MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,696 of 2,680
According to different discussions several people think that Tonerex are very warm capacitors so I don't know if it's what I need... I think i'll take 4 x Silmic 1 2200uf 25v because the silmic 1 series are reputated to be a bit less tubey sounding and colored on the midrage than the silmic 2 while keeping a very good quality of timbers (according to all the comments i read). Black Gate looked good, more neutral, but are impossible to find (and expensive) too bad. Anyway, I think it's only hearing the silmic that i'll know if it's what I want or not so....

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,697 of 2,680

Quote:
According to different discussions several people think that Tonerex are very warm capacitors so I don't know if it's what I need... I think i'll take 4 x Silmic 1 2200uf 25v because the silmic 1 series are reputated to be a bit less tubey sounding and colored on the midrage than the silmic 2 while keeping a very good quality of timbers (according to all the comments i read). Black Gate looked good, more neutral, but are impossible to find (and expensive) too bad. Anyway, I think it's only hearing the silmic that i'll know if it's what I want or not so...

In section electrolytic, I have a "mix" of ELNA capacitors including Silmic I, Silmic II, (silk-fiber); 1 pieces (2,200ufX16V) Cerafine (super fine ceremic particles) and 4 pieces (2,200ufX25V) Red Starget ROD (Aluminium electrolytic capacitors). It is very funny. I say again, I don't believe in the existence of generally valid recipes. The sound has a textured character, but at the same time is naturally. Mid-range frequencies are expressed very natural, relaxed, pleasant.
smile.gif

I found an interesting presentation on www.hificollective.co.uk site:

"Which capacitor to use is Difficult to determine without actually trying. It depends on Too Many Factors. To Hear A Certain part of the potential, it's nessecary to change Other shares Often too. Experimenting with different combinations is a more robust way to lift to a higher level of design. In principle the original music signal HAS TO BE preserved as much as Possible, But It's Difficult to Tell Which shares do. For analysing the music signal (harmonic structures changing in time) is still the most our Ears Useful tool. But we're all Calibrated differently. To Some of the color and warmth and SILMIC Adds the Black Gate FK sounds neutral. Others to a neutral SILMIC Because it sounds exactly reproduces natural colors and warmth from the recording, the Black Gate FK sounds more 'hifi' to Them, making the signal more pulsed, peaky (giving attack) and too clean (filtering out natural timbres) .

Often the Combination of different (high quality) capacitors in the right places Gives the best result. Best thing is to try yourself and trust your Ears. Still, We Want Some to mention as a rough guideline General Characteristics (of course tissue has our personal, biased, subject experiences). Apply for tissue characters capacitors in the signal path either used or in the power supply (for digital different rules apply, But There are simularities as well). Lower voltage of the capacitor CAN versions offer more refinement (it's faster, more Presence Gives Towards the mid-highs).

The SILMIC II is best for reproducing different timbres, natural colors and warmth in the recording. It offers most Presence in the low-mid range with lots of texture (tangible). Bass is round and warm, the mid and highrange is very refined, 'silky', quiet, with lots of openess But (More Than CERAFINE open, less open Than Black Gate FK).

Also very good is the CERAFINE for reproducing different timbres, natural colors, But Has More Than SILMIC direct sound (less directly Than Black Gate FK). Bass is round and warm, the midrange and the high Presence HAS most range is lively.

The Black Gate FK HAS the most open and clean sound, with the main Presence in the high range. It sounds thinner, offers somewhat less texture and stamps. It offers most pulse, attack in Both the low, mid and high ranges."

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,698 of 2,680

Quote:

In section electrolytic, I have a "mix" of ELNA capacitors including Silmic I, Silmic II, (silk-fiber); 1 pieces (2,200ufX16V) Cerafine (super fine ceremic particles) and 4 pieces (2,200ufX25V) Red Starget ROD (Aluminium electrolytic capacitors). It is very funny. I say again, I don't believe in the existence of generally valid recipes. The sound has a textured character, but at the same time is naturally. Mid-range frequencies

I have also a mix of caps, Elna SiImlic II, BG FK, BG F, Elna ROB Tonerex and some left Nichicon.
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,699 of 2,680
I totally agree, this is what I said to myself when I read all the comments on the web about existing caps. each one can give a different touch to the sound and mix them together certainly can build a combination that would more or less approach what you really expect (or not depending of the cap combination !). On the other hand, like Fathead said these caps just have a part of the overall sound, and i guess it's quite difficult to find the right combination... It must be a funny puzzle to imrpove.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,700 of 2,680
Just a word of caution to all those looking to upgrade capacitors, some of the Silmic ll caps on Ebay are fakes,  especially those from China.
Some are obvious such as  3300uf  @ 50V  etc.

Elna never made a Sillmic ll in any thing over 1000uf  @25v   , 2200uf only goes up to 16v rating and 3300uf a max of 10volts.

Do not get suckered in to overpaying for these clearly inferior and unreliable fake caps !! 

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,701 of 2,680

Quote:
Just a word of caution to all those looking to upgrade capacitors, some of the Silmic ll caps on Ebay are fakes,  especially those from China.
Some are obvious such as  3300uf  @ 50V  etc.

Elna never made a Sillmic ll in any thing over 1000uf  @25v   , 2200uf only goes up to 16v rating and 3300uf a max of 10volts.

Do not get suckered in to overpaying for these clearly inferior and unreliable fake caps !! 

Check in hificollective shop in UK, they do not sell fakes, you can find there Elna Silmic II 3300uf 50V, I would also avoid buying items from china sellers.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #1,705 of 2,680
There's no sound coming from my dac anymore, I don't know what happens
rolleyes.gif
. I unplugged it to look at some values on my window, changed the tube and then nothing now...

I tried a different cable, a second usb plug on my computer and another tube, it's the same. My pc sees the dac as the two green lights are on and Windows XP makes a sound when I unplug the havana. Usually I have a small "poc" in the speakers when I turn it on but now not, however I can hear the dac initialize 2 seconds after I turn it on (i think this is the moment when the "poc" appeared before) : i hear a small clic on the dac. But no music when I start the player... Strange.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,706 of 2,680
I had a similar thing happen but only 1 CH went dead.
Lasted about 2 hours after putting them in.
I actually wonder if it is heat as it gets quite toasty inside the Havana.
Tried first swapping them over and the dead ch swapped over too. Put the originals back in and now have 2 CH.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,708 of 2,680
I have one last question before ordering all the components :

I'm confused about the 3 russian silver mica capacitors, is this the place where you put them ? It looks strange for me as silver micas are much more tall than 1 & 2...

I'll try silver mica that are at hificollective, If i'm not wrong I have to buy 10000 pf ones no (same value than 0.01uf) ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,709 of 2,680
I would like to know which ones to change as well as mine arrive soon.

Also noticed the orange original one in my Havana has 1000 +- 10% which seems to me to be 0.001uf. I ordered these below. Could anyone tell me if I got the correct values?
Replace the orange one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190539885380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
and to replace the yellow ones in the pic in the previous post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200659264475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Thanks

I also will have spares if anyone in Australia wants a set.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,710 of 2,680
ok everything's clear thanks to you 2. It seems it's also possible to put a 0.01uf cap (or 10000pf) on C12 according to Robeeert in a past comment. Well, I'm going to order all this stuff !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back