Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #8,851 of 13,028
Thanks. Between ayon vs auris nirvana- which one will you suggest? Thanks
I really do not know. I have not tried Auris Nirvana (unfortunately!). A friend of mine listened to both for a while and said Ayon is a bit more warm. I would not say Ayon is very warm, but it is very subjective. Difficult to say, especially it is not easy to access high end amps now.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #8,854 of 13,028
Anyone in Aus bought an Empyrean? They seem the retail for $5500AUD which really doesn't line up with the 3k USD price. I could import it much cheaper, especially with the exchange rate a little better now.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #8,856 of 13,028
The Milo has a tube sound to it with a bit of bloom in bass giving bass notes more weight. Also warm midrange there is no sacrifice in treble reproduction so it’s a fun amp. If set on tubes in general another favorite is the Euforia. Both amps take the punch the Empyrean is none for to next level.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #8,857 of 13,028
Both amps take the punch the Empyrean is none for to next level
Interesting. Having thought about it i belive this is the key for an amp for Empy's to add a punch. I think a lot of bad views on Meze results from bad pairing with amps. Meze can really sound mediocrate, but with proper amp they can sound top level and dynamic, a punch (not to be confused with brightness) is the key here.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #8,858 of 13,028
Interesting. Having thought about it i belive this is a key for an amp for Empy's to add a punch. I think a lot of bad views on Meze results from bad pairing with amps. Meze can really sound mediocrate, but with proper amp they can sound top level and dynamic, a punch (not to be confused with brightness) is a key here.
+1 to @Bonddam reco on the Euforia. I was driving the Empy with a Lyr3 and I thought it was great. The more reviews I read about the Empy's falling a bit short on technical performance I never really understood until I got the Euforia AE. it made the Bass and low end the Empy does well even better while adding the technical performance I didn't know I was missing. The Empy is very capable if amped properly. Add the right tubes which for me are, Tung Sol 5998 powers with CBS 5692 Drivers! it fit's my taste perfectly!

5692.jpg

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #8,859 of 13,028
Interesting. Having thought about it i belive this is a key for an amp for Empy's to add a punch. I think a lot of bad views on Meze results from bad pairing with amps. Meze can really sound mediocrate, but with proper amp they can sound top level and dynamic, a punch (not to be confused with brightness) is a key here.
Amp that doesn’t roll off the top end that isn’t sterile that keeps analog sound through out the lower the noise floor which is beyond what you can hear bring the Empyrean up more. Even a noise floor you can not hear can effect the detail on the Empyrean. I speak to Jeff from Wells Audio and he explained how the noise floor effects detail. I’ve reached new heights on the Empyrean. Went through many of amps and the Reference Milo was the best.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #8,860 of 13,028
Anyone in Aus bought an Empyrean? They seem the retail for $5500AUD which really doesn't line up with the 3k USD price. I could import it much cheaper, especially with the exchange rate a little better now.
I have a set coming from HeadAmp. Few grand cheaper than local!

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #8,863 of 13,028
Amp that doesn’t roll off the top end that isn’t sterile that keeps analog sound through out the lower the noise floor which is beyond what you can hear bring the Empyrean up more
Could not agree more. The above also reflects my impressions of Ayon/Empys combo (although i softened treble a bit with tubes/cables). I was surprised by how Empy's could sound. Would love to hear Euforia and Milo as well.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #8,864 of 13,028
How do these tubes compare to stock? I have the same amp, sans AE.
From my impression with other amp TS5998 is more dynamic than 6n13s (euforia's stock) with better bass, treble and wider soundstage, but not sure if this is the case with euforia. But the key is TS 5998 give more power (watts) Empyreans apparently respond to positively.

@scottshields have You tried Tung sol 7236? May be also a good match.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #8,865 of 13,028
Amp that doesn’t roll off the top end that isn’t sterile that keeps analog sound through out the lower the noise floor which is beyond what you can hear bring the Empyrean up more. Even a noise floor you can not hear can effect the detail on the Empyrean. I speak to Jeff from Wells Audio and he explained how the noise floor effects detail. I’ve reached new heights on the Empyrean. Went through many of amps and the Reference Milo was the best.

@Bonddam i see You have WA33, have You tried it with Meze? Was it good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back