MHDT Havana DAC
Feb 26, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,786 of 2,680
Your dacs are not too clear after changing all these components ? I didn't change stock film capacitors, nor put silver mica caps, r-core or high quality connectors yet and mine was quite clear in fact. I'd like more definition but fear the sound to be too bright or loose some magic by doing so.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #1,787 of 2,680

Quote:
Your dacs are not too clear after changing all these components ? I didn't change stock film capacitors, nor put silver mica caps, r-core or high quality connectors yet and mine was quite clear in fact. I'd like more definition but fear the sound to be too bright or loose some magic by doing so.

what have you replaced so far?
Choice of the components is not simple.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,788 of 2,680

Quote:

The sound is not bright at all after You change these components. I said, it's primarily a high coherence. Transparent sound should not necessarily escalate in sound brighter; is if you, a deep feeling of "life-like", a more realism.
But depends on personal preference and only after comparative tests you can correctly conclude.

Actually I know two sources which recommend the connector upgrade: http://www.dms-audio.com/havana-dac-mods
Chris Johnson from Parts ConneXion also recommended as a critical change, or to call at least medium importance.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,790 of 2,680

Quote:

With the amp I'm testing this weekend removing the c5 cap is a must as the amp is duller and earthier.

I am a bit unclear about what removing C5 or C25 capacitor entails. When you remove C5 or C25, do you need to run a hookup wire to complete the circuit?

Also, will 2 Watt versions of the Audio Note Tantalum resistors work, or do you need to stick with 1 watt versions? I read somewhere that the 2 watt versions are supposed to sound better...

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,791 of 2,680

Hi,

No need to run any hook up wire etc, just remove C5 and C25, they are only being used as bypass caps.

Also no difference between 2W and 1W resistors in this application just use 1W,   2 watts are much bigger in size and would be a pain to fit in easily.    

Quote:
I am a bit unclear about what removing C5 or C25 capacitor entails. When you remove C5 or C25, do you need to run a hookup wire to complete the circuit?

Also, will 2 Watt versions of the Audio Note Tantalum resistors work, or do you need to stick with 1 watt versions? I read somewhere that the 2 watt versions are supposed to sound better...

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,792 of 2,680
@ Kendrab : I agree with Kkqewl.

@ the others :

I compared the havana with a Primare cd31 cd amp this afternoon : 2500 euros http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=9566

At the stage of my upgrades in the dac, the cd31 is still better : slightly more refined and above all more opened. Lack of highs and clarity was the first main impression, the havana sounded too dense/thick compared to Primare. Depending on recordings mids could also appear too proeminent but I believe it's exactly because of the lack of highs we felt. A bit les details. It results a narrower soundstage and thick sound in comparison.

Second difference music is a bit more natural and liquid (what i called refined) with primare. Havana can appear slighlty rough. It's nicer on the primare.

I also noticed a better accuracy (a bit) regarding instruments placement.

We both had the same impressions. In conclusion, the primare is still more musical than havana, more high end. It's quite noticeable, especially clarity and opening.

Havana was plugged on coax audioquest cable and both were on an audio research LS1 pre-amp and PEL Kantor S2 speakers.

What I've changed in the havana at the moment : k-chips, silmic ps caps, mundorf sgo output caps, mundorf sgo input cap, shinkoh res, shottky diodes and removed c5 cap.

I must precise that the room was quite dull with carpets and pieces of furniture, mine is quite brilliant and I don't feel that lack of highs at home. But direct comparison clearly gives cd31 as a winner. I hope I chose the proper english words and you can understand what I said.

I'm waiting for my new amp for the moment, so I don't change anything more and will start again after (siilver mica caps, film caps....).

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,794 of 2,680

Quote:
I compared the havana with a Primare cd31 cd amp this afternoon : 2500 euros http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=9566
At the stage of my upgrades in the dac, the cd31 is still better : slightly more refined and above all more opened. Lack of highs and clarity was the first main impression, the havana sounded too dense/thick compared to Primare. Depending on recordings mids could also appear too proeminent but I believe it's exactly because of the lack of highs we felt. A bit les details. It results a narrower soundstage and thick sound in comparison.
Second difference music is a bit more natural and liquid (what i called refined) with primare. Havana can appear slighlty rough. It's nicer on the primare.
We both had the same impressions. In conclusion, the primare is still more musical than havana, more high end. It's quite noticeable, especially clarity and opening.

Instead, the audition on electrostatic headphones with Havana is nice, very relaxed. However, I noticed before doing all up-grades the lack of transparency, sound somewhat dark, lacked expression, and of course, lack detail and clarity, evident in the manner in which I expect to be the sound in these chapters; ...too many gaps,
Probably a Bendix (1964 production) would open the sound in detail level and transparency!

