MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
May 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #136 of 897
Anyone also consider the Metrum Musette before choosing the Pagoda? Or have heard both? Two R2R dacs I'm consider with Similar price points.

May 30, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #137 of 897
I just received a Pagoda last week which I purchased used, so its plenty burnt in. I have about 6 hours of listening under my belt and I haven't quite figured it out. On some softer more delicate musical numbers it ranks right up there with my old Audio Note. However, on some more aggressive songs with electric guitar it sometimes can be a little digitally glaring. Is this just me being overly sensitive to the treble, not sure.

It came with a WE 2C51 tube which comes recommended and I have a Tesla 6CC42 D getter coming. Overall i give it a thumbs up.I may get a Stockholm and try it out.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone out there have a AEG 5670 tube they would like to sell?

2. is there a difference in sound between inputs? BNC, USB, RCA, TOSLINK

3. Has anyone experienced this:
My Apple computer recognizes the Pagoda but doesn't seem to lock into the Pagoda, it recognizes it in preferences however always plays through the computers internal speaker even when I choose the Pagoda as the output source. I have to reboot several times and keep choosing the Pagoda then it will play through the external speakers after doing.

Thanks and happy to be part of the MHDT group.
John

May 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #138 of 897
Hi John, how did the previous owner use the dac? If they were feeding it via optical or spdif then the usb needs some run time. Also these DACs usually sound better after a full day of being on, the usb clocks do stabilize after being on for at least 12-24hrs (this is considering that the usb has been burned in through use). If you do not wish to leave your dac on you can get a ddc like the breeze audio du-u8 and leave that on, which would then make your warm-up time around 1-2hrs for the tube to get optimal. BNC or RCA spdif would be the way to go, if you're coming in from a tower pc then toslink may be better if isolation from the pc is needed.

If the tube is new then that could make things harsh. If the recording has any hint of glare or peaks, The pagoda will show it. The nature of this dac is not as forgiving as the other MHDT units. If you look for warmth with romantic mids the Stockholm is the way to go, if balance and tube rolling/big sound changes is what you want then go with an Atlantis. The Pagoda has the widest soundstage and expansive sound but tuning it in takes a bit more effort than say the easier to use Stockholm or Atlantis.

Try a powered usb hub or something like a Schiit wyrd or uptone regen, I've seen that problem with some Windows 10 computers recognizing the DAC but not locking it in. First make sure it's not the DAC by trying it on another computer, if thec issue is isolated to a certain computer then most likely the usb has issues and needs external 5v power to lock.

May 30, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #139 of 897

Thank you for the reply.
I'm not sure how the previous owner used it, he did say that the unit /tube should be fully run in. I have no problem leaving it on for 24 hours.
I'm using a Mac Mini for a server. whats weird is the computer recognizes the DAC but will still play through internal speakers even when I select NHDT Dac in the preferences. It drives me crazy. Should I turn on the computer or Dac first?

I do enjoy the detail the Pagoda gives me because my system needs it, just not the occasional harshness. Overall though I think it's a winner and tremendous bang for the buck.Although if I see a used Stockholm I may jump on it to see what the fuss is about.

May 30, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #140 of 897
  I just received a Pagoda last week which I purchased used, so its plenty burnt in. I have about 6 hours of listening under my belt and I haven't quite figured it out. On some softer more delicate musical numbers it ranks right up there with my old Audio Note. However, on some more aggressive songs with electric guitar it sometimes can be a little digitally glaring. Is this just me being overly sensitive to the treble, not sure.

It came with a WE 2C51 tube which comes recommended and I have a Tesla 6CC42 D getter coming. Overall i give it a thumbs up.I may get a Stockholm and try it out.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone out there have a AEG 5670 tube they would like to sell?

2. is there a difference in sound between inputs? BNC, USB, RCA, TOSLINK

3. Has anyone experienced this:
My Apple computer recognizes the Pagoda but doesn't seem to lock into the Pagoda, it recognizes it in preferences however always plays through the computers internal speaker even when I choose the Pagoda as the output source. I have to reboot several times and keep choosing the Pagoda then it will play through the external speakers after doing.

Thanks and happy to be part of the MHDT group.
John

The AEG 5670 sounds like a Bendix 2c51 or a Bendix 6385 ... it is clean, airy and detailed.  I doubt it will help with what you perceive as "glare" in the highs ...

That said, the AEG 5670 is my current and long time go to tube in my own Pagoda ... and I listen via  Mapletree Audio tube amp and Grado PS1000's ... further, I'm hugely senstitive to glare and stridency in high frequencies and I don't have any problems with the Pagoda at all ... it's certainly more detailed than the MHDT Stockholm and Havana DACs but I never find it fatiguing or even slightly bothersome.  It's far more "clinical" in it's performance, though ... 

The Western Electric tube in your Pagoda is a more relaxed, smooth sounding tube than is the AEG 5670 ...

I had lived daily with a Stockholm v2 for years and when I heard the Pagoda, it took some getting used to.  Identical DAC circuits but the use of the PCM1704 DAC chip in the Pagoda causes things to sound quite noticeably different.  Still NOS/R2R ... but the 1704 digs way deeper in details than does the PCM56K ...

