Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #12,886 of 13,028
You don't have to have the multibit to have the synergy, but my lyr3 has the built-in module, so it's convenient and the mutlibit is just a bit nicer than the standard dac option they offer.

With the right tubes, it will sound pretty amazing. I really like the 1950s vintage foton 6n8s. You can still get them pretty cheap from the Ukraine
Sorry, I’d like to ask one more thing. May you discribe the lyr soundsigniture with the 6n8s tube?

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #12,887 of 13,028
You don't have to have the multibit to have the synergy, but my lyr3 has the built-in module, so it's convenient and the mutlibit is just a bit nicer than the standard dac option they offer.

With the right tubes, it will sound pretty amazing. I really like the 1950s vintage foton 6n8s. You can still get them pretty cheap from the Ukraine
My setup:

Attachments

• IMG_6389.jpeg
    IMG_6389.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6390.jpeg
    IMG_6390.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6388.jpeg
    IMG_6388.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #12,888 of 13,028
Sorry, I’d like to ask one more thing. May you discribe the lyr soundsigniture with the 6n8s tube?
With the stock tube it's a pretty neutral sounding amp. Adding the foton it adds more bass and highs. Gives it a more natural sound and warmer feeling than the stock tube. Out of all my vintage tubes, the fotons are my favorite. You can jump over into the lyr 3 tube rolling thread and see how different tubes compare.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-3-tube-rolling-thread.876016/

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #12,889 of 13,028
Anyone had driver failure?. My right driver seems to lost sub bass.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #12,890 of 13,028
Anyone had driver failure?. My right driver seems to lost sub bass.
Ever since release in 2018 I only read about a single driver failure on the Empyrean.

Contact Meze and they will repair them for you.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #12,891 of 13,028
Meze headphones are built crazy well. A friend of mine allowed me to EQ some absurd amount of bass on an ELITE and it worked, without any damage, distortion nor clipping. You should do an RMA just to be sure, I'm sure they'll guide you to try a different amp, switch cables, put the headphone upside down before you have to return it.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #12,892 of 13,028
My local store has the first gen available for $3K CAD and will throw in the PCUHD sliver cable for 50% off, so around $3,250 CAD pre tax. The second gen sells for $4K CAD.

I’m a little conflicted with which route to go. I’m looking for an upgrade from the Meze 109’s I’ve had for a month as I’m craving a headphone with a tad more mid range and detail.

Given the situation, which of the two would you go for?

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #12,893 of 13,028
My local store has the first gen available for $3K CAD and will throw in the PCUHD sliver cable for 50% off, so around $3,250 CAD pre tax. The second gen sells for $4K CAD.

I’m a little conflicted with which route to go. I’m looking for an upgrade from the Meze 109’s I’ve had for a month as I’m craving a headphone with a tad more mid range and detail.

If you are okay with used the Empy 1 can get gotten for closer to $1500 USD these days. So if you were to go Empy 1 route that would be the way to go. But if you want new then it would be much closer in price between the two. Which makes it a harder decision.

Empy 1 has a more bass heavy warm and thick sound signature that is really fun for EDM, Hip-Hop/Rap, Rock (with some exceptions due to it can sound quite muddy/congested). It doesn't have the most accurate timbre but it sounds very musical overall.

Empy 2 is still warm but less so. It did become more neutral compared to the Empy 1 but it still is rather fun. Empy 2 kind of goes for an in between of being neutral and the fun thick warm presentation the 1 did. I think it does it very well. Empy 2 works for most music I have thrown at it. Empy 2 isn't really much more detailed than the Empy 1. If anything you hear more due to its increased treble.

Ultimately it will go down to preference. Empy 2 is more balanced. Empy 1 has a special kind of fun that many will prefer.

Are you able to try both of them out before making the decision? See if they will let you demo them.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #12,894 of 13,028

There’s a used OG Empy with the upgraded Meze copper cable for $1350 on USAudioMart right now that will ship to Canada. I’d go that route if I were you. For the money you’re willing to spend, I’d also be considering a used Elite.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #12,895 of 13,028
If you are okay with used the Empy 1 can get gotten for closer to $1500 USD these days. So if you were to go Empy 1 route that would be the way to go. But if you want new then it would be much closer in price between the two. Which makes it a harder decision.

Empy 1 has a more bass heavy warm and thick sound signature that is really fun for EDM, Hip-Hop/Rap, Rock (with some exceptions due to it can sound quite muddy/congested). It doesn't have the most accurate timbre but it sounds very musical overall.

Empy 2 is still warm but less so. It did become more neutral compared to the Empy 1 but it still is rather fun. Empy 2 kind of goes for an in between of being neutral and the fun thick warm presentation the 1 did. I think it does it very well. Empy 2 works for most music I have thrown at it. Empy 2 isn't really much more detailed than the Empy 1. If anything you hear more due to its increased treble.

Ultimately it will go down to preference. Empy 2 is more balanced. Empy 1 has a special kind of fun that many will prefer.

Are you able to try both of them out before making the decision? See if they will let you demo them.
There’s a used OG Empy with the upgraded Meze copper cable for $1350 on USAudioMart right now that will ship to Canada. I’d go that route if I were you. For the money you’re willing to spend, I’d also be considering a used Elite.

Thanks for the replies, I think I shouldn’t get ahead of myself and order either headphones on a whim without a listen. I’m currently travelling but will give the empy 1/2 and the elites a listening session before ordering.

Until then my Meze 109’s will do.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #12,896 of 13,028
Hey guys I just bought a pair of Empyrean's OG, (was considering the 109's and Focal Clears for quite a while). Would you still place them above those 2?

I see a big shift from the reviews from 2020 to the ones coming last year. Can somebody explain more or less what happened or is this just because the novelty wore off? Seems like everyone trying to sell Empy II's as the best next thing, and the OG's went from endgame material to an overpriced bassy headphone with a nice build.
I've been wanting them for years so I trusted my gut and bought them (still haven't received).

Also any pad recommendations/links that I should look at?
TY!

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #12,897 of 13,028
Hey guys I just bought a pair of Empyrean's OG, (was considering the 109's and Focal Clears for quite a while). Would you still place them above those 2?

I see a big shift from the reviews from 2020 to the ones coming last year. Can somebody explain more or less what happened or is this just because the novelty wore off? Seems like everyone trying to sell Empy II's as the best next thing, and the OG's went from endgame material to an overpriced bassy headphone with a nice build.
I've been wanting them for years so I trusted my gut and bought them (still haven't received).

TY!
I still prefer the warmth and mids of the empyrean of to the more neutral and more emphasis of the highs of the empy ii. I still l9ve the empyrean and they are probably my favorite headphones.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #12,898 of 13,028

TY!
Congratulation on your purchase and welcome to the club!
It is always nice when a dream comes true!

Do not bother about who thinks what. Put it on and enjoy. What will you drive it with?

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #12,899 of 13,028
I have a JDS Labs Element that I used with my other headphones. I'm a minimalist (maybe lol) and like my desk clean - part of the reason I got it back then. Wondering if it will be good enough for the Meze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back