Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 28, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #12,556 of 12,975
Hello friends,

Finally, after much research and deliberation, I pulled the trigger on a used Empyrean. I should get it in the next couple of weeks.

I also ordered a used Meze Silver cable and gonna get the Alcantara Angled Pads.

I was looking for an open planar, a different taste and signature to my Grados. More bass focused. I believe it will be awesome for the Instrumental Progressive metal / Rock that I listen too and also for EDM, that I plan to invest more in the future.

My gear is humble in terms of budget but for the price I believe the Rupert Neve, together with the Schiit DAC, will have amazing synergy with the Empyrean. The Valhalla 2 is amazing with my Grados but maybe a little too much, in terms of bass bloating, for the Empyrean. We´ll see.

Very excited about this and after everything I read, it is a blind gamble, since I couldn't test it, but going without too many expectations. I don't care much about technicalities but care a lot about musicality. That is why I love Grado, but I recognize that for my tastes and music it can be a little bass light and treble enhanced (doesn't bother me) with great mids.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement about the new purchase, by far the most expensive investment I did.

Cheers.
I think, you are up for a good ride. Those angled pads with the silver-plated cables will really bring the best out of the Empyrean, taming/balancing the mid-bass hump some people complain about.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #12,557 of 12,975
Hello friends,

Finally, after much research and deliberation, I pulled the trigger on a used Empyrean. I should get it in the next couple of weeks.

I also ordered a used Meze Silver cable and gonna get the Alcantara Angled Pads.

I was looking for an open planar, a different taste and signature to my Grados. More bass focused. I believe it will be awesome for the Instrumental Progressive metal / Rock that I listen too and also for EDM, that I plan to invest more in the future.

My gear is humble in terms of budget but for the price I believe the Rupert Neve, together with the Schiit DAC, will have amazing synergy with the Empyrean. The Valhalla 2 is amazing with my Grados but maybe a little too much, in terms of bass bloating, for the Empyrean. We´ll see.

Very excited about this and after everything I read, it is a blind gamble, since I couldn't test it, but going without too many expectations. I don't care much about technicalities but care a lot about musicality. That is why I love Grado, but I recognize that for my tastes and music it can be a little bass light and treble enhanced (doesn't bother me) with great mids.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement about the new purchase, by far the most expensive investment I did.

Cheers.
I hope they will be suitable for EDM and you get slam and focus from low registers in amount you like. But that could not be necessarily this what you expeting for. I listen music same as you, so ill wait for your impressions here. Im afraid they could be also to creamy and polite for metal but... we wait :)

May 28, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #12,558 of 12,975
Hello friends,

Cheers.
Having just added the angled pads to my elite, I think you will love what they will do to your Empyreans. Amazing. Enjoy!

May 28, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #12,559 of 12,975
Having just added the angled pads to my elite, I think you will love what they will do to your Empyreans. Amazing. Enjoy!
I know with the leather pads the sound is faster with a little more bite and speed. Do the angled pads exhibit some of these properties?

May 28, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #12,560 of 12,975
Hello friends,

Cheers.
If your main priority is musicality you will not be disappointed.

I took them to my friends house fed by the Sony WM1-AM2. None of them could stop listening to it!

May 29, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #12,562 of 12,975
I know with the leather pads the sound is faster with a little more bite and speed. Do the angled pads exhibit some of these properties?

I didn’t really notice drop off in bite or speed at all. What I did notice was just clearer detail which on the elite is quite some feat to take it to an even higher level.

I was expecting a drop off in bass but surprisingly I just found the bass very clean but still very present even when listening to EDM

I think anyone with an Empyrean will gain even more benefit adding the Vshape pads.

May 29, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #12,565 of 12,975
I didn’t really notice drop off in bite or speed at all. What I did notice was just clearer detail which on the elite is quite some feat to take it to an even higher level.

I was expecting a drop off in bass but surprisingly I just found the bass very clean but still very present even when listening to EDM

I think anyone with an Empyrean will gain even more benefit adding the Vshape pads.
Nice, I'll have to check them out

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #12,566 of 12,975
Taking a small detour from IEMs, while awaiting EE Raven release, with my "first dive" into Meze.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 3.36.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #12,567 of 12,975
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #12,568 of 12,975
Great start!

Thank you!

Loving the Empy and signature lines up with my IEM tastes with gorgeous design, uber lightweight compared to my LCDs.

Spending the weekend rolling pads, DAPs (RS8, N7, N7 + C9, 3MAX SS, DX312), and cables. Favorite combo so far – OG leather pads, Meze PCHUD SPC and EA CODE23, and RS8 / N7 or N7 + C9 for that extra power.

IMG_0211.jpeg

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #12,570 of 12,975
Can that DAP really power the empy properly ??

Cayin N7? Sure, it's discreet fully balanced Class A outputs 500mW @ 32Ohm. Not like Empy's are hard to drive loud. I'll switch between M and H gain, most of the time sticking to Medium around 40/100 for majority of streaming tracks and 44-48/100 for local DSD 256-512. If I'm in the mood for more power, I'll LO (clean, unamp) to Cayin C9.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back