube?

Attachments

• PXL_20220215_191531881.jpg
    PXL_20220215_191531881.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #670 of 897
So, I've use the Garage adapter with an Amperex ECC88 tubes for a few days.

Compared to the WE396a, I have two distinct experiences.

1) On what I consider well recorded media and what I consider decent quality upload, the highs are ethereal, the mids are a bit more recessed, the soundstage is wider, I think I hear more background details.
2) On what I consider average recorded media to lower than average quality upload, the sound is rather flat.

On 1) I wouldn't say I prefer ECC88 over WE396a, I consider it a different flavor so it's a horizontal move. WE396a is more lush especially in the mids.
On 2) WE396a is more even handed on even the lower quality media.

So, I prefer WE396a.

I use youtube as my main music listening source these days. So, YMMV.

I might consider a more mid-centric 6922 tube to try to get best of both world scenario such as Mullard and Valvo as some have recommended here.
I wonder if this is different if You listen to FLAC files. Youtube is not the best quality. I find it a bit flat and shouty. I do not hear any difference between MQA and normal Tidal quality, but really hear the difference between Tidal and Youtube.

And mullards are magic:)

Just got my Raytheons for MHDT. Need to check them.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #671 of 897
I wonder if this is different if You listen to FLAC files. Youtube is not the best quality. I find it a bit flat and shouty. I do not hear any difference between MQA and normal Tidal quality, but really hear the difference between Tidal and Youtube.

And mullards are magic:)

Just got my Raytheons for MHDT. Need to check them.
I just compared two songs on flac with two songs on yt. flac is ripped from cd via eac and played on foobar.

song 1: sarah blasko's down on love.
tube: I prefer Amperex ECC88 on both flac and yt.
format: can't tell the diff between flac and yt

song2: richard hawley's tonight the streets are ours.
tube: I prefer WE396a on both flac and yt.
format: yt sounded flatter, it's only 480p upload.

Comment: sarah's highs are accentuated by the Amperex whereas richard's soulful lows are without soul on same tube. either way, WE sounds more human to me.

I also can't hear the diff between tidal hifi and mqa even while i was using a mqa dac that does the final unfold. i tested various music sites during the past year or so. qobuz sounded decent but don't like gui and recommendations. apple is not better gui or sound wise and doesn't have high res for non apple users. tidal is best gui and recommendation but not better than youtube music that's free. but, sound quality depends on the quality of the media that's uploaded. i think most media that's uploaded onto yt after 2010 is pretty good. but, i like 80s and 90s music too and those are not as forgiveable on yt with amperex vis a vis WE.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #672 of 897
I just compared two songs on flac with two songs on yt. flac is ripped from cd via eac and played on foobar.

song 1: sarah blasko's down on love.
tube: I prefer Amperex ECC88 on both flac and yt.
format: can't tell the diff between flac and yt

song2: richard hawley's tonight the streets are ours.
tube: I prefer WE396a on both flac and yt.
format: yt sounded flatter, it's only 480p upload.

Comment: sarah's highs are accentuated by the Amperex whereas richard's soulful lows are without soul on same tube. either way, WE sounds more human to me.

I also can't hear the diff between tidal hifi and mqa even while i was using a mqa dac that does the final unfold. i tested various music sites during the past year or so. qobuz sounded decent but don't like gui and recommendations. apple is not better gui or sound wise and doesn't have high res for non apple users. tidal is best gui and recommendation but not better than youtube music that's free. but, sound quality depends on the quality of the media that's uploaded. i think most media that's uploaded onto yt after 2010 is pretty good. but, i like 80s and 90s music too and those are not as forgiveable on yt with amperex vis a vis WE.
I use mainly Siemens CCa in My Orchid now, which seems to work fine with all music, but planning to switch to Mullard. I guess all is about synergy. I use tube amp and cardas cables, so mullard may be too much here for me. I have not tried WE, but hope to buy one and try.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #673 of 897
I use mainly Siemens CCa in My Orchid now, which seems to work fine with all music, but planning to switch to Mullard. I guess all is about synergy. I use tube amp and cardas cables, so mullard may be too much here for me. I have not tried WE, but hope to buy one and try.
i've tried golden and neutral reference. former is very warm. my speakers have compression horns for highs so maybe i don't need anything that helps accentuate the highs...

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #675 of 897
I had a chance to roll a NOS Telefunken E88CC into the Orchid today. Setup was Orchid --> Burson Soloist 3XP --> ZMF Aeolus

For me, the Telefunken was just not my cup of tea. I still prefer the timbre and overall smoothness of Mullard CV4108/7308.

I understand why some folks love Telefunken. The tube was highly resolving, I'd go so far to describe it as clinical. Personally, prefer vocals to be less forward and ever so slightly rolled-off up top, without sacrificing sparkle. Admittedly, I am guilty of not giving this tube more than an hour (poor tube rolling behavior), however, I know what "peak" Aeolus sounds like in my setup/chain. I'll probably try it again later in the week with a few other headphones.

P.S. --> Just for my education... if anyone knows what the code stamped in the diamond means I'd be interested in learning? I'll look around for a Telefunken code sheet as well.

IMG_2034.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back