MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jun 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #151 of 894
The new MHDT Labs Canary is outstanding. A very romantic and musical sounding DAC.

I now understand the infatuation with its predecessor, the Paradisea.

It's a bit thicker sounding and wetter than the Atlantis, so I'll likely roll in a slightly more airy and detailed tube at some point.

It really is an excellent value and I highly recommend it.

If you want a proper taste of a great R-2R NOS DAC, you couldn't make a better choice than the MHDT Labs Canary. It's a great value and sounds awesome.

The only cheaper option I could recommend is the Starting Point Systems DAC 3. It's not quite as good as the Canary and you can't tune the sound with tubes, but it's a bit less expensive.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #152 of 894
The new MHDT Labs Canary is outstanding. A very romantic and musical sounding DAC.

I now understand the infatuation with its predecessor, the Paradisea.

It's a bit thicker sounding and wetter than the Atlantis, so I'll likely roll in a slightly more airy and detailed tube at some point.

It really is an excellent value and I highly recommend it.

If you want a proper taste of a great R-2R NOS DAC, you couldn't make a better choice than the MHDT Labs Canary. It's a great value and sounds awesome.

The only cheaper option I could recommend is the Starting Point Systems DAC 3. It's not quite as good as the Canary and you can't tune the sound with tubes, but it's a bit less expensive.

Very interesting, I have a few friends who love the Paradisea so I'm excited to hear more about the Canary - I've been on the prowl looking for a MHDT DAC for a while and this one falls a bit more in line with the amount I'd be willing to spend than the Stockholm V2 so that's good news.

Any idea if they give you the option of going balanced with the Canary? I know people with balanced Havanas 1 and 2, as well as Stockholm, I've e-mailed MHDT regarding this query of mine (as well as figuring out how much extra I'd have to pay for it) but haven't got a reply as of yet sadly.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #155 of 894
Btw guys, earlier i mentioned about a electrical hum from Atlantis. As it turns out its because bad distrubution of electricity of the apartment. My room's outlets share switch with another room. I tried my system at my friend's house and there was no hum. I'm getting seperate switch for my audio chain now.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #156 of 894
The Canary is enjoying its place in my work setup. Really loving it. In my search for other owners, I discovered that they used to make a Canary.

That version had 2 chips instead of 4, op-amps, and some other differences.

It has a lovely musicality to it. Highly recommended.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #157 of 894
The Canary is enjoying its place in my work setup. Really loving it. In my search for other owners, I discovered that they used to make a Canary.

May i know how it compare to audiogd's line of 1704UK nos dac?

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #158 of 894

Yea I googled it before and found a few threads from like 2012-2014 regarding an earlier version of the Canary.

Would you say the Canary is far behind their other offerings, for example the Atlantis/Stockholm you used to own? I'm considering buying one for my office so I'm not concerned with it being slightly worse than their more expensive DACs as long as it is still competitive for the price. "lovely musicality" is pretty much what I'm looking for, non-fatiguing and smooth sound for long work sessions - from my research it seemed the Stockholm V2 was the most fitting for my needs and sonic preferences, however with the addition of the much cheaper Canary I'm re-weighing my options. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #159 of 894
I still have an Atlantis with some nice mods. Recently sold my Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MKII and I'm using that as my main.

Compared to Stockholm, the Canary has a little less authority to its sound. But the Canary has a more relaxing feeling to its euphony.

For a work DAC, I prefer the Canary.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #160 of 894
Ah yea, I have read about your modded Atlantis - impressive piece.

That's great to hear, I'll most definitely be buying a Canary within the near future then. I'd like to get it with balanced outs (weird that they don't offer those as standard given they have 4 chips) in order to not have to use a passive DI to handle the signal splitting properly and the XLRs into my monoblocks but at $700 it's hardly a deal breaker.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #161 of 894
This isn't MHDT Lab related but it is R2R DAC related and so wanted to see if any of you caught this when it was for sale a bit earlier this year ...

It's a custom build buy a Head-fi user and I forget what he sold it for but I think it went for something like $1600+ ... it's really beautiful, and was wondering if anybody had experience with this particular DAC chip (AD1865) ... also, it has a true analogue tube output stage (as opposed to a simple buffer) ...

Here's the original for sale thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/781814/fs-premium-r-2r-ad1865-based-dac-with-tube-analog-stage

Some photos (so nice): 

Just a conversation piece ...

FYI

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #163 of 894
Same chip as on Atlantis but just like the Atlantis it's going to heavily rely on the components around the chips for sound.

Ahhh ... interesting ... I didn't put that together ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back