MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,116 of 2,680
Vcap cutf installed for 15 mns (output), first impressions. Compared to Mundorf Silver/gold/oil I don't hear many differences in fact (what is quite surprising because s/g/o are burnt in for a long time). The global tonality is similar. The only real change is that bass are more controlled, it's a big weak of havana and I hear a nice improvement.

The rest is only impressions and can be placebo effect : may be trebles are slightly clearer and the sound very slightly fuller but I wouldn't stake my life on it. On last track of Summer - 4 seasons of Vivaldi (Carmignola version) in particular, which is a full ensemble and very fast track I have the impression the whole ensemble is better kept. More precise, not in the sense instruments are at their right place, but that the dac deals better with informations he receives (if you understand what I mean). This track can be a mess when not well controlled and i have the impression it's slightly better.

In fact for the moment I can't really highlight something special, except bass, but i have the slight impression the whole ensemble is a bit more homogeneous, better kept, precise. All this give a slight more natural sound. I must let it burn in now.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,117 of 2,680
Quote:
Vcap cutf installed for 15 mns (output), first impressions. Compared to Mundorf Silver/gold/oil I don't hear many differences in fact (what is quite surprising because s/g/o are burnt in for a long time). The global tonality is similar. The only real change is that bass are more controlled, it's a big weak of havana and I hear a nice improvement.

The rest is only impressions and can be placebo effect : may be trebles are slightly clearer and the sound very slightly fuller but I wouldn't stake my life on it. On last track of Summer - 4 seasons of Vivaldi (Carmignola version) in particular, which is a full ensemble and very fast track I have the impression the whole ensemble is better kept. More precise, not in the sense instruments are at their right place, but that the dac deals better with informations he receives (if you understand what I mean). This track can be a mess when not well controlled and i have the impression it's slightly better.

In fact for the moment I can't really highlight something special, except bass, but i have the slight impression the whole ensemble is a bit more homogeneous, better kept, precise. All this give a slight more natural sound. I must let it burn in now.

CuTF will sound different after 250 - 300 hours and they will reach their full sound potential after 400-600 hours! The changes that occur after about 400 hours of burn are incredible. You will see..
Medium frequencies expressed on human voices are really beautiful and absolutely reliable in terms of realism & coherence (for me this means the feeling of disappearance headphones on my head!). Bass is already controlled and the higher frequencies extended and very refined. From this moment I feel like I want to listen to music without stopping.
smile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,118 of 2,680
Vcap cutf are burnt in for 30 hours or so but they're already fantastic I understand why you love them. It's another dac
blink.gif
. Expensive but they worth their price, with them I listen to music and not a system anymore (well I tend to). Mundorf s/g/o sound very digital compared to them. Very nice silky textures, refinment, naturalness, openess, smooth rendering, definition. What a pleasure to hear tight bass at least. And this very enjoyable black background too.

I still hear some limits and a slight veil on sound but it can also come from my amp now. My note : 15/10...

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,119 of 2,680
I think CuTF sound pretty damn good out of the box, but now that mine are pretty much fully burned in I gotta say it gets way better!  The end result is very refined and truly exquisite.  You will see... 
smile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,122 of 2,680
Simply magical... I must say I also changed stock 0.1uf caps (nichikon i think) by Auricap Xo in the same time but their impact on sound must be very minor compared to cutf. For those who would be interested they're easy to install but just a bit large so I put them slightly upper than stock caps. Not ideal but as original auricap are discontinued now... No need to enlarge holes or solder thinner wires.

I put back C5 cap as cutf bring a lot of openess and ordered Rcore this evening, it will be next step. It's useless to say that the Euphya Junction Dac I tested this summer, and which is objectively very good musically, is far far behind Havana regarding all aspects.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,123 of 2,680
I have a question for you guys.  I want to try the Duelund CAST Cu caps 0.47uF for output coupling to compare to CuTF, but these have radial leads so I would have to lay them sideways as if they have axial leads and bend one of the leads back along the body of the cap, so one lead would be considerably longer than the other.  Is there anything wrong with doing this?  I would insulate them to avoid a short, of course.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,124 of 2,680
Quote:
I have a question for you guys.  I want to try the Duelund CAST Cu caps 0.47uF for output coupling to compare to CuTF, but these have radial leads so I would have to lay them sideways as if they have axial leads and bend one of the leads back along the body of the cap, so one lead would be considerably longer than the other.  Is there anything wrong with doing this?  I would insulate them to avoid a short, of course.

Have you checked the dimensions?, Havana is compact, will they fit? Aswering to your question - leads should be as short as possible, but they are very good quality I suppose, this will not influence the sound when one is longer. Let us know the results, please.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,125 of 2,680
Quote:

Sounds awesome!  Let us know how it sounds!  From me looking online, the only cap that some people say is better than vcap CuTF is Duelund cast cu, so I'm very interested to see if that's true in this case.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,126 of 2,680
Quote:

Have you checked the dimensions?, Havana is compact, will they fit? Aswering to your question - leads should be as short as possible, but they are very good quality I suppose, this will not influence the sound when one is longer. Let us know the results, please.

Should fit.  They are a little longer, but a little skinnier as well.  May have to push aside a cap or two.

CuTF: 1.4" dia x 2.25" len
CAST: 1.33" dia x 2.48" len

I can only do this if I can sell my extra CuTF at a minimal loss.  Maybe I jumped the gun a little on that purchase 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2,127 of 2,680
Well my previous order of Rcore has been canceled because not in stock, can you confirm this one is the good one (there are many references i don't want to order the wrong one :

30W R-Core Transformer for amp 9V*2 15V*2 230V/115v (220V/110V) DUAL 9V,DUAL 15V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-R-Core-Transformer-amp-9V-2-15V-2-230V-115v-220V-110V-DUAL-9V-DUAL-15V-/221025279682?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3272064305374728756%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D320680108067%26

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #2,129 of 2,680
Quote:
Well my previous order of Rcore has been canceled because not in stock, can you confirm this one is the good one (there are many references i don't want to order the wrong one :

30W R-Core Transformer for amp 9V*2 15V*2 230V/115v (220V/110V) DUAL 9V,DUAL 15V

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-R-Core-Transformer-amp-9V-2-15V-2-230V-115v-220V-110V-DUAL-9V-DUAL-15V-/221025279682?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3272064305374728756%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D320680108067%26

That looks right to me.  Do you need 230V or 115V?  I have an extra one that is 230V only.  I bought it by mistake because the picture had a 230V+115V.  PM me if this is the one you need and I'll give you a deal.

A note on installation: I noticed in photos or loserica and robert's units that the output wiring was 0V-(hot)-(hot)-0V in left to right order of the wires coming out of the transformer so I tried and tested this configuration first and sure enough that was it for me too.  You might want to try that first.  TEST BEFORE CONNECTING TO YOUR DAC!  Are you pretty clear on the procedure otherwise?

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #2,130 of 2,680
Thanks for your confirmation Robert. Sorry kimchee but I already have ordered it yersterday morning. Try to put an ad on head-fi or an electronics forum i'm sure it would interest someone else who do diy tweaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back