Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 15, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #12,526 of 13,028
The annoying thing is not being able to try them. As per an Alcantara lover who got the angled ones and said they were a disappointment.
Where are you in the UK? I have two pairs of the Hybrids - but I only use one.

May 15, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #12,530 of 13,028
Carlisle/Cumbria.
If you want PM me and I'll send my spare set to try. If you like them buy them from me or if you don't then you can just send them back :L3000:

May 17, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #12,532 of 13,028
I just took delivery of the Phoenix Empyrean's. They are gorgeous to look. Pictures don't these any justice. The sound is better than I remember the first time around with the Empyrean's. They came with the alcantara pads installed. So I'm listening to them before I switch to the leather pads for a tryout. Comfort is off the charts and the sound is incredible. More details to come after I reacquaint myself with their sound.

IMG_0455(1).jpg

May 17, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #12,533 of 13,028
I just took delivery of the Phoenix Empyrean's. They are gorgeous to look. Pictures don't these any justice. The sound is better than I remember the first time around with the Empyrean's. They came with the alcantara pads installed. So I'm listening to them before I switch to the leather pads for a tryout. Comfort is off the charts and the sound is incredible. More details to come after I reacquaint myself with their sound.

IMG_0455(1).jpg
Look, awseome! Slightly jealous.

May 17, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #12,535 of 13,028
Look, awseome! Slightly jealous.
They sound just as good as they look. I’ve been putting them through the paces with some bass heavy tracks, jazz, pop, and metal. All I can say is that these are winners and great all around headphones. They fit in very nicely with the rest of my headphones in my collection. The closest headphones that I have that are as musical and detailed as these are the Ether 2’s. The Ether 2’s have a sound of their own. I must say that I’m loving what I’m hearing from the Phoenix Empyrean’s.

May 20, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #12,536 of 13,028
I'm up early listening to Empyrean's out of my Silver Fox/Dave setup. To put some context behind my opinion, I did own the Elite's for six months before deciding trade them. With that said, I have to admit that I like the fuller sound of the Empyrean's more than the Elite's. The more I listen to the Empyrean's, the more I feel that the Empyrean's are not as far behind the Elite's in their detail and technical presentation as I once thought. The Elite's ARE better technically, but they don't have the same musicality, fullness, or enveloping bass as the Empyrean's. The Empyrean's draw me into the music a little bit more.

Listening to them out of the Dave/Silver Fox is bringing out some hidden technicalities on the Empyrean's that I am really enjoying. The Elites are a different take on the Meze sound, but the Empyrean's are just as enjoyable, if not more to me. So it comes down to a matter of which sound you prefer. There's no right or wrong decision to be make here. Just pick the best headphone the fits your listening preferences.

May 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #12,537 of 13,028
I'm up early listening to Empyrean's out of my Silver Fox/Dave setup. To put some context behind my opinion, I did own the Elite's for six months before deciding trade them. With that said, I have to admit that I like the fuller sound of the Empyrean's more than the Elite's. The more I listen to the Empyrean's, the more I feel that the Empyrean's are not as far behind the Elite's in their detail and technical presentation as I once thought. The Elite's ARE better technically, but they don't have the same musicality, fullness, or enveloping bass as the Empyrean's. The Empyrean's draw me into the music a little bit more.

Listening to them out of the Dave/Silver Fox is bringing out some hidden technicalities on the Empyrean's that I am really enjoying. The Elites are a different take on the Meze sound, but the Empyrean's are just as enjoyable, if not more to me. So it comes down to a matter of which sound you prefer. There's no right or wrong decision to be make here. Just pick the best headphone the fits your listening preferences.
I agree the Elites are technically better (in every way really) but the Empyreans have something special that makes you love what you are listening to.

That's why I just can't say goodbye to them. I am really enjoying the out of the Sony NW-WM1AM2 in the garden at the moment. It sounds absolutely lovely.

May 20, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #12,538 of 13,028
I agree the Elites are technically better (in every way really) but the Empyreans have something special that makes you love what you are listening to.

That's why I just can't say goodbye to them. I am really enjoying the out of the Sony NW-WM1AM2 in the garden at the moment. It sounds absolutely lovely.
Liked your post, but wanted to add that

Cowon Plenue II (optical out) ==> Hugo 2

was my favorite source chain for both Empy and Elite.

May 20, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #12,539 of 13,028

I think, the preference between the Elite and Empyrean comes down to many things. First of all it is personal taste. :)

I love both, but to me the Elite is a clear upgrade to the Empyrean. To me the Elite is not loosing anything of the fun the Empyrean offers, but refines it and elevates it to next level.
To do a quick recap, let's see what the major differences are between the Elite and Empyrean. Same comfort, same build quality. The Elite's diaphragm is thinner, which usually translates to a cleaner, clearer faster sound. The tuning is also a bit different. The enormous mid-bass hump is significantly reduced. The Elite sounds a lot more refined, balanced and more spacious as a result of tamed mid-bass and thinner diaphragm. Resolution, detail retrieval have increased.

