Meze Liric Closed Back
Nov 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #91 of 164
Have you actually worked with Meze before? It's not entirely fair to comment on the warranty process if you've not actually been thru it.

There is no "warranty process", is there?
Do you know of one?

I contacted Meze, and i asked them...>"do you sell replacement pads for the LIRIC".

is that a "fair question", considering the gear is $2000 USD, and pads wear out?
I think its fair.... to ask them about a situation that is going to happen to every set of LIRIC pads, Makiah.

And here is their reply..

"send to your dealer or ship them to Romania".

So, is that FAIR for $2000 USD ?

And so, they didnt say....>"we will pay for shipping, pads, replacement, and return shipping, if the gear is still under warranty".
Why didnt they explain that???

So......$2000 and you get to pay for the shipping, the pads, the repair, and the return shipping, if you need pads after 9 months?

Its a Mystery.....

If this does not seem fair to you, then why dont you contact MEZE, via their "contact" found on their website and ask them about all this process and cost to get a set of pads put on your $2000 headphones, in case they just wear out before the warranty ends.

Obviously, if the gear is not under warranty, then all of this HASSLE is on the buyer, but, should it be, if the gear is under warranty?

Why dont you go and find out and let us know?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #93 of 164
I can certainly start that discussion and get more relevant details

I just contacted MEZE again..
I asked them...

"After purchase, and under warranty........if i need pads, ......am i responsible for shipping to and from, and for the cost of the pads and the repair"....

So, when they reply, i will post it here...

Thx, and stay tuned....

If they say...."we cover all of it"....then that is a good warranty, and i hope its more then 1 yr, as pads will last that long, of course.....

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #94 of 164
I just contacted MEZE again..
I asked them...

"After purchase, and under warranty........if i need pads, ......am i responsible for shipping to and from, and for the cost of the pads and the repair"....

So, when they reply, i will post it here...

Thx, and stay tuned....

If they say...."we cover all of it"....then that is a good warranty, and i hope its more then 1 yr, as pads will last that long, of course.....
Well @Andykong can also provide some insights here as well. While I also start that discussion

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #95 of 164
Well @Andykong can also provide some insights here as well. While I also start that discussion

Sounds perfect to me....

When i contacted my usual Hifi Dealer, and told him today about what we are discussing, he was really not dialed in at all..
He said...>"ok thank you for the info".
Its No doubt that when Meze dealers are sitting there looking at multiple pairs of used Lirics, all needing a pad swap-reglue, then all the shipping they have to deal with, they'll feel exactly like the main point of my continuing discussion about this lovely set of headphones.

Also....I really appreciate that Meze has recently created a new flagship and a new semi-flagship, mobile set.
I bought their 1st Flagship.

I can think of 2 well known high end audiophile headphone makers who take 5 yrs or more to create a "new" flagship, and Meze took about 2 yrs to create, basically a 2nd home Flag, and now a Mobile semi- Flag.

Sennheiser has not created a new Flagship in a decade, or more.

So, Meze, is not just sitting there counting the money.
They are, busy little builders/innovators.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #96 of 164
Good guess. :beerchug:

I have responded to similar question in the official thread, and I'll copy and paste here to everyone convenience:

We meant to provide more information at a later time when we have the tools and video ready, but since your bought this up, I can answer this question briefly.
  1. The earpad are glued to the headphone, you can't remove it and put it back on again. If you removed the earpad, it will be damaged and can't be reused, that's why we put up a warning in our manual to alert our users that they must not attempt to pull, remove, replace or repair this component.
  2. The earpad are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpad, you'll be provided several options for replacement, and one of the options will be an replacement kit for users who want to change the earpad themselves (and we are going to make a video to explain the procedures). We'll treat each case individually, depending on our customers needs and possibilities.
  3. We expect the ear pads to last for 2 years, as stipulated in the warranty, therefore we assume the video and earpad replacement kit is not urgent. We plan to spend some time to look for user-friendly replacement components and try to simplify the procedure before we produce the video.
  4. We have revised our online user manual to minimize unnecessary frustration or misunderstanding.

By the way, please check out our EAF system, this is one of our innovations in Liric, the secret behind the relatively small earcup for closed back planar.

1637001255973.png
Really interesting idea actually. What kind of cushioning is inside the ear pad?

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #97 of 164
There is no "warranty process", is there?
Do you know of one?

I contacted Meze, and i asked them...>"do you sell replacement pads for the LIRIC".

is that a "fair question", considering the gear is $2000 USD, and pads wear out?
I think its fair.... to ask them about a situation that is going to happen to every set of LIRIC pads, Makiah.

And here is their reply..

"send to your dealer or ship them to Romania".

So, is that FAIR for $2000 USD ?

And so, they didnt say....>"we will pay for shipping, pads, replacement, and return shipping, if the gear is still under warranty".
Why didnt they explain that???

So......$2000 and you get to pay for the shipping, the pads, the repair, and the return shipping, if you need pads after 9 months?

Its a Mystery.....

If this does not seem fair to you, then why dont you contact MEZE, via their "contact" found on their website and ask them about all this process and cost to get a set of pads put on your $2000 headphones, in case they just wear out before the warranty ends.

Obviously, if the gear is not under warranty, then all of this HASSLE is on the buyer, but, should it be, if the gear is under warranty?

Why dont you go and find out and let us know?
We get it, man. You're not happy about the pads. Abundantly loud and clear.

