Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #12,286 of 12,974
I sold my LCD-2C for the LCD-X as to me that was a clear improvement, and sold the LCD-X for the Empy for the same reason. These are all good and enjoyable headphones in their respective category. The 2C definitely has a nice warm and darkish tone, but the upper frequencies are certainly lacking some air and definition. Within the Audeze realm the LCD-X fixes most of the issues with the 2C and adds some resolution. The Empy is better than both of them mostly because it sounds a lot more natural and realistic.
I did not find the lcd-x and improvement over the lcd-2c. I prefer the 2c sound signature over the lcd-x. I prefer the darker sound of the 2c with more bass and mids over the more neutral sound of the lcd-x with the more highs as I am a bit sensitive to highs.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #12,287 of 12,974
How many of you guys that had the lcd-2c that upgraded to the Empyrean kept the lcd-2c? I am contemplating upgrading to the empyrean as I loved them when I went to moon audio in Nov. If I do I am not sure if I should keep the lcd-2c.
I upgraded to the Empyrean.
Sold the LCD-2C. And rebought it two yaars later...

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #12,288 of 12,974
I did not find the lcd-x and improvement over the lcd-2c. I prefer the 2c sound signature over the lcd-x. I prefer the darker sound of the 2c with more bass and mids over the more neutral sound of the lcd-x with the more highs as I am a bit sensitive to highs.
Well, we all have different taste, different ears and priorities, there isn't one valid upgrade path but several individual truths. Just for the record my LCD-X back then was the og driver with 8 fazors. I haven't heard the new version with the lighter/smaller magnets (6 fazors).

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #12,289 of 12,974
Well, we all have different taste, different ears and priorities, there isn't one valid upgrade path but several individual truths. Just for the record my LCD-X back then was the og driver with 8 fazors. I haven't heard the new version with the lighter/smaller magnets (6 fazors).
Its true we all prefer different things. I have had the first release lcd-2c and the newer ones are my current ones. I guess Ill decide in a few months when I save up for the empyrean. I guess the decision will be purchase new or used. I have some other priorities right now that have to be met first as I just bought a vintage trumpet that needs to be restored. It was 2k and needs about 1k in restoration fees. Ill try to set aside about 500.00 a month for the empyrean's during this time.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #12,290 of 12,974
Its true we all prefer different things. I have had the first release lcd-2c and the newer ones are my current ones. I guess Ill decide in a few months when I save up for the empyrean. I guess the decision will be purchase new or used. I have some other priorities right now that have to be met first as I just bought a vintage trumpet that needs to be restored. It was 2k and needs about 1k in restoration fees. Ill try to set aside about 500.00 a month for the empyrean's during this time.
I personally wouldn't pay full retail price for the Empyrean. Quite often you can find really good condition, few month old pairs for not much more than half the retail price in the classifieds.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #12,291 of 12,974
I personally wouldn't pay full retail price for the Empyrean. Quite often you can find really good condition, few month old pairs for not much more than half the retail price in the classifieds.
True, but my ideal pair would be the Chameleon colored version. When I save up 2k to 3k I'll see what's available at the time and go from there.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #12,293 of 12,974
How many of you guys that had the lcd-2c that upgraded to the Empyrean kept the lcd-2c? I am contemplating upgrading to the empyrean as I loved them when I went to moon audio in Nov. If I do I am not sure if I should keep the lcd-2c.
Thought I'd sell my LCD-2C when I got the Empyrean, but 18 months later I still have it. I also got the Jot2 and a balanced cable that they both can share, which were such significant improvements for the 2C that I haven't been able to let it go. By now I don't think I'd get much for it, so I just see it as a 'sunk cost'. It may get passed on to one of my kids in a few years, they've been increasingly 'borrowing' my gear more and more.
I was exactly the same when I demoed them both more than 2 years ago. The LCD-X is nice, but I wanted the warmer, darker LCD-2C, and in the meantime I've come to understand that is exactly where my first preference lies in this hobby.
I upgraded to the Empyrean.
Sold the LCD-2C. And rebought it two yaars later...
Ha ha, I'm going to avoid that! :)
Absolutely, there always seems to be plenty of second-hand Empy's around. I got mine and the aforementioned Sliver Dragon balanced cable for a bit less than 2/3 full retail, you'd get an even better deal now I reckon.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #12,295 of 12,974
I was able to grab a pair of Elite's for $2600 which is currently en route to me. Interested to see how they sound compare to my LCD 2C which admittedly like some of you, I really enjoy.

Wondering if I should grab a Jotunheim to have the option of balanced out as I only have a Magni 3+ currently. Haven't done so as I see a lot of people say Empyrean and Elite typically sound good on anything. Thoughts?

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #12,296 of 12,974
I was able to grab a pair of Elite's for $2600 which is currently en route to me. Interested to see how they sound compare to my LCD 2C which admittedly like some of you, I really enjoy.

Wondering if I should grab a Jotunheim to have the option of balanced out as I only have a Magni 3+ currently. Haven't done so as I see a lot of people say Empyrean and Elite typically sound good on anything. Thoughts?
The Elites are closer the the lcd-x. Think it as the Empyreans as an upgrade to the lcd-2c and the Elites as an upgrade to the lcd-x.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #12,297 of 12,974

The Elite scales even better than the Empyrean. I would definitely upgrade your amplifier game to reach what they can offer. Yes, they sound OK from entry level gear, unlike Susvara for example, but they do scale noticeably with higher-end DACs and amplifiers.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #12,298 of 12,974

I would pick up a used lyr 3 over a Jotunheim. Love the tube option of the lyr 3.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #12,300 of 12,974
The Elites are closer the the lcd-x. Think it as the Empyreans as an upgrade to the lcd-2c and the Elites as an upgrade to the lcd-x.
I’ll keep that in mind. It was a deal too good to pass up and if not extremely satisfied I can sell them and the cost of picking up a like new empyrean is covered and then some. I know that I like the empyrean already so if the Elite doesn’t give me the same feels it’s a goner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back