I can see the argument of Empyrean lovers versus the Elite. The Empyrean offers a thick, warm sound that is very engaging and enveloping. People who love this presentation might not necessarily welcome the enhanced detail retrieval, spaciousness and more balanced tonality of the Elite. Yet, it is important to note that the Elite is still regarded as warm, thick, bassy and not quite Susvara resolving levels amongst other flagships. But the Elite is certainly a step towards a more generally accepted TOTL tuning, while still retaining that Meze magic of being connected to music.

I think, your audio chain can influence your impression of Empyrean/Elite too. While they are both efficient headphones, they both shine with higher quality source. I think, the Elite scales even higher. The Empyrean certainly benefits from a tight and clean SS amp, so does the Elite. Yet, in the Elite there are even more nuances to bring out with better amps, even with tube amps. Perhaps due to to the more capable, thinner diaphragm.

To cut it short these are both fantastic, enjoyable headphones. The Elite is next level in technicalities from speed, detail retrieval, spaciousness to refinement. The Empyrean sounds thicker in comparison with a lot more emphasised mid-bass. That said, the Empyrean can sound really impressive and fun out of good source.
The Elite is a clear enhancement and refinement of the original Meze recipe.

I can see why some people might prefer the Empyrean to the Elite, but I think those people probably have a headphone collection and want a stronger flavour of Meze. Or they simply prefer a thicker, more coloured and hazier/sweeter taste.

I do not feel like I am loosing the special sound of the Empyrean in the Elite. Perhaps it also depends on your amp and DAC. To me with R2R DAC and tube amp I do not feel I am loosing anything from the Empyrean's magic with my Elite. To me it is just next level, a more refined, more detailed, more spacious, higher resolution Empyrean fun, it is just called 'Elite'. YMMV.

May 20, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #12,540 of 13,028
Liked your post, but wanted to add that

Cowon Plenue II (optical out) ==> Hugo 2

was my favorite source chain for both Empy and Elite.
Not tried the Plenue but also had an iBasso DX320 and really enjoyed that too.

Shame the screen only lasted for two days.

Both of those DAPs are very warm in tonality but with good clarity and great bass as well.

Even though the Empyrean is very warm too - the pairings were excellent imo. The Sony is amazing.

I think, the preference between the Elite and Empyrean comes down to many things. First of all it is personal taste. :)

I love both, but to me the Elite is a clear upgrade to the Empyrean. To me the Elite is not loosing anything of the fun the Empyrean offers, but refines it and elevates it to next level.
To do a quick recap, let's see what the major differences are between the Elite and Empyrean. Same comfort, same build quality. The Elite's diaphragm is thinner, which usually translates to a cleaner, clearer faster sound. The tuning is also a bit different. The enormous mid-bass hump is significantly reduced. The Elite sounds a lot more refined, balanced and more spacious as a result of tamed mid-bass and thinner diaphragm. Resolution, detail retrieval have increased.

I can see the argument of Empyrean lovers versus the Elite. The Empyrean offers a thick, warm sound that is very engaging and enveloping. People who love this presentation might not necessarily welcome the enhanced detail retrieval, spaciousness and more balanced tonality of the Elite. Yet, it is important to note that the Elite is still regarded as warm, thick, bassy and not quite Susvara resolving levels amongst other flagships. But the Elite is certainly a step towards a more generally accepted TOTL tuning, while still retaining that Meze magic of being connected to music.

I think, your audio chain can influence your impression of Empyrean/Elite too. While they are both efficient headphones, they both shine with higher quality source. I think, the Elite scales even higher. The Empyrean certainly benefits from a tight and clean SS amp, so does the Elite. Yet, in the Elite there are even more nuances to bring out with better amps, even with tube amps. Perhaps due to to the more capable, thinner diaphragm.

To cut it short these are both fantastic, enjoyable headphones. The Elite is next level in technicalities from speed, detail retrieval, spaciousness to refinement. The Empyrean sounds thicker in comparison with a lot more emphasised mid-bass. That said, the Empyrean can sound really impressive and fun out of good source.
The Elite is a clear enhancement and refinement of the original Meze recipe.

I can see why some people might prefer the Empyrean to the Elite, but I think those people probably have a headphone collection and want a stronger flavour of Meze. Or they simply prefer a thicker, more coloured and hazier/sweeter taste.

I do not feel like I am loosing the special sound of the Empyrean in the Elite. Perhaps it also depends on your amp and DAC. To me with R2R DAC and tube amp I do not feel I am loosing anything from the Empyrean's magic with my Elite. To me it is just next level, a more refined, more detailed, more spacious, higher resolution Empyrean fun, it is just called 'Elite'. YMMV.
I completely agree here too.

I love them both. The Elite allows me to hear more in the music while not punishing me with too much brightness. They are wonderfully balanced headphones. The Elite scales further.

The Empyrean still has great detail but that warm thick sound is just tuned for enjoyment and as two of my non-audiophile friends said when listening to the Empyrean "I could listen to that all day" and another "It makes you feel the music".

The Elite moves a little away from this to give you more technicalities but not too much to make is unpleasant.

It all depends what is important to you as the listener.

If I'd never heard the Elite I could live with the Empyrean as my one and only headphone and so I completely understand how you could have preference for one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back