Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #7,591 of 12,974
I found the RebelAmp to be too warm when paired with the Empyreans. Very nice but not my cup of tea.
To warm wow. The Empyreans is a headphone I want but ya will have to wait for it. You sale your Rebel Amp?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #7,592 of 12,974
To warm wow. The Empyreans is a headphone I want but ya will have to wait for it. You sale your Rebel Amp?
The empyreans I find work very well with the thx amps and the low noise amps like the ones from geshelli labs. To me the rebel amp and the enpyrean were not the best match. However, i did find it amazing with the hifiman sundaras.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #7,593 of 12,974
Spending a (romantic) night with Empy today. Pair it with 8 braid Ares 2+ from effect audio.

Warm (of course), lush, sweet and relax are the main keywords. Bass is tighter, more agile, and seems deeper than original cable. Vocal has beautiful presence, with silky smooth treble. The upper mid / lower treble "bite" still there, that may sound a little sharp for certain recording, but butter smooth for most of them.

I always think Empyrean has more unique signature than kind of Audeze/Abyss/ZMF sound, that we need more of brain burn in to enjoy the Empy character, especially if we used to listen something closer to neutral character.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #7,594 of 12,974
Just picked up a DMP-Z1 and the Empyreans can SING on these

Photo Aug 24, 4 41 58 PM.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #7,595 of 12,974
I am looking for some advice on a headphone amp for my Empy with WyWire Platinum XLR. I currently use a Benchmark HPA4 with them and love it. I have no desire to move from this unit. I actually bought it for 2 channel music but the headphones sound incredible on it too. I also have the Bryston BHA-1 heahphone amp and I am not in love with it. There is a bit of a hardness in the sound that I can tolerate only with the warmer stock Empy cable, with the much better WyWire I get fatigued. It is not the cable it is the amp.

So in my quest to replace the Bryston I have been looking for something a little different than the HPA4. If I cannot find something that will work for me I may get a second HPA4. I want a clean quiet sound as a baseline. One amp that has me intrigued is the following,

Broadway by Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifier

https://abyss-headphones.com/collec...io-fully-balanced-battery-headphone-amplifier

Does anyone have any experience with this amp and the Bryston BHA-1? Which did you prefer?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #7,596 of 12,974
I am looking for some advice on a headphone amp for my Empy with WyWire Platinum XLR. I currently use a Benchmark HPA4 with them and love it. I have no desire to move from this unit. I actually bought it for 2 channel music but the headphones sound incredible on it too. I also have the Bryston BHA-1 heahphone amp and I am not in love with it. There is a bit of a hardness in the sound that I can tolerate only with the warmer stock Empy cable, with the much better WyWire I get fatigued. It is not the cable it is the amp.

So in my quest to replace the Bryston I have looking for something a little different than the HPA4. If I cannot find something that will work for me I may get a second HPA4. I want a clean quiet sound as a baseline. One amp that has me intrigued is the following,

Broadway by Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifier

https://abyss-headphones.com/collec...io-fully-balanced-battery-headphone-amplifier

Does anyone have any experience with this amp and the Bryston BHA-1? Which did you prefer?

Dunno the Bryston BHA-1 is pretty loved with the Empyrean.
I don't need a new solid state amp, but if I ever get one for my empys it will probably be a Bryston BHA-1.

Well anyways, curious if someone can actually answer your question

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #7,597 of 12,974
Dunno the Bryston BHA-1 is pretty loved with the Empyrean.
I don't need a new solid state amp, but if I ever get one for my empys it will probably be a Bryston BHA-1.

Well anyways, curious if someone can actually answer your question

I tried to love the BHA-1 but there is a slight harshness to the sound and a little too much bass, it gives me fatigue. It is a big disappointment because feature wise it is exactly what I want, including the preamp out to external amps. My Benchmark HPA4 on the other hand, using the same sources and cables and same tracks do not give me the fatigue and the bass is super tight. So maybe my perception is in relation to the HPA4. I could live with the bass but not the fatigue since that does not make listening fun anymore. It is also a PITA to keep changing from my great WyWire Paltinum XLR to the veiled stock Meze cable when I listen to the BHA-1.

I listen to the BHA-1 when I dose off in bed and last night I got really annoyed when I was not relaxing to the sound as I was layed out in bed.

Time for a new amp. Maybe I should say time to put the BHA-1 in storage and get something else. I paid so little for the BHA-1 that it would be pointless to sell it. I may get a second headphone in the future it may work better with the BHA-1.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #7,598 of 12,974
Maybe this is the wrong thread, but lately I've seen lots of Empy's for sale, and often it's from first or even second owners that have held on to them for just a few weeks or months. Is that indicative of anything?

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #7,600 of 12,974
I'm actually interested in buying a pair and don't have a chance to audition where I live, so seeing all these for sale as me rethinking it. I do love the LCD-3 but wonder if this might be even better.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #7,601 of 12,974
Maybe this is the wrong thread, but lately I've seen lots of Empy's for sale, and often it's from first or even second owners that have held on to them for just a few weeks or months. Is that indicative of anything?
Agree w/ @nwavesailor — no piece of hardware is the right thing for everyone. I bought Empy and owned them for a couple months — then sold. Just not my ‘cup of tea’. But that’s about my ears & preferences, not a knock on Empy.
I'm actually interested in buying a pair and don't have a chance to audition where I live, so seeing all these for sale as me rethinking it. I do love the LCD-3 but wonder if this might be even better.
For me, Empy >> LCD-3, in every way ... except weight :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #7,602 of 12,974
The Empyrean have a special "fun" tuning, unique among flagships.
So many want to try them since they have awesome Reputation, but the sound Presentation is something that doesn't fit everyone.

Many that really like totally linear headphones, get turned off by the slightly elevated bass, especially before burn in.
Others, like me, really love that characteristic about them.

So for me it is the perfect fit, but I can see why it wouldn't be for others.

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #7,604 of 12,974
The bass is not elevated.
The others are recessed.
This is the full range bass as it is experienced by a good full range speaker or speaker plus subs.
Actually, you're right, it's this way

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #7,605 of 12,974
Agree with that. The first time I heard the Empyrean I said to a mate that I felt like it was the first time a headphone felt like a speaker.

New Q, of the Empyrean updated SE cables, silver or copper? Unsure which one to buy. I’m using the stock 4pin XLR cable at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back