Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #8,956 of 13,028
Isolation is fantastic, and the soundstage is wide and deep. They are hands down the best closed back, let alone any can, I have heard. I'd sell the empys and abyss to keep the z1rs if I had to.
Thanks for your opinion, it sounds like I should test the Sony too :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #8,958 of 13,028
I'd disagree completely as I hear no treble spike, and I am extremely sensitive to treble. I sold my 800 because of this issue. Others have commented on the Sony not having this issue as well. I would not own it if it exhibited this problem.
The treble spike is well documented and measured. Saying that, I heard that Sony changed quietly the signature, so newer models significantly differ from the older ones. Anyway, here the graph. It is impossible not to hear it - so I assume you are lucky and got a newer model.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sony-mdr-z1r-measurements-based-review.3939/

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #8,959 of 13,028
The treble spike is well documented and measured. Saying that, I heard that Sony changed quietly the signature, so newer models significantly differ from the older ones. Anyway, here the graph. It is impossible not to hear it - so I assume you are lucky and got a newer model.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sony-mdr-z1r-measurements-based-review.3939/
Yes I must have a newer version. I bought it last summer. If I did have that crazy spike I would have dumped it with the 800. Eeek

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #8,960 of 13,028
@PrTv - I just stumbled across your photo and apologies if someone has already asked, but you have two of the very headphones at the top of my list: If you could choose only one, would you choose the Emphyrean or the Utopia? I'm hoping to narrow down my decision and would appreciate your input!
Well, in my view, each has its own Pros and Cons.

The Empy excels as all-rounder headphones. Most albums in my library sounded great with them. Not to mention the excellent comfort factor. Plus, I find that it doesn't need accessories that cost me my arm and leg to sound good. The stock cable sounds good, and switching to a very reasonably priced Moon-Audio Silver Dragon XLR elevated them to the next level. However, I wish they have a bit tighter mid-bass and a bit faster.

The Utopia is also excellent in its own right. Its detail retrieval is very hard to match and when combining with its fast speed and pin-point accuracy, you get an excellent pair of headphones, provided you feed it with good source. At first, I hate it, as it sounded too bright (I prefer warmer sounded headphones like LCD series). I had to match it with a (excellent but) pricey Lazuli Reference, and that's not enough to tame the high.

Below are with I did to get the "right" sound:
- replacing my MBP+Audirvana with aurender music server
- switching USB cable from Nordost Blue Heaven to Curious Evolved (known for its smoothness)
- replacing XLR cable with Audience AU24SE
- replacing AC for the whole system (Synergistic Research Foundation for my amp/dac and Shunyata Etron Digital for my aurender)

Now, Utopia sounds much more to my taste. Listening to “technically good to excellent” albums with the Utopia and right setup is so mesmerizing. Details and layering are so hard to match, and it gave me the level of satisfaction that the Empy simply can’t provide. [this is subjective, given my setup/music of choice and preference].

So... back to your question... if I can have only one headphones... I would pick the Empy. Because, although it can't quite match the Utopia (when the circumstance is right), the Empy still sounds great, and most importantly, it sounds great with a lot more albums in my library. Not to mention the great length I have to go just to get the Utopia to sound to my taste. I think the rule of diminishing returns is at full force here. Plus, it's very common knowledge how fragile the Utopia's drivers are. There are so many pairs with driver failure problem (one or both sides stop working without any warning). If this happens after the warranty, repair cost would be too much to justify the repair. I wasn't aware of this problem when making the purchase.

Don't know if my experience above helps, but hope you get the headphones you like.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #8,964 of 13,028
... Listening to “technically good to excellent” albums with the Utopia and right setup is so mesmerizing...

... the great length I have to go just to get the Utopia to sound to my taste...
This! Utopia rewards a great source chain, but its signature can also sound harsh and/or analytical, depending on the chain and the material. I used to talk about how I felt like I should love them, but couldn't quite get over the (what I call) sharpness.

Note that I sold Empyrean, but not due to preferring Utopia. Rather it was RAD-0 which drove Empy out.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,965 of 13,028
Well, in my view, each has its own Pros and Cons.

The Empy excels as all-rounder headphones. Most albums in my library sounded great with them. Not to mention the excellent comfort factor. Plus, I find that it doesn't need accessories that cost me my arm and leg to sound good. The stock cable sounds good, and switching to a very reasonably priced Moon-Audio Silver Dragon XLR elevated them to the next level. However, I wish they have a bit tighter mid-bass and a bit faster.

The Utopia is also excellent in its own right. Its detail retrieval is very hard to match and when combining with its fast speed and pin-point accuracy, you get an excellent pair of headphones, provided you feed it with good source. At first, I hate it, as it sounded too bright (I prefer warmer sounded headphones like LCD series). I had to match it with a (excellent but) pricey Lazuli Reference, and that's not enough to tame the high.

Below are with I did to get the "right" sound:
- replacing my MBP+Audirvana with aurender music server
- switching USB cable from Nordost Blue Heaven to Curious Evolved (known for its smoothness)
- replacing XLR cable with Audience AU24SE
- replacing AC for the whole system (Synergistic Research Foundation for my amp/dac and Shunyata Etron Digital for my aurender)

Now, Utopia sounds much more to my taste. Listening to “technically good to excellent” albums with the Utopia and right setup is so mesmerizing. Details and layering are so hard to match, and it gave me the level of satisfaction that the Empy simply can’t provide. [this is subjective, given my setup/music of choice and preference].

So... back to your question... if I can have only one headphones... I would pick the Empy. Because, although it can't quite match the Utopia (when the circumstance is right), the Empy still sounds great, and most importantly, it sounds great with a lot more albums in my library. Not to mention the great length I have to go just to get the Utopia to sound to my taste. I think the rule of diminishing returns is at full force here. Plus, it's very common knowledge how fragile the Utopia's drivers are. There are so many pairs with driver failure problem (one or both sides stop working without any warning). If this happens after the warranty, repair cost would be too much to justify the repair. I wasn't aware of this problem when making the purchase.

Don't know if my experience above helps, but hope you get the headphones you like.
This is tremendously helpful information. I auditioned the Focal Utopia last week and have been racking my brain with all sorts of ways to purchase, sell items, justify it, etc. It sounded that good. Your post has really made me take pause and realize that the driver failure issue is not something easily navigated. If I bought used, I may have the remainder of my warranty, but when that warranty expires, it sounds like the repair fees are cost-prohibitive. That is not reassuring and despite it's awesome performance to my ears, I'd be constantly fearing the driver failure. I'm auditioning the Empyrean tomorrow and cannot wait. I've heard nothing but really solid feedback about the reliability/quality, so very much hoping these will do it for me.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #8,966 of 13,028
Has anybody listened to Empyrean's with Woo Audio wa5/wa5le? Seems not very much info on that combo. Review of headfonia says wa5 is not the best with planars but it seems to refer to Audeze. In any case it may be a good combo with Meze and it is interesting if anyone has any experience here.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #8,968 of 13,028

Users who are viewing this thread

Back