Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #9,181 of 12,974
I have not experienced any bleeding or muddiness of stuff due to the Empy's low end tone...the bass if definitely fuller and rich for sure..but at the same time all the minutiae
is still there to my ears...

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #9,182 of 12,974
The Octave has noteably higher resolution and basically the best of the Ha-6as Triode and Ultralinear mode at the same time.
Meaning it has the tube flavour of Triode mode but also the extension of Ultralinear mode.
Bass has also more authority especially in the lowest Octaves.
On top it has the ability to use KT120 and KT150 tubes. (KT88, EL34 and 12au7 are the same though
The Octave V16 looks an interesting amp, I have to admit it probably sounds better than my own amp - but there are similarities.
Both use pentodes in triode mode, single ended.
But the KT120 is a powerhouse of a valve! Which explains the authority and good bass performance.

I use the EL33 pentode which sounds very good in triode mode, excellent tonality. I can't use the KT120 etc in my design of amp as it has too low a gain as a triode, so needs a driver stage (hence the 12AU7 in the V16). During development I found that removing the gain stage from my amps improved the sound - but of course it limits the choice of power valve. The EL33 is more powerful than the one I used before, and this is noticeable.

Something I read suggests that the V16 may use an output circuit called parafeed, where a capacitor is used to block DC from the output transformer, allowing this to be smaller and simpler. I've never tried it but I know it can work well, especially in a power amp of low power. Evidently Octave make it work very well.

The V16 is evidently a fine amp, must be well engineered, the specs are good. I'd love to hear one - and I don't say that about too many amps.
As I find the EL33 to be a special valve, my amp might just match it for tonality and vocals, which are generally my priorities.

It's good to find out about how well the Empyrean performs with really good valve amps (I know this already of course), as I seem to remember in the past that it was suggested it wasn't an ideal match for valves!

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #9,183 of 12,974
The Octave V16 looks an interesting amp, I have to admit it probably sounds better than my own amp - but there are similarities.
Both use pentodes in triode mode, single ended.
But the KT120 is a powerhouse of a valve! Which explains the authority and good bass performance.

I use the EL33 pentode which sounds very good in triode mode, excellent tonality. I can't use the KT120 etc in my design of amp as it has too low a gain as a triode, so needs a driver stage (hence the 12AU7 in the V16). During development I found that removing the gain stage from my amps improved the sound - but of course it limits the choice of power valve. The EL33 is more powerful than the one I used before, and this is noticeable.

Something I read suggests that the V16 may use an output circuit called parafeed, where a capacitor is used to block DC from the output transformer, allowing this to be smaller and simpler. I've never tried it but I know it can work well, especially in a power amp of low power. Evidently Octave make it work very well.

The V16 is evidently a fine amp, must be well engineered, the specs are good. I'd love to hear one - and I don't say that about too many amps.
As I find the EL33 to be a special valve, my amp might just match it for tonality and vocals, which are generally my priorities.

It's good to find out about how well the Empyrean performs with really good valve amps (I know this already of course), as I seem to remember in the past that it was suggested it wasn't an ideal match for valves!
Unfortunately I never heard an EL33 Tube, is it similar to EL34 or KT88 in requirements?

Personally I don't like the KT120 much, it's too bright for my taste.
The KT150 is amazing though.

At some point I will try some more KT88s and maybe even EL34.

The Empyrean sounds amazing with tubes imo, really a good match.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #9,185 of 12,974
Has anyone ever had an experience with sending the Empyrean to Meze for warranty service?

My right mini-XLR connector is loose and wobbles, so I contacted Meze for a service, and they are asking me to ship the headphone wrapped in a bubble wrap without the aluminum case.

I'm not sure if I'm too comfortable sending out an Empyrean without its proper casing.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #9,187 of 12,974
I have just heard some extremely illuminating thoughts on a live stream from The Headphone Show YouTube channel.

1, You don't need a better/more expensive amp or DAC than the SMSL or THX789 as the improvement you get with higher end DAC/amp is extremely minimal, almost nothing.
2, The LCD-X and the LCD-2 have better tuning than the Empyrean.

Given that they are not huge Audeze fans at all, this tells a lot about their opinion on the Empyrean. I am still a bit puzzled.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #9,188 of 12,974
I have just heard some extremely illuminating thoughts on a live stream from The Headphone Show YouTube channel.

