Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #12,301 of 12,974
I’ll keep that in mind. It was a deal too good to pass up and if not extremely satisfied I can sell them and the cost of picking up a like new empyrean is covered and then some. I know that I like the empyrean already so if the Elite doesn’t give me the same feels it’s a goner.
It'll definitely give you the same feels 😉

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #12,302 of 12,974
I was able to grab a pair of Elite's for $2600 which is currently en route to me. Interested to see how they sound compare to my LCD 2C which admittedly like some of you, I really enjoy.

Wondering if I should grab a Jotunheim to have the option of balanced out as I only have a Magni 3+ currently. Haven't done so as I see a lot of people say Empyrean and Elite typically sound good on anything. Thoughts?
If you've spent $2600 on an end-game type headphone, $400 for a balanced amp to make them really shine is kind of a no-brainer, plus you'll get more out of the 2C at the same time.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #12,303 of 12,974
If you've spent $2600 on an end-game type headphone, $400 for a balanced amp to make them really shine is kind of a no-brainer, plus you'll get more out of the 2C at the same time.
I agree. No issue spending a bit more considering my Elite are coming with the upgraded cable terminated in XLR. Just more or less wondering if it’s going to offer any benefit sound wise. Now to go Lyr or Jot.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #12,304 of 12,974
I agree. No issue spending a bit more considering my Elite are coming with the upgraded cable terminated in XLR. Just more or less wondering if it’s going to offer any benefit sound wise. Now to go Lyr or Jot.
For $3000+ TOTL headphones I would start the search around $800-$1000 for a good second-hand amp. Plus a matching DAC. And before some other members vocalise a strong counter opinion, no, it is not about money spent. It is about performance balance in the audio chain.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #12,305 of 12,974
For $3000+ TOTL headphones I would start the search around $800-$1000 for a good second-hand amp. Plus a matching DAC. And before some other members vocalise a strong counter opinion, no, it is not about money spent. It is about performance balance in the audio chain.
The main difference between the Jot and the lyr 3 would be the amount of power. The lyr 3 puts out 4 watts with a tube and the Jot puts out 7 on the balanced. The lyr 3 is plenty of power for the Elites.

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #12,307 of 12,974
Curious if that tube effect will be counterproductive with the 2C in the event I keep them after hearing the Elite.
I love the tubes with the 2c. I use vintage tubes from the 50s.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #12,308 of 12,974
I love the tubes with the 2c. I use vintage tubes from the 50s.
I’m typically a super high end IEM guy so I look forward to see how tubes play into the source chain and the overall outcome. I’m really looking for one open back headphone to do most of it for me. I’d like to think I’ll sell my 2C if the Elite does it for me but the 2C is just so enjoyable for the price.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #12,310 of 12,974
How does the Empyrean sounds with Elite pads?
less mid-bass, more mids. Closer soundstage. For me it's a step up, for some others a step down.
Note that the elite pads are not as deep and some report ear tips touching the metal.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #12,312 of 12,974
So....

The Elites are no doubt impressive. I wouldn't say they completely decimate the LCD 2C which is a huge compliment for the LCD 2C since it responds well to EQ and is rather cheap. Buuuut, I can see where the Elite take that in which is good about the LCD 2C and similarly Empyrean and expand upon it. Mid-range tone and layering is nearly, if not, perfect. Bass presence is more well integrated into the overall low end note weight continuing through mid range. Treble is fairly similar if not the slightest bit more textured on the Elite.

I'd imagine the Elite would be the best overall for musical enjoyment at the highest level right before entering the realm of listening to gear rather than music. I paid $2600 for mine and they are mint. Can't imagine anything exists at that price that would even touch these for overall satisfaction. Unless you prefer the Empyrean of course.

Comfort and build. Not even close.

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #12,313 of 12,974
Out of curiosity I ordered the Vegan leather pads for the Empyrean.

I was hoping for the same feel that the Liric pads offer, but unfortunately it's not.

Sound wise I can't detect differences to the Real leather, but the feel of the Real leather is superior in this case.

So unless you don't want to for Moral reasons, go with the Real leather, they are the better pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back