Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #7,051 of 13,030
Thanks for the suggestions! So far I've tried the CMA-400i, i don't know how that compares to the 600i or the CMA12 but will definitely give those a try. As for the Schiit stuff, the only shop that i know has them didn't sell the Empyreans at the time, so i guess now that I have them, I will need to go on an outing with my new toy :)

Based on the reviews I definitely would be keen to try out the Topping stack and the Rme, but have yet to find a place that sells them.

If i were to go down the Bryston route, what DAC would you suggest pairing with it?

J

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #7,052 of 13,030
Hey man, I will be receiving my topping A90/D90 mqa stack hopefully by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it sounds!

I currently use the Woo WA8 with my Empyrean and it sounds awesome. So I'll see how the Topping stack compares.

Sweet, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the pairing!

J

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #7,053 of 13,030
Hi all, recently picked up a pair of these gorgeous headphones and couldn't be happier. New to the world of audio thanks to a friend of mine who let me check out his setup. Initially went to the shop to look at the Aryas which my friend was using, but just so happened to catch a glimpse of the Empyreans that everyone was talking about online, tried them on and ended up walking out of the shop with a pair. :)

I can't really describe how it sounds compared to other headphones as I don't have much experience with much else, all I know is I come home from work and start listening from around 8pm all the way till 2am, with the only thing stopping me being having to wake up the next day to go to work.

I currently listen to them on my PC using tidal, and hooked up to an iFi micro black label which my friend recommended as a more minimal and somewhat portable setup as I do travel quite often and intend to take them on trips. However I wouldn't mind getting a more stationary setup and was hoping for some recommendations for around $2000.

I listen to most genres of music, and am currently streaming from tidal. I do find that mqa does sound slightly better but was wondering if I should make that a criteria for buying a new dac/amp. Some options that I have read up on are the Rme adi 2, the Topping d90mqa/a90 or the Chord Hugo 2, however as the d90 is the only one that supports mqa playback I'm leaning towards that.

Thanks in advance!

J

Besides what above users said, would add the Ifi iDSD pro (used), and or Violectric V280/V281 (used)+ Chord Qutest (used) combo.

There is the RME Dac + ifi iCan pro (used) combo too.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #7,054 of 13,030
Thanks for the suggestions! So far I've tried the CMA-400i, i don't know how that compares to the 600i or the CMA12 but will definitely give those a try. As for the Schiit stuff, the only shop that i know has them didn't sell the Empyreans at the time, so i guess now that I have them, I will need to go on an outing with my new toy :)

Based on the reviews I definitely would be keen to try out the Topping stack and the Rme, but have yet to find a place that sells them.

If i were to go down the Bryston route, what DAC would you suggest pairing with it?

J
Schiit only sells directly online.
With the Bryston I would go for a Schiit Bifrost 2 as DAC.
Together it still stays below 2K

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #7,055 of 13,030
Besides what above users said, would add the Ifi iDSD pro (used), and or Violectric V280/V281 (used)+ Chord Qutest (used) combo.

There is the RME Dac + ifi iCan pro (used) combo too.
These are great combos, good recommendations and good value for money.

Honestly, I never understood the surprisingly significant proportion of audiophile crowd who drive 2000-3000K headphones out of 200-300 gear.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #7,057 of 13,030
Looks like I have a lot of testing and reading up ahead of me, looking forward to what I will find!

J
That's half the fun of this hobby

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #7,058 of 13,030
I dont like how they claim that they are the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array headphones.. when there have been examples going as far back into the 80s.. the oldest that I know of being the Soviet USSR made AMFITON TDS (Амфитон ТДС) 7 and 15 from the 1980s
The ones you mention can be isodynamic, but maybe not hybrid. Or not array :o2smile:.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #7,059 of 13,030
Hi all, recently picked up a pair of these gorgeous headphones and couldn't be happier. New to the world of audio thanks to a friend of mine who let me check out his setup. Initially went to the shop to look at the Aryas which my friend was using, but just so happened to catch a glimpse of the Empyreans that everyone was talking about online, tried them on and ended up walking out of the shop with a pair. :)

I can't really describe how it sounds compared to other headphones as I don't have much experience with much else, all I know is I come home from work and start listening from around 8pm all the way till 2am, with the only thing stopping me being having to wake up the next day to go to work.

I currently listen to them on my PC using tidal, and hooked up to an iFi micro black label which my friend recommended as a more minimal and somewhat portable setup as I do travel quite often and intend to take them on trips. However I wouldn't mind getting a more stationary setup and was hoping for some recommendations for around $2000.

I listen to most genres of music, and am currently streaming from tidal. I do find that mqa does sound slightly better but was wondering if I should make that a criteria for buying a new dac/amp. Some options that I have read up on are the Rme adi 2, the Topping d90mqa/a90 or the Chord Hugo 2, however as the d90 is the only one that supports mqa playback I'm leaning towards that.

Thanks in advance!