Best,
Joel

May 30, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #141 of 897

Thanks Joel,

I'm going to give it a lot more listening time before making rash moves like upgrading caps or power supply.
Like Is said, it's amazing with the right music and recording. I'm really quite surprised of the level of performance given the price point. Also I'll give the Tesla tube a try.
Also I would like to thank all of you who took the time to post reviews and personnel experiences. It really helps to make decisions.

Equipment:
Mac Mini
Pagoda
McIntosh C2300 Pre Amp
McIntosh MC240 Amp
Audio Note ANE/Spe

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #142 of 897
Holy cow, MHDT snuck a new DAC into the mix! 4x TDA1545A follow-up to the Paradisea called the Canary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122010816689

It's officially time to sell one of my Atlantis DACs (the non-modded one, of course) and pick one of these babies up. If someone wants an Atlantis for $699 so I can buy the baby model for flavor differences, let me know!

It looks to be the cheapest of the litter, but know the TDA1545 chip, it'll be very musical if a bit smeary.

Mhdt Labs

Canary DAC is a successor model of our successful Paradisea series DAC. 
Canary DAC is capable of up to 24bits/192kHz digital signal inputs. Canary DAC installed four Philips TDA1545A chips to improve the dynamic response and resolution.   
Canary DAC is a non over-sampling, no digital filter, no op-amp, no feedback structured DAC.  This tends to produce most realistic and natural sound. 

Available in sliver cabinet only.

Specifications:
  1. Digital Receiver CS8416 x 1
  2. D/A converter TDA1545A x 4 (can be 1 ~ 4)
  3. I/V stage: discrete transistors no OP-AMP no feedback   
  4. Frequency response: 20 Hz to 18 kHz (± 2dB)
  5. Output impedance:  32 ohms
  6. Output level:  3.0 Vrms   
  7. USB input 16, 24 bits 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192 kHz; drivers required
  8. USB inputs are all in asynchronous operation.
  9. All other inputs (SPDIF) 16, 24 bits 32 kHz up to 192 kHz
  10. Dimensions clear (W x D X H) 276 x 150 x 60 mm
  11. Dimensions w/ socket (W x D X H) 295 x 170 x 60 mm
  12. Weight : 2 kg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #144 of 897
Hey guys, I have a question for you.

I have Atlantis dac. When it's powered up, it starts with hum noise (low level 50-60 hz noise). The hum diminishes by time. Hum exists only when there is no signal. When a song starts to play it ceases humming.

Is it normal for a tube component? or is it cause of bad ac?

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #145 of 897

I have Atlantis dac. When it's powered up, it starts with hum noise (low level 50-60 hz noise). The hum diminishes by time. Hum exists only when there is no signal. When a song starts to play it ceases humming.

Some R2R chips have a normal higher noise floor but I don't think the Atlantis should have this issue. When you say it diminishes by time, after an hour or so of playing with no signal there is no hum? Have you tried other tubes?

You may be experiencing a ground loop as well, try plugging the DAC or Amp to a different outlet from one another and see if that fixes it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #146 of 897

Some R2R chips have a normal higher noise floor but I don't think the Atlantis should have this issue. When you say it diminishes by time, after an hour or so of playing with no signal there is no hum? Have you tried other tubes?

You may be experiencing a ground loop as well, try plugging the DAC or Amp to a different outlet from one another and see if that fixes it.

Hum noise diminishes as it keeps working, with ot without recieving signal. Yes it has the hum with all of my tubes. Btw if this information helps identifying the problem: the sound of hum sometimes increases and decreases quickly.

Like: MMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #147 of 897

Hum noise diminishes as it keeps working, with ot without recieving signal. Yes it has the hum with all of my tubes. Btw if this information helps identifying the problem: the sound of hum sometimes increases and decreases quickly.

Whats your amp? Just looked and it seems you have a Stax, are you using a specific energizer? Have you tried a different amp headpones or stereo? Have you singled it out to the DAC? Meaning it doesn't exist with other DACs or maybe test the hum is from the amp?

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #148 of 897

Whats your amp? Just looked and it seems you have a Stax, are you using a specific energizer? Have you tried a different amp headpones or stereo? Have you singled it out to the DAC? Meaning it doesn't exist with other DACs or maybe test the hum is from the amp?

My amp is Srm-252s, currently working with a walwart. There was no humming issues with my other dacs but they were working with either usb power (HRT MS II+) or power supply (Smsl M8). It might be due to poor powering. Cuz i have one outlet in my room and all my devices gets power from it.

When i get the signal from my computer's exit, there is no hum btw.

The hum is nearly not audible at normal listening levels (pot at 11 o'clock).

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #150 of 897
Got home from Cancun today to find that the Canary arrived. Not going to have any real listening time today but plugged it in for a few minutes. Already sounds good cold. Great soundstage depth. Definitely has the Philips sound.

Exciting. Looking forward to your impressipns i am currently debating between a Havana, X-sabre or Bifrost. Three completely different DACs I know and the MHDT ones really have my curiosity

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back