Mezzo Hifi - New AK120/AK100 Mods (WM8741 in software mode)
Aug 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #76 of 133
EmilyLitella.jpg

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #77 of 133
Was lucky to get the chance to try the Mezzo Soprano mods at Amplified Head (Malaysia) courtesy from Music Century (Singapore) as they were kind enough to bring some demo sets including CIEMs 
etysmile.gif

CIEMs tested:
Lime Ears LE2 & LE3SW
Noble K10 & Noble 4
1964Ears V6 & V6S

Btw, this is not a review - just a very short impression since i only had them for around 2 hours. 
The AK240 is mine, while the MS-AK120 and 100 are the demo units. I only tried the MS-AK120, so i won't be able to comment on that. The MS-AK120 sounds very good, and i dare say the SQ performs on par with the AK240 but with a different sound signature.
Soundstage wise, they are very similar... perhaps AK240 is a touch airier while MS-AK120 has a touch more depth.
Clarity, micro details, transparency are similar to me. However the sound signature as i mentioned is quite different. AK240 is towards the bright neutral side while MS-AK120 is slightly warmer and fuller sounding. Bass impact on MS-AK120 is more prominent and hits harder and more resounding. 

For the CIEMs i tested,
Soundstage wise: Lime Ears LE3SW > 1964Ears > Noble K10
Clarity/Micro details: Noble K10 > 1964Ears >= Noble 4 > Lime Ears

I was quite surprised given Noble 4 price tag, the SQ performs very well. However i found on certain genre/tracks, i didn't like the sound, e.g. on Michael Jackson - Thriller DSD, the Noble 4 sounded shrilly/thin/unnatural.
Given a choice, if i had to walkaway with only 1 CIEM, i'd pick 1964Ears V6/V6S as the best all rounder among all the genres i've tried. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #78 of 133
  Was lucky to get the chance to try the Mezzo Soprano mods at Amplified Head (Malaysia) courtesy from Music Century (Singapore) as they were kind enough to bring some demo sets including CIEMs 
etysmile.gif

CIEMs tested:
Lime Ears LE2 & LE3SW
Noble K10 & Noble 4
1964Ears V6 & V6S

Btw, this is not a review - just a very short impression since i only had them for around 2 hours. 
The AK240 is mine, while the MS-AK120 and 100 are the demo units. I only tried the MS-AK120, so i won't be able to comment on that. The MS-AK120 sounds very good, and i dare say the SQ performs on par with the AK240 but with a different sound signature.
Soundstage wise, they are very similar... perhaps AK240 is a touch airier while MS-AK120 has a touch more depth.
Clarity, micro details, transparency are similar to me. However the sound signature as i mentioned is quite different. AK240 is towards the bright neutral side while MS-AK120 is slightly warmer and fuller sounding. Bass impact on MS-AK120 is more prominent and hits harder and more resounding. 

For the CIEMs i tested,
Soundstage wise: Lime Ears LE3SW > 1964Ears > Noble K10
Clarity/Micro details: Noble K10 > 1964Ears >= Noble 4 > Lime Ears

I was quite surprised given Noble 4 price tag, the SQ performs very well. However i found on certain genre/tracks, i didn't like the sound, e.g. on Michael Jackson - Thriller DSD, the Noble 4 sounded shrilly/thin/unnatural.
Given a choice, if i had to walkaway with only 1 CIEM, i'd pick 1964Ears V6/V6S as the best all rounder among all the genres i've tried. 

Thanks for that Levanter. I've just sent my AK120 to Phanom for modding. Very excited to hear how it sounds :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #79 of 133

Thanks for that Levanter. I've just sent my AK120 to Phanom for modding. Very excited to hear how it sounds :)

I'm sure you'll love the mod CraftyClown. I won't be surprised if many prefers the MS-AK120 over the AK240. :)
If i had one request, i'd ask the switch to be shorten as it protrudes out quite a bit. Maybe you could ask Phanom if he could shorten it for you.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #81 of 133
  Just a question is there a disadvantage of having the WM8741 in software mod instead of the hardware mod? 

I'd also be interested to know this. I'm getting the mod done anyway, as I'm all for the idea of keeping the device portable and not always having to connect it to an amp, which as I understand it you would be forced to do if the WM8741 was run in hardware mode, as Vinnie at Red Wine has done with his mods.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of trade off going down the software mode route, but if nothing else, I am upgrading to a superior dac chip, adding a balanced output and keeping the original functionality of the AK120.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has compared the Mezzo mod to one of Vinnie's?

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #83 of 133
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8741.pdf

comparison between software mode and hardware mode from wm8741 datasheet

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #85 of 133
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8741.pdf

comparison between software mode and hardware mode from wm8741 datasheet

Software seems to be a no brainer! 

Errr wow, yeah.

I was under the impression there was some kind of upside to running in hardware mode, however it appears software mode allows more functionality.

I'm rather surprised there aren't more people aware of this mod, as it seems to be everything AK120 owners were asking for :)

I'm not the best at articulating differences in sound, but I'll be sure to do my best and give this mod a brief review when I receive it next week.

Here's a quick pic Phanom sent me of my finished mod, waiting to ship :D

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #87 of 133
Well software can be bad if they can't implement it correctly.

I am hoping to send mine this week, the plans to purchase the lotoo paw gold just don't seem to work.

Congrats, looking forward to your thoughts.

Errr wow, yeah.

I was under the impression there was some kind of upside to running in hardware mode, however it appears software mode allows more functionality.

I'm rather surprised there aren't more people aware of this mod, as it seems to be everything AK120 owners were asking for :)

I'm not the best at articulating differences in sound, but I'll be sure to do my best and give this mod a brief review when I receive it next week.

Here's a quick pic Phanom sent me of my finished mod, waiting to ship :D

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 133

I'd also be interested to know this. I'm getting the mod done anyway, as I'm all for the idea of keeping the device portable and not always having to connect it to an amp, which as I understand it you would be forced to do if the WM8741 was run in hardware mode, as Vinnie at Red Wine has done with his mods.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of trade off going down the software mode route, but if nothing else, I am upgrading to a superior dac chip, adding a balanced output and keeping the original functionality of the AK120.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has compared the Mezzo mod to one of Vinnie's?

I have both and will be doing comparison soon. First, and finally, a full review of the Mezzo in the next few weeks at headfonia.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #89 of 133
  I have both and will be doing comparison soon. First, and finally, a full review of the Mezzo in the next few weeks at headfonia.

I am very keen to read both your review and comparison. My Mezzo mod is out for delivery today. I feel just like a kid at Xmas :D

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #90 of 133
But here's the short version: if you just care about performance of audio plus a few extras (balanced, stopped volume pot, software mode, etc.), Mezzo is it. If you like the AK100's functionality as is, but want better sound quality, RWAK100 is the way to go. 

If you find AK100 to have too much noise from HPO, there's only one choice: Mezzo. I have a very hard time picking a winner as the two are mutually exclusive mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back