Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 12, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #11,446 of 12,974
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #11,449 of 12,974
Just received the Empy's. What are some of the best amps that go with it? I have RME Adi-2 Dac FS. Also have ZMF Pendant tube amp and ZMF Auteur headphones.
Also, do Empy's have a break in period? I do feel they can open up some more. I'm running them just out of RME's as of now.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #11,450 of 12,974
404. But did i see $2000USD?
Yup. I saw $2000 USD before the page went down.

The official release is Monday. I’m hoping Jude’s got measurements and an interview with Antonio. I’d love to hear more info regarding how it’s tuned.

At $2000 USD it’s highly competitive and it’ll sell like hot cakes if Meze nails the FR. I’d love a closed back warm sound like the Empyrean.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #11,453 of 12,974
Just received the Empy's. What are some of the best amps that go with it? I have RME Adi-2 Dac FS. Also have ZMF Pendant tube amp and ZMF Auteur headphones.
Also, do Empy's have a break in period? I do feel they can open up some more. I'm running them just out of RME's as of now.
Congratulations!
I enjoyed it from the first second. Some were saying it got the wished bass level after 200 hours.
Ampwise should work with anything. The higher you go, the better it gets. Try the Pendant. Some say it needs a good solid state amp, I love it out of the MHA200.
If you have some good cables for the Auteur, you can try, it shall be compatible. Maybe better than the stock cable.

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #11,454 of 12,974
Opinions and experiences of breaking in do differ; myself, I found a major improvement, from chalk to cheese, in terms of tonality.

I've looked up the ZMF Pendant and I'm impressed. It does a lot right; valve rectified, very good size transformers. If you fit really good valves I think it'll be pretty much as good as it gets with the Empyrean, as the ultralinear pentode circuit gives good drive which Empy likes.

I suggest Mullard EL84 (I've used them), expensive but excellent.
For the input valve, I suggest definitely avoiding 12AX7.
Try Valvo 6201 (a variety of 12AT7), Df6 marked; an excellent valve. You can find these marked as Philips; if they have the Df6 mark and are from a good dealer, they are the real thing.
Also I suggest you try a Cifte 12AU7 as it might match the Empy well; it has a nice top end sparkle (not harshness!). Most 12AU7s are a bit rolled off at the top, a bit soft and mushy, exactly what you don't want with the Empy. Or look into some 5814a variety of 12AU7 which might be OK.

Empyreans love valves and good drive. You can have both.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #11,455 of 12,974
Thanks guys! The sound is very warm and lush with the Pendant. I got some vintage tubes when I got the Pendant and that's what I'm currently using. Would be interesting to try some other tubes too. I also need to do some A/B listening with the Auteurs when I get a chance. Right out of the box Empyrean does sound great.
Are there any solid state or hybrid amps that pair well with the Empyreans? Just out of curiosity. I think I'm gonna stick with the Pendant or straight out RME for the near future :)

Nov 14, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #11,456 of 12,974
Thanks guys! The sound is very warm and lush with the Pendant. I got some vintage tubes when I got the Pendant and that's what I'm currently using. Would be interesting to try some other tubes too. I also need to do some A/B listening with the Auteurs when I get a chance. Right out of the box Empyrean does sound great.
Are there any solid state or hybrid amps that pair well with the Empyreans? Just out of curiosity. I think I'm gonna stick with the Pendant or straight out RME for the near future :)
I'm very happy with the Jot2 driving Empyrean, I think it's somewhat more aggressive, punchy nature pairs very well with the warmer Empy.

I reckon the Pendant pre-amping Jot2 would be pretty epic, and give you even more options to tweak the sound. What DAC are you using? If it's balanced & SE, then connecting both paths will further extend your options on how you want to listen.

Nov 14, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #11,457 of 12,974
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #11,459 of 12,974
Order confirmed 😬
Mine will probably be here on tuesday. Completing my Meze flagship collection again.
Also need to contact Trevor for cable Adapters...

Meze really hit it home with the Empyrean for me and they continue to do so. Both aesthetically and from a sound perspective Meze headphones are my favourites.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #11,460 of 12,974
Mine will probably be here on tuesday. Completing my Meze flagship collection again.
Also need to contact Trevor for cable Adapters...

Meze really hit it home with the Empyrean for me and they continue to do so. Both aesthetically and from a sound perspective Meze headphones are my favourites.
Which connectors does it have? I could not figure it out from the Meze pages. 3.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back