Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #7,893 of 13,028
good pairing is Feliks Euphoria with Tung Sol 5998 tubes with the stock Psvane cv 181 mk2 driver tubes.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #7,894 of 13,028
I found the Lyr 3 to be a really good pairing with them, along with the Asgard 3. I then tried running my Bifrost 2 out to my Freya Plus and then into my Asgard 3, and it felt like the best of both worlds. Wasn't a fan of it with the Valhalla 2 though, but maybe it just doesn't like OTL amps
It definitely does not match well with my woo wa2 otl

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #7,895 of 13,028
Thanks for confirming I was wondering if I didnt get a defective pair. Let me know if you decide to keep them or not. I would send them back but no other HPs right now seem to have this perfect mix of comfort, sound and build as these. So I might just have to tough it out...
I had something similar at first, but noticed it more after finishing listening, say a few hours later or the following morning. It went away in the end (probably with a bit of my hearing range, ha)

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #7,896 of 13,028
like empyrean every minutes since I got it half year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_9843.jpg
    IMG_9843.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 0
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #7,898 of 13,028
How are these with old rock music and rock n roll? Like AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Pink Floyd, the Beatles etc. I'm really torn between these and the Aryas :D
Nothing wrong with the two options that you are considering but have you tried the utopias? If they are within your budget, and you haven’t yet, then definitely do. :) imho.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #7,899 of 13,028
I owned HEKv2 & Empyrean simultaneously -- Arya is pretty close to HEKv2. I would say Empyrean >>> HEKv2 for 'classic rock'. (Nerd here, sorry, '>' is 'greater than' so '>>>' is 'much greater than'.)

On the other hand, I can't imagine being torn between the two. They are pretty far apart sound wise -- tonality, headstage, bass emphasis/impact, detail. Certainly the two sets which were 'furthest apart' of all my cans at the time.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #7,900 of 13,028
Nothing wrong with the two options that you are considering but have you tried the utopias? If they are within your budget, and you haven’t yet, then definitely do. :) imho.
Not a bad choice, although my Auteur get more 'classic rock' headtime than my Utopia. You don't mention the Dead -- if you had, I'd call it a no-brainer. Auteur are the greatest Deadphones ever!

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #7,901 of 13,028
How are these with old rock music and rock n roll? Like AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Pink Floyd, the Beatles etc. I'm really torn between these and the Aryas :D
I sold my Aryas after getting the Empyrean.

The Arya is the best headphone sub 2000€ but the Empyrean has a fuller more intoxicating Sound.
So for your music Genre I'd say Empyrean

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #7,902 of 13,028
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #7,903 of 13,028
I owned HEKv2 & Empyrean simultaneously -- Arya is pretty close to HEKv2. I would say Empyrean >>> HEKv2 for 'classic rock'. (Nerd here, sorry, '>' is 'greater than' so '>>>' is 'much greater than'.)

On the other hand, I can't imagine being torn between the two. They are pretty far apart sound wise -- tonality, headstage, bass emphasis/impact, detail. Certainly the two sets which were 'furthest apart' of all my cans at the time.

With the current situation it's really difficult to demo headphones unfortunately.

I've heard mixed stuff about the Utopias, some people say they really prefer clears over Utopias which is weird. Also, I think 4k$ for the Utopias would be a bit too much for me.

Not a bad choice, although my Auteur get more 'classic rock' headtime than my Utopia. You don't mention the Dead -- if you had, I'd call it a no-brainer. Auteur are the greatest Deadphones ever!
What's a deadphone? :D ZMF is also definitely on the back of my mind too.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #7,904 of 13,028
With the current situation it's really difficult to demo headphones unfortunately.

I've heard mixed stuff about the Utopias, some people say they really prefer clears over Utopias which is weird. Also, I think 4k$ for the Utopias would be a bit too much for me.

Deadphones! You know, cans to listen to the Grateful Dead.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #7,905 of 13,028

i understand it can be difficult to demo stuff at the moment.
a couple of points:
you may find utopias in the classifieds for about $2500. There have been some driver failures with these. They have a 5 year transferable warranty if you have the original receipt amd bought from an authorised dealer

i currently own the empyreans, auteur, hekse and utopias (and hd800)

the empyreans have a very good level of detail and are forgiving so adaptable to different genres and quality recordings.

the highest level of detail and precision, for me, comes out of the utopias and hekse.
they are more energetic in their sound. it will depend on the gear you have.
these two are my general go to hps for rock when i want it to punch out

that’s me
i have no plans to sell the utopias or hekse
i am happy with the empyreans
i may sell the empyreans and hekse if i upgrade to the susvaras (that’s the only time i would sell the hekse)

i briefly demoed the aryas a while ago and i thought they were great value for rock

that’s my journey

all the best

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back