MF X-Can V3 in the house :-)
Dec 7, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
biggrin.gif
It sounds great without the triple bypass and lung transplant... ignore us tweakers we're an obsessive compulsive breed with a fetish for high temperature capacitors and tubes with funny names like "Mullard"......... yes, the V3 does perform admirably fresh from the factory
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes. The only downside is you have the inconvenience of 9 screws, rear panel and front panel, to negotiate..... it would have been better if MF had incorporated a "rolling hatch" on the top of the enclosure to facilitate rapid valve rolls but, as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Stupid question: What tubes does it take, and how many?

PF, you may want to repost the excellent instructions you already gave me in another thread on how to take it apart; I printed them out for when I am ready to "roll".

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
What tubes does it take, and how many?

Hi Doc,

It takes two valves and you can fit any of the following types: (6922 / E88CC being stock in the V2)

E88CC
PCC88
6N1P
6DJ8
6N23P-EB

I haven't tried the 6N1P or 6DJ8 but they should be OK. All the other types listed I have tried and they work perfectly well.

Quote:

Blimey Juergen I only put that page together a few hours ago..... you're fast on the button!

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #65 of 73
From what I understand, the resistors actually run hotter then the tubes themselves in the XCan. The casing is suppose to be an aluminium heatsink but I find better cooling performance with heat sinks installed.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure cutting holes in the casing for ventilation is a good idea. Dust might settle in and constant recleaning is needed
frown.gif

I understand other amps with bigger tubes run very hot (like the Cary Headphone amp which I was forced to sit next causing me to sweat
eek.gif
) so it makes sense to expose them and they look nice!

Oct 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #66 of 73
Is there a shopping list with part numbers out there?

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Is there a shopping list with part numbers out there?

You want the following:

6 x 35V 2200uF Panasonic FC
4 x 35V 1000uF Panasonic FC
4 x 63V 100uF Panasonic FC
4 x 16V 470uF Non polar capacitors (Capxon NK 105C series are good)
2 x 0.47 (470nF) 250V Evox / Rifa PHE426 series polypropylene capacitors
2 x 50V 10uF Non polar capacitors (Capxon are good again)

That should notch your V3 up a gear or two. Obviously you can tweak the cap values, none of them are set in stone apart from the 100uF ones (don't change this value), but the above is what I'd recommend and works without any problems.

Have fun.

Mike.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #68 of 73
My next plan is cabling upgrade but this must wait as I've bought a car - some maintenance must be done and my wife can't stand the smell of soldering iron
mad.gif

BTW Pink Floyd do you think more capacitance will give any benefit concerning SQ. I mean more than in your upgrade kit.

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
You want the following:

6 x 35V 2200uF Panasonic FC
4 x 35V 1000uF Panasonic FC
4 x 63V 100uF Panasonic FC
4 x 16V 470uF Non polar capacitors (Capxon NK 105C series are good)
2 x 0.47 (470nF) 250V Evox / Rifa PHE426 series polypropylene capacitors
2 x 50V 10uF Non polar capacitors (Capxon are good again)

That should notch your V3 up a gear or two. Obviously you can tweak the cap values, none of them are set in stone apart from the 100uF ones (don't change this value), but the above is what I'd recommend and works without any problems.

Have fun.

Mike.

Is their placement obvious. I mean, do I risk messing anything up?

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You could order the kit directly from PinkFloyd and it comes with instruction sheets!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was able to find all but 3 pieces on Digikey. Not worth it IMO, I'd have to wait to order and the brands would have been off. So, I placed order with Mr. Pink today! Now thw wait...

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Yeah, I was able to find all but 3 pieces on Digikey. Not worth it IMO, I'd have to wait to order and the brands would have been off. So, I placed order with Mr. Pink today! Now thw wait...

Funny, I thought I offered you better caps for less money?

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #73 of 73
Oh Well. My Loss

blink.gif

!!B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back