MF X-Can V3 in the house :-)
Nov 11, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #46 of 73
Hi PinkFloyd,

It's sounding very good with the new caps. You are correct in that the bass has tightened. Midrange seem to be smoother and a little more detailed. I'm not sure if it's related but my RS-1 seem to be less harsh in the top-end also, or I could just be imagining things.

Unfortunately though, I haven't had as much time to listen to the amp as I would have liked since I just purchased some new Dynaudio speakers and they've been grabbing most of my attention recently
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Hi Plibber,

Why not fit the extra four 2200uF in place of the 4 x 1000uF and give that a go?

I'll sure try that over the weekend.

Quote:

whatever, this is one key area of the amp which can be improved upon and a simple cheap 10uF non polar cap bypassed with a polyprop sounds a lot better than the stock 10uF polar cap.... for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have a go at this also. What value caps are you using for bypassing, both on the input and output stage?

Thanks again for your help! Your reporting of your mods is much appreciated
eggosmile.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Sure,

Make me an offer.

Mike.

So you don't want to keep it anymore?

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
So you don't want to keep it anymore?

Yeh, of course I want to keep it but if someone wants to buy it then I can always buy another one and it's easy enough to swap out the caps etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

Yeh, of course I want to keep it but if someone wants to buy it then I can always buy another one and it's easy enough to swap out the caps etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you first make your upgradingprocess complete! The reason for such a statement is that you say in the v2-thread that the v2 turbo (with PanFM caps and some other things in input/output caps) outperforms the moddified v3! Some days ago it was the other way around (no critic but only an observation).

It would be an interesting case to look into the objective reasons why there are in your view such important sonical differences. It is the more strange because the tube circuit of both amps are not so different at all, only the supplies are structural different or am I wrong.

Or are there other significant differences in the standard/moddified signalpath as far as used components for both types of headamps are concerned?

Or is it the case that only the type and amount of supply caps in the v2 and v3 are different (quality Pan FC vs Pan FM vs amount of capacity)?

What about the influence of the amount (and type/votage/quality) of the input/outputcaps?

Is it really so that when you change all the supply/input/outputcaps that the differences between used tubes diminishes? If so than the search for NOS and the (pricey) like-ones is of less importance in the configuration of this musical fidelity amps.

I hope you find the motivation and funds to search into those questions.

I want also to express my full admiration to your undertake for such a thorough investigation on this MF amps, it is a great pleasure to follow your trials to make things, that already are relatively good (only rather pricey), even (much) better. Go on with that, it make their price/quality range better without too much additional costs.

Pieter.

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch&Music
I hope you first make your upgradingprocess complete! The reason for such a statement is that you say in the v2-thread that the v2 turbo (with PanFM caps and some other things in input/output caps) outperforms the moddified v3! Some days ago it was the other way around (no critic but only an observation).

My apologies, I really should make myself more clear when I say things. With regard to the modded V2 Versus the V3 I meant that the modded V2 (as far as I can remember) sounds slightly better than the "unmodified" V3 does. That wasn't a fair comment by me as I really didn't give the V3 much time at all to burn in and I pretty much jumped straight in with the Panasonic FC caps and stuff..... so please take my comment that the V2 sounds better than the V3 etc. with a pinch of salt. They're both great sounding amps and it's very hard to compare them at the moment, what with all the ongoing tweaks, so I shouldn't really be comparing "anything" until I have the lid firmly bolted on
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch&Music
It would be an interesting case to look into the objective reasons why there are in your view such important sonical differences. It is the more strange because the tube circuit of both amps are not so different at all, only the supplies are structural different or am I wrong.

The panasonic FC / FM series of caps have pretty low ESR, the stock Jamicon general purpose caps don't. The increased capacitance in the PSU section improves the sound quality for sure. As I say, I won't make any further comments on the differences between the V2 and V3 "yet" as they haven't had a moment to settle in yet.... as soon as I'm finished faffing about with my soldering iron I'll have a bloomin good listen to them all.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #52 of 73
Another little tweak......

