Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #12,256 of 12,974
The Empyreans do scale very well and can give you plenty of detail with lots of soul.

They are not as detailed as the Elites but veiled is certainly not a word I would use.

It is completely logical to think that the midrange bass would interfere with the vocals but actually it's one of the best traits. Vocals are wonderful on the Empyrean. Especially vocal jazz, Sinatra and the like.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #12,257 of 12,974
The Empyreans do scale very well and can give you plenty of detail with lots of soul.

They are not as detailed as the Elites but veiled is certainly not a word I would use.

It is completely logical to think that the midrange bass would interfere with the vocals but actually it's one of the best traits. Vocals are wonderful on the Empyrean. Especially vocal jazz, Sinatra and the like.
I’ll probably go with the Empyreans. I enjoy the Audeze LCD 2 Closed so I can’t imagine it’ll be less impressive and musical.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #12,258 of 12,974
I’ll probably go with the Empyreans. I enjoy the Audeze LCD 2 Closed so I can’t imagine it’ll be less impressive and musical.
If you are happy with the Audeze LCD2, then Empyrean is an upgrade in many ways. I don’t think you’d find it veiled, or having recessed vocals at all by comparison.

Empyrean often gets dinged for not being as technical or detailed as other TOTL, but I really like it’s warm intimate style.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #12,259 of 12,974
If you are happy with the Audeze LCD2, then Empyrean is an upgrade in many ways. I don’t think you’d find it veiled, or having recessed vocals at all by comparison.

Empyrean often gets dinged for not being as technical or detailed as other TOTL, but I really like it’s warm intimate style.
Good info, thank you. I tend to divert away from many TOTL headphones as they seem to be just a detail chase beyond some point. The musical aspect becomes listening to your gear rather than music. I want to get right to that threshold and live there. I heard Susvara before and it just seemed like bright information overload. Don’t get me wrong they were impressive but not something I would get lost in music with.

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #12,260 of 12,974
The Empyrean pads I ordered for my Elites arrived yesterday. Less than 48 hours delivery time from Romania to Ireland. Fair play DHL! Wasn't expecting them until Monday at least.

They definitely have some nice qualities. Love the bit of extra clamping force. Bass seems to have tightened up a bit. I feel they are a tiny bit more closed in sounding than the Hybrids. I can't quite describe it, but it takes a minute or two to adjust when swapping them out. The extra gap between the driver and my ear is nice. I think the perfect combination for me would be thw thickness of Empyrean pads, but with the ear-space of the Elite hybrid pads.

These are just initial impressions. I'll take a while to get used to them and see what I think. I reckon it's worth trying a set just for the sake of it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #12,261 of 12,974
something I would get lost in music with.
For me, this entirely what the hobby is about, finding that gear or combination of gear that allows me to completely escape into the music. Sometimes my head just isn’t in the right place for it to work, but the Empyrean, Andro2020, and Cascade can pretty much always trigger this, while the A12t is just so transparent all I hear is the music itself not the gear. Sure, a piece of gear needs to be technical enough so I’m not left wondering what I’m missing, but I also need that warm lush tonality that creates a sense of calm. If you want that in a headphone, Empyrean is hard to beat; if you want it a bit more technical and don’t mind the extra $$, Elite seems like end-game to me.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #12,262 of 12,974
Maybe it's just me, but I can only do critical listening for an hour or so. After I just want to enjoy. And Empy so far seems like a very easy HP to enjoy. Comfortable, smooth, built to last. I didn't find a genre it wouldn't suit. Maybe there are slightly more detailed HPs for this price, but not sure there are far better overall packages.

My plan is to eventually get some high-end electrostats for ultimate detail and be done with the journey.

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #12,263 of 12,974
Maybe it's just me, but I can only do critical listening for an hour or so. After I just want to enjoy. And Empy so far seems like a very easy HP to enjoy. Comfortable, smooth, built to last. I didn't find a genre it wouldn't suit. Maybe there are slightly more detailed HPs for this price, but not sure there are far better overall packages.

My plan is to eventually get some high-end electrostats for ultimate detail and be done with the journey.
Hoping for an electrostat from Meze.

Crazy detail capabilities of an estat paired with Mezes house sound would be the perfect headphone

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #12,265 of 12,974

Just picked up an Empyrean gently used, at first I felt a bit taken back since I’m used to hearing analytical in this price range. But then I started giving it a shot. 2 hours later still listening and no fatigue and I‘m amazed by the intense energy it has, the music comes alive especially guitars and drums. But where I really think I found its use is as a great cinematic headphone for watching movies with lots of intensity, think acting movies with explosions. My LCD-X was my previous go-to for film watching but this might get me through a 2 hour movie better without feeling like my ears are bleeding by the end, it’s got the smoothness and the ”big” sound which I like.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #12,266 of 12,974
Just picked up an Empyrean gently used, at first I felt a bit taken back since I’m used to hearing analytical in this price range. But then I started giving it a shot. 2 hours later still listening and no fatigue and I‘m amazed by the intense energy it has, the music comes alive especially guitars and drums. But where I really think I found its use is as a great cinematic headphone for watching movies with lots of intensity, think acting movies with explosions. My LCD-X was my previous go-to for film watching but this might get me through a 2 hour movie better without feeling like my ears are bleeding by the end, it’s got the smoothness and the ”big” sound which I like.
You really can just enjoy the music.

I played the Empyreans to a work colleague - a complete non Audiophile and his comment was "It makes you feel the music". That kind of sums it up.

The Elite has the technicalities more akin to a flagship without losing that soul and "getting lost in the music" that the Empyreans have.

I love them both.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #12,267 of 12,974
One important aspect to consider for people choosing Empyrean vs. Elite, and mixing pads, w/o audition:
With Elite the tip of my ear was touching the grill slightly. Empy pads are significantly deeper, so no such problem. Ofc it's all individual, if you know you have huge locators (like me) - beware.
That problem is something I want to avoid at all costs, I hate it, and it's the main reason I didn't buy the LCD-X.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #12,268 of 12,974
I have pretty big ears and I have felt it touch the grill once or twice while adjusting it but only very lightly.

It's certainly not always touching it - or if it is I don't notice it at all as I think that would annoy me as well.

Worth trying them on first if you can of course.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #12,269 of 12,974
What amps are you guys using with your Empyreans and Elites? I'm still using my old Magni 3+ and Modi 3+ that I bought with my HD 6XX. I'm thinking of selling that stack and my Arya V2s and going for something like a Fiio K9 Pro ESS or a Hifiman EF400. I want something that has proper balanced jacks on it. My Elites came with a Copper PCUHD XLR cable and I've wanted to try it out. I also want something that will have as many cable options as possible in case I get something that has a 4.4mm cable etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back