The reason for Meze doing this was also made clear in that it affects the sound since the inside of the pads has its own acoustic and airflow properties. This is the first time I've seen this concept, personally. Meze is known for astounding industrial design in all their products and I'm certain a lot of thought went into this decision to not make them user replaceable. I trust that it will be worth it.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #98 of 164
Crispy top end, reduced upper bass with a dip at 2k, accented sub bass - sounds fairly close to the tuning on the Kennerton Rögnir. Do I need another variant on the Rögnir? Probably not. And yet, I also do.
Sounds close to the AKG K371 signature too.
We get it, man. You're not happy about the pads. Abundantly loud and clear.

The reason for Meze doing this was also made clear in that it affects the sound since the inside of the pads has its own acoustic and airflow properties. This is the first time I've seen this concept, personally. Meze is known for astounding industrial design in all their products and I'm certain a lot of thought went into this decision to not make them user replaceable. I trust that it will be worth it.
I noticed that too. I assume if the pad was removable and not put back exactly the same as it was originally, the sound would be compromised. So it makes sense that it is fixed in place.

Which brings up another question. As the pad age due to use, can this have an effect on the airflow through the pad?

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #99 of 164
I think you didn't fully understand the reason I gave for the usage of glue.
For a properly closed back headphones specifically it is necessary to create a sealed off system. Glue is a good and secure way to achieve this.
This is not as much of an issue for an open design. I speculate that this is the reason Meze decided against a magnetic system despite having one that works on their Empyreans. Designing a magnetic system that also fully seals is a challenge that is likely not worth the effort since pads are likely not swapped often in most cases.
This is definitely the problem that Audeze stated that they had, where creating a full seal was important. The other reason is, these are designed to be portable, so pads that can be readily pulled off are pads that can be very easily lost.

From having talked to Antony Meze, I know that he is a very sensible-thinking person, and there's always a reason for everything in his designs. I don't think that initial communication about the Liric has been sufficient for people here. Press releases tend to be pretty poor.

I think that they should have stated from the start that the pads are glued, and the reasons why, along with the reason for the design and cabling (clearly they designed a less blatantly expensive headphone for portable use, with more compact cables). Also, if they'd said that they will be customer replaceable (albeit, destroying the old pads) then that would have been OK. It's easy for me to look at a design and see immediately what is going on, but not so much for everyone else.

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #100 of 164
Got a Paket from Meze today:heart_eyes: and i wanna share with you:relaxed:

Meze 1.jpg
Meze 2.jpg

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #101 of 164
Readers.....

things are progressing nicely, regarding the "what about the PAD replacement" situation that owners of the LIRIC will have to deal with....

So,
Meze has replied to me again, and they have been thinking about it, which....is good for us, the people who will spend $2000 on this new gear.
As a matter of fact they have decided to create a "how to" video........and you'll read about this down below.
They are now going to offer the "replacement kit" to the owner, vs, just having you ship the gear to your dealer.

= Problem solved.

Now, the one the one thing to realize as you read Meze's 2nd reply, is......this FREE offer if valid only during the warranty period.
Keep that in mind..
--
-

Meze Audio - Customer Support​

1:43 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

Hi FullBright1

Thank you for your email .

I will answer your questions as follows:

"What happens if i need the pads replaced, and the headphones are still under warranty?" "Do i have to pay for the shipping to and from the Dealer, ? Do i have to pay for the Pads and the repair?"

The earpads are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpads, you'll need to acquire a replacement kit and follow our instructions strictly.

We'll produce a video to explain the procedure subsequently. In addition, we shall provide the replacement kit for free during the warranty period.

If you are not comfortable doing the replacement by yourself you can take the headphones to your local dealer ( from where the purchase was made, if you need to ship them to a different location please check with them for further information regarding the shipping cost ) or to our headquarters ( in this case all shipping costs replacement and any additional cost will be covered by us during the warranty period ).

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Regards,
Vlad

Toca Vlad
Customer Support
support@mezeaudio.com
www.mezeaudio.com

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #103 of 164
Readers.....

things are progressing nicely, regarding the "what about the PAD replacement" situation that owners of the LIRIC will have to deal with....

So,
Meze has replied to me again, and they have been thinking about it, which....is good for us, the people who will spend $2000 on this new gear.
As a matter of fact they have decided to create a "how to" video........and you'll read about this down below.
They are now going to offer the "replacement kit" to the owner, vs, just having you ship the gear to your dealer.

= Problem solved.

Now, the one the one thing to realize as you read Meze's 2nd reply, is......this FREE offer if valid only during the warranty period.
Keep that in mind..
--
-

Meze Audio - Customer Support​

1:43 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

Hi FullBright1

Thank you for your email .

I will answer your questions as follows:

"What happens if i need the pads replaced, and the headphones are still under warranty?" "Do i have to pay for the shipping to and from the Dealer, ? Do i have to pay for the Pads and the repair?"

The earpads are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpads, you'll need to acquire a replacement kit and follow our instructions strictly.

We'll produce a video to explain the procedure subsequently. In addition, we shall provide the replacement kit for free during the warranty period.

If you are not comfortable doing the replacement by yourself you can take the headphones to your local dealer ( from where the purchase was made, if you need to ship them to a different location please check with them for further information regarding the shipping cost ) or to our headquarters ( in this case all shipping costs replacement and any additional cost will be covered by us during the warranty period ).

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Regards,
Vlad

Toca Vlad
Customer Support
support@mezeaudio.com
www.mezeaudio.com

Thx, but why do you write them with the Ear Pad change thing, when they post it under #75 here in this Thread? Don't understand you, read the Thread and you know a lot!

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #105 of 164
Finally, me Liric's have turned up! Something must have gone wrong with the shipping address, though... I'll PM you my address so you can forward them on to their rightful owner :stuck_out_tongue:
sorry can't read waveSounds address, think everything is okay with the Liric :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back