Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #12,917 of 13,028
I spent a bunch more time with them. If there is such a thing as a soul, these have one.

Looking to try the II's one day, hoping Meze continues with the direction of prioritizing the musicality.
Wow, these inspired a profile pic change. That's how you know you've got something special :)

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #12,918 of 13,028
I received the angled alcantara pads today after much internal debate over their $200 price tag (for pads!). I've been using the stock leather pads almost exclusively and have come to love their bass forward, lush, and full presentation. Well, I swapped on the AA pads and am playing through some of my library... I'm quite taken aback at just how much of a difference there is. My immediate reaction was, "where the heck did the bass go?!?" But, as I listen more, the midbass punch I know and love is still present but it's much less engulfing and I no longer hear any crowding into the lower mids. The AA pads really clean things up down low.

Going to need a bunch more time to see if these will ultimately become my go-to pad or if I'll stick with the leathers, swapping on the AA's when I want to tighten things up some. I think objectively, the AA pads push the Empy to be a more tonally "correct", balanced, and technically adept headphone. Is that what I want? Hard to say just yet.

Ramblings aside, these do yield an immediately noticeable difference over the OG leather pads and for $200 you've essentially got two different headphones in one. It's that drastic of a change to my ears. Onto more listening...

1705807289545.png

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #12,920 of 13,028
Being 2024 and with the Empy II out, I see new old stock Empyreans from $1899 for the black and $2299 for the copper/black. As I prefer a warmer sound vs super neutral, would you say in the "Just under and just over" 2k range the Empyrean is still a good buy these days?

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #12,921 of 13,028
Being 2024 and with the Empy II out, I see new old stock Empyreans from $1899 for the black and $2299 for the copper/black. As I prefer a warmer sound vs super neutral, would you say in the "Just under and just over" 2k range the Empyrean is still a good buy these days?
Price performance wise it's the better deal imo.

The Empyrean and Empyrean II are two different flavours, I wouldn't say one is objectively superior.
Getting the original at such low prices is an amazing bargain imo.

Nonetheless, ideally audition both and decide for yourself. The Empyrean II is V shaped and not neutral either, it's less warm than the original though

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #12,922 of 13,028
Recently joined the Empy club with a used deal locally. Can't take them off from my head, it's affecting my work, send help :beyersmile:.

I have recently become a fan of oratory1990's EQs, but with the Empys I actually think the EQ makes it worse. I guess that mid-bass hump works for my type of music (99% rock and metal). I do push the 150 Hz bass shelf to +7dB occasionally for EDM (see below). Other that these are really dream headphones, both comfort and sound-wise. My comparison at this range would be with HE6 and HD800s, with both I felt something was lacking. Not with the Empys.

I also tried the Empy II at the local store and found them to be a bit too neutral for my taste. I have just embraced the fact that I am somewhat of a basshead and not a true audiophile :beyersmile:

Preamp: -6.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LOW_SHELF Fc 97 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 0.71
Filter 2: ON LOW_SHELF Fc 105 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 0.5

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #12,923 of 13,028
I also tried the Empy II at the local store and found them to be a bit too neutral for my taste. I have just embraced the fact that I am somewhat of a basshead and not a true audiophile
Who says bassheads aren't true audiophiles? Let me at em , lol but seriously with those genres of music that bass slam is necessary.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #12,924 of 13,028
The OG Empyreans (Black/Copper) were the first truly "musical" headphones I owned. I remember them putting a genuine smile on my face when I listened to them, and to this day I don't regret that purchase. They are warmer sounding, especially for a planar, but they are incredible "rock" headphones. They also cure the issue I have with most high-end headphones being too clinical for classical. They return the thickness to low orchestra that somehow gets lost in precision.

Also, they're a blast to listen to movies with!

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #12,925 of 13,028
I still prefer the warmth and mids of the empyrean of to the more neutral and more emphasis of the highs of the empy ii. I still l9ve the empyrean and they are probably my favorite headphones.
And what is the difference between Empy 1 and Audeze LCD2C as I see you have both. I have 2C which are my favourite HP and wonder if Empy would be the upgrade? Thanks.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #12,926 of 13,028
And what is the difference between Empy 1 and Audeze LCD2C as I see you have both. I have 2C which are my favourite HP and wonder if Empy would be the upgrade? Thanks.
IMO that is a good upgrade path. I used to own both the 2C and Empy1.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #12,927 of 13,028
audiophile - love for audio. / audio attraction. Who's to say lower frequencies are less respectable than the higher ones (Lol).
It all comes down to something that triggers you emotionally isn't it?
Bass is fun, bass is life haha (jk), bass is the heartbeat beneath the breath.

Joking aside I'm so happy with my Empy's. Even as a classical pianist I like it a lot, (most people would recommend a high-resolving headphone for classical listeners - I get it: instrument separation and detail to be dead accurate with "serious" music). But the Empy's just have a very sweet presentation on piano recordings - it helps round the tone which I love - (while still maintaining enough detail).
Another advantage is how good it deals with movies. I watch a movie daily glad I can use my best cans for that.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #12,928 of 13,028
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #12,929 of 13,028
Anyone has a recommendation for a closed back counterpart for the empys? I was thinking liric or Z1R. Heard that the Lirics are brighter than the empys. Any other suggestions? Preferably planars

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #12,930 of 13,028
IMO that is a good upgrade path. I used to own both the 2C and Empy1.
I agree, it is a really good upgrade path. I find the empyrean 1 to be a fuller and more detailed sound. A bit warmer as well. It's like the lcd-2c on steroids. Build quality and comfort as well, and I really loved the lcd-2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back