Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #10,126 of 13,028
Good thing I didn't get a Rögnir yet, sometimes waiting and not buying anything is the best move (in case it is actually a closed back Empyrean)
Rögnir? Kennerton? Fischer? Russian? Never heard before, thanks for the tip.
Wait and not get the Solitaire - I do not know if that is a good thing or not. For the wallet - sure. :)

May 27, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #10,127 of 13,028
Rögnir? Kennerton? Fischer? Russian? Never heard before, thanks for the tip.
Wait and not get the Solitaire - I do not know if that is a good thing or not. For the wallet - sure. :)
The Solitaire is devastating to the wallet, it's so good that you won't return it.
I love mine, nice addition to the Empyrean.

I was referencing the Kennerton Rögnir from Russia. Potentially the best closed back, and most definitely the prettiest one in Karelian Birch.

May 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #10,129 of 13,028
Just saying, the Empyrean bass can sound quite tight and impactful with the proper pairing.
I agree, in general the Empyrean bass can easily sound muddy and out of control.
Paired with a scientifically accurate DAC and a clean dynamic amp however, that bass becomes tight and punchy as one would expect.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #10,132 of 13,028
Alas, no. Just the Odin, Vali, and Thekk (and a Fischer anniversary model). I'm interested in the Rognir for a closed back.
I am interested in Kennerton, but it is so hard to audition without buying blind. And just like with everything else, reviews are quite controversial.

May 28, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #10,133 of 13,028
I wish Meze would come up with a new hybrid pad option, promised almost two years ago.
Combining the tighter and more impactful bass of the leather pads with the more opened, more natural sounding and airier mids/treble of the suede pads.

May 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #10,134 of 13,028
I wish Meze would come up with a new hybrid pad option, promised almost two years ago.
Combining the tighter and more impactful bass of the leather pads with the more opened, more natural sounding and airier mids/treble of the suede pads.
That would be the dream combination.

I really wonder when we will see an official announcement of New stuff

May 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #10,135 of 13,028
The leathers are pretty damn good wirh the proper source. Maybe a perforated leather option to increase the soundstage? Or a better tuned microfibre option?

I’ll join the chorus in wanting something in between, though have a preference towards the rich neutrality of the leathers

May 29, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #10,136 of 13,028
Got word that Empyreans have arrived. Picking them up from the dealer tomorrow. Very excited. Anything I should know or prepare for getting them new?

My current setup is an Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 stack. I know the Asgard 3 doesn’t really pair well, so I have a Jot 2 on the way (probably be a couple months due to the Schiit shortage). I’ll be running SE until the Jot amp arrives.

May 29, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #10,138 of 13,028
Got word that Empyreans have arrived. Picking them up from the dealer tomorrow. Very excited. Anything I should know or prepare for getting them new?

My current setup is an Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 stack. I know the Asgard 3 doesn’t really pair well, so I have a Jot 2 on the way (probably be a couple months due to the Schiit shortage). I’ll be running SE until the Jot amp arrives.
Try quickly burning them in before doing any serious listening. In my experience, 200 hours is the sweet spot. Leave them playing on a loop for a few days. That ought to do the trick.

May 29, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #10,139 of 13,028
A bunch of flowers to the Queen, plug it in, and enjoy! Do not think about pairing. :)

May 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #10,140 of 13,028
The leathers are pretty damn good wirh the proper source. Maybe a perforated leather option to increase the soundstage? Or a better tuned microfibre option?

I’ll join the chorus in wanting something in between, though have a preference towards the rich neutrality of the leathers
I lean towards leather too. They are just so much more fun, even with their imperfections versus the velour (less opened upper mids and treble). At least with my music. Classical is better on the velour. Modern music is better with the leather pads: more impact, more definition. At least to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back