1, You don't need a better/more expensive amp or DAC than the SMSL or THX789 as the improvement you get with higher end DAC/amp is extremely minimal, almost nothing.

Given that they are not huge Audeze fans at all, this tells a lot about their opinion on the Empyrean. I am still a bit puzzled.
1. Nonsense - I have THX789 and various other amps cheaper and higher priced and all of them sound different and better or worse depending on individual tastes.
I can pick any of these at a blind test anytime.

2. Purely subjective.
All of them are nicely tuned.
And it is well known that the guys at headphone don't like the Empyrean.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #9,189 of 12,974
Boy, where do I begin?

The Empys are a easy load for any amp to drive.
Whether one amp is better than another can be a complex thing depending on YOUR bias and tastes..etc function etc.

Most modern day SS amps will work very well with the Empys...

Empys have been a very polarizing headphone for many folks.

The only thing that matters is YOUR EARS and YOUR SATISFACTION.

Dont fall into the lemming line and take "illuminating thoughts" as gospel.

If your happy with a SMSL or THX 789 thats great. Then just enjoy the music.

I stopped listening to these guys and others...and only trust my ears and its with stuff here and that I can decide if its worth it or not.

Alex

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #9,190 of 12,974
1. Nonsense - I have THX789 and various other amps cheaper and higher priced and all of them sound different and better or worse depending on individual tastes.
I can pick any of these at a blind test anytime.

2. Purely subjective.
All of them are nicely tuned.
And it is well known that the guys at headphone don't like the Empyrean.
Thats for sure....

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #9,191 of 12,974
Andrew (Resolve) uses EQ, so default tuning quality, which imho is a strength of the Empy, is not really relevant to his reviews. The Audeze LCDs will rate higher due to their value in terms of technical performance.

Also, a great DAC and amp can improve staging and imaging. The Ares II gives me a deeper stage than any AKM chip DAC I’ve heard. And I just like the sound from the Jot 2 more than the 789. It’s a subjective call there, but the crosstalk might have something to do with the more natural soundstage? That’s where my limited technical understanding ends.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #9,192 of 12,974
The Schiit Jot 2 is a really good amp to use with the Empys and most any other headphone. I have the Jot1 and Jot 2 here.

A lot of reviewers play with EQ to make things better or "fix" what they might identify as "flaws" in the Freq Response curve they measure...good or bad.
Then its a is a headphone worth the price compared to others out there in that same price "band" etc..

IMO like Jason Stoddard just said in his recent chapter on how we are fooled...the only thing that should matter is how they sound to you, can u afford them etc..

I also had the THX amp here for a few months (my purchase) and sold it just because I thought it was not to my liking...

But if you think its fine, then its fine!

Enjoy the music!

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #9,193 of 12,974

Well "need" is a strong word.
For the Empyrean you technically won't need an amp at all, since it is so efficient.
You can run it directly from a Smartphone and receive sufficient volume.

The Empyrean do scale very well with better source and amplification though. The fact that they don't realize this doesn't speak good things about how valuable their opinion should be...

Seeing their point 1, point 2 doesn't come as a surprise.
I did really enjoy the tuning of the LCD2C myself, however the Empyrean bested it in basically everything for me.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #9,194 of 12,974
Thanks for all the feedbacks. I am with you guys.
Just to clarify, I also didn't like the THX789 and I also like both the LCD line and the Empyrean.

The reason I was 'puzzled' is because this review source seemed quite legit and they say they try to be objective and unbiased. But I find these statements borderline nonsense.
It is also strange, that the vast majority of review sources really like the Empyrean and headphones.com has a very negative opinion on them. Makes me wonder.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #9,195 of 12,974
Dont believe everything you see on the internet!!

LOL!

If you do a search and look at "other" reviews (if thats your thing to make you feel good)...there are many, many other reviews (I counted 20 or ) so that are very positive in regards to the Empys...

Now-a-days many folks are putting up reviews with glittering pictures, shots of whiskey in glasses and are trying to be the "experts" on all things headphones.

There are a lot of egos out there, things to be sold, and money to be had.

The end result is listen for your self and decide.

Buy from an entity that will allow you to send it back...with a good return policy.

I have the Empys here and love them, they arent perfect and are very different than other headphones I have...and I spend my time enjoying the good things about them and
not waste my time worrying over negative comments that others have in favor or other headphones etc..

Life is too short!

Alex
:>)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back