If you are absolutely certain that your source has no DC at its output you can dispense with the 10uF input capacitors altogether. MF fit these input caps as a belt and braces safeguard against any DC entering the amp but the vast majority of modern CD players will not have any DC at the output as there will either be output caps or a DC servo fitted to block any DC entering the amp......... it's always worth checking and never "assume" the outputs of your CD player are free from DC.

If there is no DC at the outputs of your source then you can remove the 10uF input capacitor and fit either an axial ferrite bead inductor or a zero ohm link. If RFI is very high in your area then the ferrite inductor is the best choice in this position.

v3outcaps.jpg

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
There can't be a lot left on that board that is still stock X-Can is there Mike?
biggrin.gif

Quite a bit left Paul
tongue.gif
the transistors, resistors, diodes etc. are all stock I've really only replaced the capacitors with low ESR 105c variants and removed the 2 x 10uF input caps..... nothing too radical.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #55 of 73
I've ordered the Panasonic FC series
biggrin.gif
. Couldn't find the FM.
confused.gif

I ordered 4 x 3300uf 35V
4 x 1000uF 35V

I've already 2 x BG 2200uF 35V fitted in the first 2 power caps. I couldn't replace them because they were so frigging expensive
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I think the FC retails for 1/5 the price of the BG. If I'm not happy with the Panasonic, I'll replace them all with BG's eventually or get a more cost effective amp. Hopefully, the Panasonics will sound better then the Black Gates in the XCan which I don't think are wortth it at least in this amp.

I didn't dare use 3300uF for the 1000uF. I've no idea how Pink Floyd manage to fit all thouse fat caps inside there (the 3300uF are same size with the 2200uF but taller according to supplier). I fitted some heat sinks by the side and they are touching one of the 1000uF caps too, so limited space. When they arrive, once fitted I'll see if there's more space and consider upgrading the caps in the near future. Until then, I better play safe
tongue.gif

I never bypass them though (the ones in the signal path). I don't think its worth the trouble.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I've ordered the Panasonic FC series
biggrin.gif
. Couldn't find the FM.
confused.gif

I ordered 4 x 3300uf 35V
4 x 1000uF 35V

I've already 2 x BG 2200uF 35V fitted in the first 2 power caps. I couldn't replace them because they were so frigging expensive
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I think the FC retails for 1/5 the price of the BG. If I'm not happy with the Panasonic, I'll replace them all with BG's eventually or get a more cost effective amp. Hopefully, the Panasonics will sound better then the Black Gates in the XCan which I don't think are wortth it at least in this amp.

I didn't dare use 3300uF for the 1000uF. I've no idea how Pink Floyd manage to fit all thouse fat caps inside there (the 3300uF are same size with the 2200uF but taller according to supplier). I fitted some heat sinks by the side and they are touching one of the 1000uF caps too, so limited space. When they arrive, once fitted I'll see if there's more space and consider upgrading the caps in the near future. Until then, I better play safe
tongue.gif

I never bypass them though (the ones in the signal path). I don't think its worth the trouble.

hi mysticaldodo

i assume you're from malaysia/singapore... where did you get your x-can from?

cheers!

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #58 of 73
Can I ask how good does the XCAN sound without the open heart surgery you guys are performing? Is it a good option for someone who MAY venture into the dangerous world of tube rolling but no further?

How would it compare to say the Woo3?

Also where can you get it in on-line?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Can I ask how good does the XCAN sound without the open heart surgery you guys are performing?

biggrin.gif
It sounds great without the triple bypass and lung transplant... ignore us tweakers we're an obsessive compulsive breed with a fetish for high temperature capacitors and tubes with funny names like "Mullard"......... yes, the V3 does perform admirably fresh from the factory
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Is it a good option for someone who MAY venture into the dangerous world of tube rolling but no further?

Yes. The only downside is you have the inconvenience of 9 screws, rear panel and front panel, to negotiate..... it would have been better if MF had incorporated a "rolling hatch" on the top of the enclosure to facilitate rapid valve rolls but, as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back