PS: I heard for the first time this weekend Havana on a speaker setup. It was a system of approx. 10.000 euros: Audio Alchemy Mark 7 with ScanSpeak and Rockna Audio (Wavequest). The system was equipped with a performing power conditioner and good cables. I was impressed with how it performed Havana.
Emphasize again that something must be remembered here: Havana is highly dependent the transport capable lowered value of jitter (rejection native due to poor!!). Very wide criticism..
Here may result spectacular differences in terms of sound; then the power source, etc..Every detail counts.
... and last but not least, the approximately two hundred hours of running capacitors.
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,795 of 2,680

Agreed.  When I added the Sonic Diverter USB/SPDIF converter ahead of the Havana, the improvement across the board was amazing.

Quote:

Instead, the audition on electrostatic headphones with Havana is nice, very relaxed. However, I noticed before doing all up-grades the lack of transparency, sound somewhat dark, lacked expression, and of course, lack detail and clarity, evident in the manner in which I expect to be the sound in these chapters; ...too many gaps,
Probably a Bendix (1964 production) would open the sound in detail level and transparency!

PS: I heard for the first time this weekend Havana on a speaker setup. It was a system of approx. 10.000 euros: Audio Alchemy Mark 7 with ScanSpeak and Rockna Audio (Wavequest). The system was equipped with a performing power conditioner and good cables. I was impressed with how it performed Havana.
Emphasize again that something must be remembered here: Havana is highly dependent the transport capable lowered value of jitter (rejection native due to poor!!). Very wide criticism..
Here may result spectacular differences in terms of sound; then the power source, etc..Every detail counts.
... and last but not least, the approximately two hundred hours of running capacitors.
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,796 of 2,680

Quote:

If you're looking for much better transparancy this is the tube for you. Someone who prefers warmth should choose JWWE396a or any Bendix from fifties.
Differences are huge between Bendixes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,797 of 2,680
1964 Bendix 6385 is awesome.  JW WE 396 just not engaging in my setup.

Quote:

If you're looking for much better transparancy this is the tube for you. Someone who prefers warmth should choose JWWE396a or any Bendix from fifties.
Differences are huge between Bendixes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,798 of 2,680
@Rocky : I can't say if mundorf caps runned 200 hours but at least 150 (or not far) and may be 200+ (difficult to say). Anyway I'm pretty sure breaking in is over.

@ all : comparison with Primare has been done with a 2c51 ericsson from 1949 tube in the dac. I also have the jw we396a but I don't like it that much as I find it a bit too warm and even fat in the lows or low-mids with my setup. Keep in mind everything is a question of synergy, for example as I said, at home I don't feel the lack of highs we heard in my friend's apartment. In his room it was noticeably unbalanced towards the lows, whereas in my room, which is noticeably brighter, it sounds well balanced.

However transparency, refinment, smoothness, musicality were better with Primare, Especially transparency/clarity and this is easily improvable in my dac with silver mica caps, film caps and so on. The gap was less important regarding refinment and smoothness. Remember also if you don't know it that this Primare cd31 is especially clean, clear and detailed while refined and smooth : it's a very nice sounding cd, I love it, so hard to compete for a 700 euros dac, even tweaked.

I plan to buy the audiophileo usb/spdif once the output power version will be done as well and will make a new comparison after changing silver mica and film caps.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,799 of 2,680
By the way I received SGM silver mica caps few days ago. I don't know if it's normal but I ordered 3 of them on ebay and received something like 25 0.01uf and 25 0.1 uf ones
tongue_smile.gif
. I'll be abble to open an international trade company with that ^^

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,800 of 2,680

Quote:
@ Kendrab : I agree with Kkqewl.

@ the others :

Havana was plugged on coax audioquest cable and both were on an audio research LS1 pre-amp and PEL Kantor S2 speakers.

What I've changed in the havana at the moment : k-chips, silmic ps caps, mundorf sgo output caps, mundorf sgo input cap, shinkoh res, shottky diodes and removed c5 cap.

it's a very nice sounding cd, I love it, so hard to compete for a 700 euros dac, even tweaked.

If you are expecting extreme transparancy and musicality from tha Havana I think you should pay attention to:
first of all - 1964 Bendix 6385. Not any Ericsson (even gold pins) or not JWWE396a or not
any of other replacement of 5670 family can give you better transparancy.
Mundorf sgio 0,22uF, try to put there FT3 Russian (the most transparent and musical of those I tried there),
Output caps - Mundorfs silver gold in oil (they are great but..) - (better transparancy you get when you put Jensen's pure copper foil, paper in oil type caps there, smaller values because of big sizes)
Elna PS caps, I wouldn't trust Chinese sellers. 
K-grade chips only from Korea or Japan (originals olny !!!).
Silver mica 0,01uF from Russia to C12 place - important.
Remember the new caps need 200h of burn-in time at least, black gates even more.
For direct comparisons with CD-players you must use very good digital cable. (power cable is a very important too)
None of 2500Euro priced cd-player should be a competition for the appropriate tweaked Havana, but it is a matter of taste and a good synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back