Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #10,231 of 12,974
I am very happy I bought the Empyreans again. I tried using it with the Formula S, but I hear a faint electrical noise, as if the headhphone is too sensitive for the amp. So I plug it straight into the DAVE. And it sounds awesome!

Currently listening to this album:

Dirk Ehlert – Elements (2017, File) - Discogs

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #10,232 of 12,974
I am very happy I bought the Empyreans again. I tried using it with the Formula S, but I hear a faint electrical noise, as if the headhphone is too sensitive for the amp.
I believe it's normal behaviour of Formula S. Also happen with LCD-X, although the "hiss" not as loud as I experienced with Milo.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #10,233 of 12,974
I am very happy I bought the Empyreans again. I tried using it with the Formula S, but I hear a faint electrical noise, as if the headhphone is too sensitive for the amp. So I plug it straight into the DAVE. And it sounds awesome!

Currently listening to this album:

Dirk Ehlert – Elements (2017, File) - Discogs
Does that mean the Formula S is not as good as Abyss has said it is? Or is it just a matching issue? Tks.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #10,234 of 12,974
Does that mean the Formula S is not as good as Abyss has said it is? Or is it just a matching issue? Tks.
Abyss recently posted a video on the Abyss thread in which they said that the Formula S is also good for easier to drive headphones or something to that effect, and I mentioned my Empyrean experience in response to that. I would say it's a very good amplifier for hard to drive headphones, but for more efficient ones, I don't think it works. Forget about IEMs too. But in my case it's totally fine, as I plug them straight into the Dave. (Actually the Dave produces hiss with sensitive IEMs like the Fourte, and I added a THX 789 to the chain for those cases.)

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #10,235 of 12,974
A lot of amps exhibit this behavior with low impedance, high sensitivity headphones. It’s completely normal for amps with high output made to drive demanding headphones.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #10,237 of 12,974
A lot of amps exhibit this behavior with low impedance, high sensitivity headphones. It’s completely normal for amps with high output made to drive demanding headphones.
I guess that's true. There are some exceptions though. Take an A90. It's very powerful, yet dead silent with sensitive headphones and IEMs. Whatever one thinks of the A90, I think that's pretty neat. And it makes me wonder why the 'big brands' can't achieve the same.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #10,238 of 12,974
Has anyone tried running the Empyrean directly from an R8 balanced (i.e., the 4.4mm output)?
Yes, I had. I was not happy at all at the beginning. With Forza Noir Hybrid cable and leather pad the punch of drums was so sharp that the bass was not enjoyable for me. (I am ptetty sensible to some upper mid freqencies) I was missing the nice soft bass from the Kann Cube.
After a few month of trying to get used to it came the recognition: R8+Empy is very good if I use either the SE out on R8 with adapter, or use a thinner cable (Forza Hybrid series HPC) on 4.4, and turn off the turbo mode. That took away the (for me) painful puch.
Even better result came on 4.4 with the Forza Noir Hybrid cable (turbo still off) by using the Alcantra pads. Then the sound went into the direction what I experienced with the T+A Solitaire P on HA200. Tighter bass, more treble, but still without the painful kicks.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #10,239 of 12,974
I've had mine for a year and LOVE them. When I'm listening at night my Wife is commenting (Choose your own descriptive) that she can hear the music from the next room. I'm "thinking" about buying a second headphone, closed back, so I don't have this issue. Any suggestions? Focal Stellia's seemed a good choice but I'm wary because I've seen people on Sell Forum letting them go after a few weeks. No clue. Also used or like new are going for around $2K which is $1K discount. Must be something there but what I don't know. They are for sure unattractive in that color.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #10,240 of 12,974
I've had mine for a year and LOVE them. When I'm listening at night my Wife is commenting (Choose your own descriptive) that she can hear the music from the next room. I'm "thinking" about buying a second headphone, closed back, so I don't have this issue. Any suggestions? Focal Stellia's seemed a good choice but I'm wary because I've seen people on Sell Forum letting them go after a few weeks. No clue. Also used or like new are going for around $2K which is $1K discount. Must be something there but what I don't know. They are for sure unattractive in that color.
Why not be patient and wait for the rumored closed baby Empyrean?

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #10,242 of 12,974
Sony MDR-Z1R Top choise

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #10,245 of 12,974
I would gladly wait for those. Thank you.
It's not even announced, nothing more than a rumor.
So if you really need a closed back now maybe take a look at the Kennerton Rögnir.

If you can wait until the end of thr year, a potential closed Empyrean could be announced.

However the upcoming Meze Headphone could be something entirely else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back