Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #11,971 of 13,028
Hey guys quick question!

Do you think driving the empyrean through the balanced output of the ifi go bar (475 mw) would be enough to satisfy in a portable setup?

Thanks for all the advice!
I was listening to mine on a fiio ka3 via balanced for the extra power. To be fair I was pleasantly surprised, maybe a 7 or 8 / 10 compared to a 10/10 desktop setup. They do loose some depth, I agree with betula to do them justice you need to give them the right power.

Jul 30, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #11,972 of 13,028
Hey guys quick question!

Do you think driving the empyrean through the balanced output of the ifi go bar (475 mw) would be enough to satisfy in a portable setup?

Thanks for all the advice!
Yes but don't expect miracles.
As long as you know what are the sq limits then it is good.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #11,974 of 13,028
I was listening to mine on a fiio ka3 via balanced for the extra power. To be fair I was pleasantly surprised, maybe a 7 or 8 / 10 compared to a 10/10 desktop setup. They do loose some depth, I agree with betula to do them justice you need to give them the right power.
Okay cool that’s good to know and makes total sense, what do you think they really need to shine power wise?

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #11,976 of 13,028
Dang, not even something like mojo 2, Hugo 2, ifi diablo, etc??
They sound good, until you hook them up to a similarly priced full sized desktop system. Then you realise what was missing. Of course a lot depends on the actual headphone we are talking about.

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #11,979 of 13,028
Any recommendations for a portable to drive them appropriately price no object?
I think the Empyrean has great synergy with the A&K Kann Cube and the Kann Alpha.
I like it as well on Hiby R8. 80% of my listening happening on that due to mobility and ease of use, despite that I prefer the Empyrean with my desktop tube amp.

I would like to hear how it sounds on Cayin N8ii. That one was driving the Elites like crazy, when I have heard it on an audio exhibition.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #11,981 of 13,028
Any recommendations for a portable to drive them appropriately price no object?
I use a Hugo 2 exclusively and it sounds great with power to spare. I think it combines well with the Empys in that it counters some of the darkness. I certainly didn't feel the desktop setups at CanJam at the weekend made it feel inadequate.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #11,982 of 13,028
I think the Empyrean has great synergy with the A&K Kann Cube and the Kann Alpha.
I like it as well on Hiby R8. 80% of my listening happening on that due to mobility and ease of use, despite that I prefer the Empyrean with my desktop tube amp.

I would like to hear how it sounds on Cayin N8ii. That one was driving the Elites like crazy, when I have heard it on an audio exhibition.

The Empyrean are equally well driven from the N8ii and come alive just like the Elite

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #11,983 of 13,028
I use a Hugo 2 exclusively and it sounds great with power to spare. I think it combines well with the Empys in that it counters some of the darkness. I certainly didn't feel the desktop setups at CanJam at the weekend made it feel inadequate.
We are obviously stretching limits with the Hugo 2 when we talk about portable gear. Sure, the Hugo 2 sounds fabulous regardless portability and beats many desktop solutions for the price. Yet, I would argue that the Qutest with a good secondhand amp for 2 grand altogether might sound better.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #11,985 of 13,028
The Empyrean are equally well driven from the N8ii and come alive just like the Elite
Thanks for that.
If I remember correctly you had the R8. Did it worth the change to n8ii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back