Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 11, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #8,297 of 12,974
One amp not mentioned is Wells Audio Milo. I’m waiting for Jeff to finish building my Wells HeadTrip 2. Once I receive that amp Jeff is giving me full refund on Milo. The Milo is $2000 but powers everything with 10 watts at 50 ohms. The Empyrean is getting 12 watts and it’s amazing. The sound signature is slight warmth. Amp is desk friendly. The one in pic is reference which is better components but raises price to $5000image.jpg
If I were to go back to Solid State my choice would go 100% to the Milo!

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #8,299 of 12,974
Well here is a further update on my comparisons
Listening to more songs on the Kann Alpha, high gain output with the silver meze cables 4.4 and unbalanced 3,5 Utopia cables the difference between Utopia and Empyrean in bass is more or less gone and in some songs (for instance the peter gabriel album Up, especially the track: the Barry Williams show) the Empyrean outperforms Utopia in the bass regions, delivering a "heavier sound". I am relieved to report this, began to doubt what I read about Utopia
The moment i start listening on Arche with both headphones listening balanced via XLR, the bass is kicked to another level on Utopia and unbelievable rich in a natural but very encompassing way. The sound (not only on bass) is on another level compared to the empy. So it seems that the Arche boosts bass and I am surprised I never read about this in reviews for the Arche.
For me Utopia on Arche is also a very powerful bass performer, better than the Empyrean. On Kann Alpha they are comparable and sometimes Empyrean outperforms. On Arche the empy sounds ok, but when you put on the Utopia you realize that Arche is really a very good choice for it.Thought this should be good to know for Utopia owners, no switch is necessary for bass if you own the Arche, surprised this has not been noticed in the reviews. But i think Arche is not a very well known product and probably does not sell a lot. A shame really because the sound is exceptional.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #8,300 of 12,974
I'm very curious to know. I'm considering Kenzie Ovation, but with so many choices and no return policy, It's just hard to pull the trigger and then go around and sell it for $1500 less a month later.

Yes, buying anything audio blind is a bit of a leap of faith, particularly when the builder is a small company with not that many reviews. I really enjoy my Pendant with both the Empy and VO after going through 4 tube hybids amps, Vali 2, Garage 1217, Liquid Platinum, and a T4 so much so that I wanted more of what I liked in the Pendant and ordered the BB. I doubt you would buy the KO and then sell it for $1500 less but who knows? I guess I'll have a better idea of value when I list my Pendant!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8,301 of 12,974
Yes, buying anything audio blind is a bit of a leap of faith, particularly when the builder is a small company with not that many reviews. I really enjoy my Pendant after going through 3 tube hybids, Vali 2 to a Garage 1217 to a Liquid Platinum so much so that I wanted more of what I liked in the Pendant and ordered the BB. I doubt you would buy the KO and then only sell it for $1500 but who knows? I guess I'll have a better idea of value when I list my Pendant!

For $1500 less than what I paid for (pure loss, audition money)...anyway...it's frustrating for both parties, companies don't want to end up with "b" stock, and customers don't want to come home and fire up their new equipment and think "is this what i just paid $4000 for" and have a sweat appear on their forehead...Synergy you'll hear right away, Apex Teton and HD800 were like that. Both of them are gone now though, and I have Focal Elears and Meze Empyreans and looking for THE amp for them...

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #8,302 of 12,974
For $1500 less than what I paid for (pure loss, audition money)...anyway...it's frustrating for both parties, companies don't want to end up with "b" stock, and customers don't want to come home and fire up their new equipment and think "is this what i just paid $4000 for" and have a sweat appear on their forehead...Synergy you'll hear right away, Apex Teton and HD800 were like that. Both of them are gone now though, and I have Focal Elears and Meze Empyreans and looking for THE amp for them...
What about the Elears is appealing to you, to keep them despite having the Empyrean.

I'd imagine they'd crush the Elears

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #8,303 of 12,974
What about the Elears is appealing to you, to keep them despite having the Empyrean.

I'd imagine they'd crush the Elears

A different signature sound. I remember hearing Utopia and Elear (before Clear came along) and thought Utopia's were too expensive and Elears would give much a good taste of Focal sound. Now I know with proper amplification Id fall in love with Utopia's and would not think like that but regardless...I think for the money I paid for Elears they are good to have around.

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #8,304 of 12,974
For me Utopia on Arche is also a very powerful bass performer, better than the Empyrean. On Kann Alpha they are comparable and sometimes Empyrean outperforms. On Arche the empy sounds ok, but when you put on the Utopia you realize that Arche is really a very good choice for it.Thought this should be good to know for Utopia owners, no switch is necessary for bass if you own the Arche, surprised this has not been noticed in the reviews. But i think Arche is not a very well known product and probably does not sell a lot. A shame really because the sound is exceptional.
This sounds like the Arche EQs the Utopia? Couldnt really find an explanation how these "presets" work on the website, though I'll admit I didnt look very hard.
If so, neat idea, pretty cool to have that directly in the amp!

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #8,305 of 12,974
For those who have compared the two. Would it be fair to say empyrean is more fun, musical sounding (yet detailed) and susvara is technically superior but more neutral, flat, analytical sounding?

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #8,306 of 12,974
For those who have compared the two. Would it be fair to say empyrean is more fun, musical sounding (yet detailed) and susvara is technically superior but more neutral, flat, analytical sounding?
Properly amped, Susvara is neither flat nor analytical. Neutral to slightly warmish, extremely detailed and quite musical.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #8,307 of 12,974
You are right, it IS indeed synergy!
Even if I find the Bigger Ben, paired with the Empy and VO, to be my thing it may not be yours. My ears, my preferences, my music, and what tubes I have used in the amp all play a part.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #8,308 of 12,974
I owned the empyrean for a short time and own the susvara...had them both at the same time...bottom line there is no comparison the susvara plays in a different league...now that said it doesnt mean that some might not like the presentation of the empyrean better because everything is subjective...IMHO there really is no contest..the susvara, abyss TC and SR1A are in a league of their own

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #8,309 of 12,974
MUST........RESIST..............buying a Susvara!!!!

This is the Empy thread so perhaps this should be posted on the Susvara thread but has there been QC issues with this $$$ HM model as with some of their others?

Interesting that @jlbrach had his Susvara for sale recently and then decided to keep them!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #8,310 of 12,974
One amp not mentioned is Wells Audio Milo. I’m waiting for Jeff to finish building my Wells HeadTrip 2. Once I receive that amp Jeff is giving me full refund on Milo. The Milo is $2000 but powers everything with 10 watts at 50 ohms. The Empyrean is getting 12 watts and it’s amazing. The sound signature is slight warmth. Amp is desk friendly. The one in pic is reference which is better components but raises price to $5000

Please take care of your Milo.. Once it goes back to Jeff, it is getting configured to 230v and on its way to me..! :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back