J

might i strongly suggest ignoring the MQA stuff. 1) it is lossy (blah!) 2) Who care if the files are smaller.. which is its only strong feature. 3) Almost nothing is MQA, but if you bump into something that is, have it converted to PCM before it hits you DAC. It will sound the same. (It isn't like the content was recorded in MQA and it was also likely mastered in PCM. It is like people that love records... that are made from digital sources.. *sigh*
again, lossy? What :) You might want to look at Qobuz streaming. It is 100% lossless, but know they don't have any premade useful playlists. (You'll want to use your own.)
I think they have a free month trial.

Hugo 2 is nice, the topping... anything.. sounds like ass IMO. The schiit stuff is really nice , but do go for the multi-bit options.
bluesound 2i (as a streamer, not dac) -> schiit dac -> schiit Mjolnir -> XLR to your headphones :) == profit!

I'm a big fan of XLR and keeping each channel away for each other. So, all XLR.. if tubes, each channel has their own - and if using speakers == monoblocks :)

but if you want to start cheaply. Just get the Shiit Lyr. (change the tube out and get a the multibit dac as part of it. It doesn't have XLR out, which makes me sad.)
https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-1

of course if you are looking at the Hugo 2 $$.. might as well look at the yggy too. PS Audio makes some really nice stuff too. hrmm.. that DirectStream Dac. I want to go to there. It also would be a nice fit with the schiit mj2.

(note, i went with the yggy and mj2 personally, but i'd be hapy to change them out if someone gave me a Dave.)
PrimaLuna is some sexy too.. but... that looks like a tube nightmare for me... so many. I also isn't a dac. I already have a box of tubes and i don't want to add more (even though i just got some new ones coming which should be a nice match for the empy :p )

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #7,060 of 13,030
Yes, we have discontinued the Gun Metal Empyrean. We are not doing this because of the inconsistency issue. The whole story is, we have not only change the grill color of the Empyrean but changed the complete color scheme and metal finishing.

All three versions of Empyrean shared the same frame in terms of design, structure and materiel. The frame of the new Black Copper and Jet Black are identical, they are black in color, sand blasted and then anodized, They are different from the original Gun Metal frame which was gray color and with a different finishing.

The supply chain and production process of Empyrean is probably more difficult then most headphone users can anticipate. Some early users probably remember that when we debut the Empyrean at CanJam NYC 2018, the Empyrean was a limited production item. We solved a lot of problems to make it a "regular" product, but it is still the most difficult headphone to produce in our line up.

We have introduced the Black Copper version briefly last year, and we had a difficult time to keep two color schemes in production efficiently. We had to maintain two different production queues and dealers had to handle customer orders according to their preferred color separately. Inevitably this has slowed us down in production, increase the complexity of dealers' inventory and order assignment, and occasionally lead to unhappy customers. We have exhausted our options in 2019 and we still can't built enough Empyrean for our customers. We must improved our efficiency and therefore narrow down to a shared Empyrean frame across two different color options.

We have compared the Gun Metal, Black Copper and Jet black versions carefully and can confirmed that they sound, and measured, identically. Hopefully the new arrangement will solve some of our problem and shorten then waiting list in next few months. :beerchug:

Is the original type of finishing gone forever due to this production complexity, or is there a chance it will come back for future colorways once the limited Copper version is phased out? I'm probably in the minority here since a lot of people seem to dig the Copper, but personally I found the original Gunmetal Empyrean the most aesthetically pleasing. An essential element of that was the very unique looking pattern of 'intentional machining marks' on the metal frames that imo was an ingenious bit of design. The new versions are lovely as well of course, but I do think the more polished sand-blasted look that the black frames have now is a little less bold and unique.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #7,061 of 13,030
Is the original type of finishing gone forever due to this production complexity, or is there a chance it will come back for future colorways once the limited Copper version is phased out? I'm probably in the minority here since a lot of people seem to dig the Copper, but personally I found the original Gunmetal Empyrean the most aesthetically pleasing. An essential element of that was the very unique looking pattern of 'intentional machining marks' on the metal frames that imo was an ingenious bit of design. The new versions are lovely as well of course, but I do think the more polished sand-blasted look that the black frames have now is a little less bold and unique.
Unfortunately we are out of luck.
The original gunmetal Variant couldnt hold up to mezes quality Standards and therefore has been discontinued.
As of now meze doesn't plan on releasing any other color shemes so there is only copper and black.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #7,062 of 13,030
Honestly, I never understood the surprisingly significant proportion of audiophile crowd who drive 2000-3000K headphones out of 200-300 gear.

Some 200-300 gear is good enough for some folks to not go any higher, which is fine considering that usually there's no return from that place :sweat_smile:

Looks like I have a lot of testing and reading up ahead of me, looking forward to what I will find!

Please enjoy the ride!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #7,063 of 13,030
Does anyone here have an amp with 1/4" jack + balanced XLR and headphones cable with XLR + XLR to jack adapter with the same cable material? I would like to know if there's audible improvement using XLR vs 1/4" jack from the same amp.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #7,065 of 13,030
To me a better product. A fantastic company.

It's strange to me that certain companies like woo or chord get so much attention on here, and companies like prima, benchmark, or bryston do not. There is nothing better about woo or chord.
Chord may be the most over represented brand on head-fi tbh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back