Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #7,564 of 12,974
I am listening meze empyrean with chord hugo TT2 high gain setting. But somehow I felt that the high gain setting is not providing me the calm feel that I get via chord mojo. Has anyone tried Tt2 in high gain? What is the right setting for meze empyrean with Tt2? Thanks.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #7,565 of 12,974
I am listening meze empyrean with chord hugo TT2 high gain setting. But somehow I felt that the high gain setting is not providing me the calm feel that I get via chord mojo. Has anyone tried Tt2 in high gain? What is the right setting for meze empyrean with Tt2? Thanks.

Keen to hear more about this.

I’ve got the TT2 in my sights and would definitely want it to pair well with TT2.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #7,566 of 12,974
Keen to hear more about this.

I’ve got the TT2 in my sights and would definitely want it to pair well with TT2.

When I listen with Tt2 high setting - I get noisier feeling when I listen to music. When I pause music, there is no noise or hiss though. I am listening with 8 db volume level. I got a feeling that the music is noisy though there are lot of details. But when I listen via mojo, I am not getting the noisy feeling.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #7,567 of 12,974
When I listen with Tt2 high setting - I get noisier feeling when I listen to music. When I pause music, there is no noise or hiss though. I am listening with 8 db volume level. I got a feeling that the music is noisy though there are lot of details. But when I listen via mojo, I am not getting the noisy feeling.

Do you need to run the TT2 in high gain with the Empyrean? Perhaps that is the issue?

Mojo will obviously be less detailed than the TT2, so I wonder if the detail difference is what you are detecting.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #7,568 of 12,974
The noise you are hearing is in the recording itself. That's the revealing nature on the TT2. Some music uses actual records to record the backing tracks then mix other sounds on top of them. It's the reason why when you pause your music, the hissing stops. As good as the Mojo is it doesn't offer you the insight into the music as the TT2 does.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #7,570 of 12,974
I am not sure what do you mean by listening with 8db volume level. I am using HQplayer with Roon, feeding TT2 and I recommend using the Vol max limiter setting to -3db in case you want to eliminate some possibility of clipping issues. Otherwise 0db settings should be ok. I will definitely not exceed +0db.

Hugo TT2 is my only one and main source for Empyreans, using high gain and I can`t be more happy with this amazing combo. And from my experience all of the planars I had in the past with more different amps, everytime I used them on high gain. Low gain never sounded better on any planars and with any source I have ever had. I think, planars love power. And I am not definitely alone with this statement.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #7,571 of 12,974
I am not sure what do you mean by listening with 8db volume level. I am using HQplayer with Roon, feeding TT2 and I recommend using the Vol max limiter setting to -3db in case you want to eliminate some possibility of clipping issues. Otherwise 0db settings should be ok. I will definitely not exceed +0db.

Hugo TT2 is my only one and main source for Empyreans, using high gain and I can`t be more happy with this amazing combo. And from my experience all of the planars I had in the past with more different amps, everytime I used them on high gain. Low gain never sounded better on any planars and with any source I have ever had. I think, planars love power. And I am not definitely alone with this statement.

From my own experience I can say this is true.
Even if a planar doesn't need tons of power, all of those I tried scaled with additional power.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #7,572 of 12,974

Sorry. I meant -8 dB setting (shown in tt2 display). I will try hqplayer setting. Thank you.

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #7,573 of 12,974

Agreed, my TT2 stays on high gain even with low impedance headphones. The Empyrean’s when I had them for an in home demo sounded the best on high gain. I didn’t have to use a lot of volume, but I knew I was getting the most out of them. The TT2 and Empyrean’s is an outstanding combo.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #7,574 of 12,974
The noise you are hearing is in the recording itself. That's the revealing nature on the TT2. Some music uses actual records to record the backing tracks then mix other sounds on top of them. It's the reason why when you pause your music, the hissing stops. As good as the Mojo is it doesn't offer you the insight into the music as the TT2 does.

Tape hiss (not records) is a weird artifact that is pleasant once you get used to it but distracting if you've b never heard it before.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #7,575 of 12,974
Agreed, my TT2 stays on high gain even with low impedance headphones. The Empyrean’s when I had them for an in home demo sounded the best on high gain. I didn’t have to use a lot of volume, but I knew I was getting the most out of them. The TT2 and Empyrean’s is an outstanding combo.
I might switch to high gain with the empys, abyss, and lcd4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back