Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #5,882 of 13,037
My best £18 audio upgrade. The most headphone-friendly haircut for the perfect seal. Really cleans up the bass and adds some extra dynamics. Something I can suggest to anyone and everyone. :gs1000smile:

Honestly, everytime I get a haircut and trim my beard all my headphones sound fuller and more dynamic. Like going from velour pads to leather.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,883 of 13,037
Jan 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #5,884 of 13,037
Honestly, everytime I get a haircut and trim my beard all my headphones sound fuller and more dynamic. Like going from velour pads to leather.
Every time I use my headphones after exercising, the soundstage, balance and clarity are so much better. Everyone, get those endorphins active and put your wallet away.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #5,885 of 13,037
Every time I use my headphones after exercising, the soundstage, balance and clarity are so much better. Everyone, get those endorphins active and put your wallet away.
YES. Cardio and coffee and Empyrean, what else you need? I was struck with the nastiest virus I've ever had in my life. In fact my whole family was struck down. I was dead for 5 days. There was a period where I slept 45 hours out of 50. Coughing, headache, fever, distorted hearing, complete lack of energy. I'm one of those people that gets distorted hearing first thing whenever I'm under the weather. When I was finally able to move a finger, Everything that didn't fall off a tree tasted super bitter, Like it was cooked with a bag of rubber-band. I'm just glad to be back n have Empyrean on my head again.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #5,886 of 13,037
My Empyreans arrived about an hour ago!

My only listening experience before today was in a fairly noisy shop floor in which they stood out to me versus competitors in the $2k+ price range. This is my first ever purchase of a TOTL headphone, my other main drivers for home use is a pair of HD650s which have served me well for almost 10 years and basically sparked my enthusiasm in hifi.

For the last few years I'd built up a really decent floorstanding speakers setup to my ears, and my listening habits became almost entirely 100% speakers for music. This was until recent months where my situation changed and now fairly often listen to music with headphones.

The main reason for finding a headphone upgrade was that while my HD650 still sounded great, they obviously couldn't compete with my speaker setup and I felt like I was missing out a little when listening. So that question came to my head of if I could get a similar sound to the HD650 but with elements of it improved. Something that wouldn't make me miss my speakers too much. I think I've found that with the Empy's.

Out of the box they are sounding great! Without going in detail describing the sound of them, to me they just sound like an upgraded version of the sound the HD650 gives. I find the alcantara pads to be a better pairing with my system, more open and spacious sound.

I have a couple of different amps, Olasonic D1 which I'd always found to sound a bit harsh and brittle (it was an impulse buy second hand pretty cheaply when I needed an amp for another room), and Aura Groove which sounds great.

Wondering now about a new amp to get the best of out the empy's, any recommendations? I listen to all types of music but mainly rock, acoustic, metal, pop, jazz.

I've been interested in the Chord Hugo TT2, but I'm not quite sure I can justify something of that cost especially after dropping a bunch of money on the empy. Other things I've got my eye on are the Hugo 2, ifi Micro Black Label, RME ADI 2.

I think I tend to like a fairly smooth sound with good separation (that's just based on the Olasonic sounding harsh though).

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #5,887 of 13,037
My Empyreans arrived about an hour ago!

My only listening experience before today was in a fairly noisy shop floor in which they stood out to me versus competitors in the $2k+ price range. This is my first ever purchase of a TOTL headphone, my other main drivers for home use is a pair of HD650s which have served me well for almost 10 years and basically sparked my enthusiasm in hifi.

For the last few years I'd built up a really decent floorstanding speakers setup to my ears, and my listening habits became almost entirely 100% speakers for music. This was until recent months where my situation changed and now fairly often listen to music with headphones.

The main reason for finding a headphone upgrade was that while my HD650 still sounded great, they obviously couldn't compete with my speaker setup and I felt like I was missing out a little when listening. So that question came to my head of if I could get a similar sound to the HD650 but with elements of it improved. Something that wouldn't make me miss my speakers too much. I think I've found that with the Empy's.

Out of the box they are sounding great! Without going in detail describing the sound of them, to me they just sound like an upgraded version of the sound the HD650 gives. I find the alcantara pads to be a better pairing with my system, more open and spacious sound.

I have a couple of different amps, Olasonic D1 which I'd always found to sound a bit harsh and brittle (it was an impulse buy second hand pretty cheaply when I needed an amp for another room), and Aura Groove which sounds great.

Wondering now about a new amp to get the best of out the empy's, any recommendations? I listen to all types of music but mainly rock, acoustic, metal, pop, jazz.

I've been interested in the Chord Hugo TT2, but I'm not quite sure I can justify something of that cost especially after dropping a bunch of money on the empy. Other things I've got my eye on are the Hugo 2, ifi Micro Black Label, RME ADI 2.

I think I tend to like a fairly smooth sound with good separation (that's just based on the Olasonic sounding harsh though).
I have recently bought a 2nd hand auralic Taurus mk ii which are going cheaply when you can find them.
I have been happy with that

I am curious about the head amp gsx mini. That might be worth looking at

I’m thinking the hugo2 should work well from what I’ve read

I also have a norne silver draug cable that works well with the empy

All the best

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #5,888 of 13,037
Well you may have end game already but you still keep chasing anyway. Trying to appease that monkey on your back. :)

I can fully understand this as well. I thought I was at my endgame with my TT2 and AriesG2 (maybe adding and mscaler). I had the itch to try something new as most of us do. Today I should hit what will be my endgame for at least a while when I go pick up my dCS Bartok. I will pair it with the liquid platinum for now until I buy a house and can look into other amps.

I would love to hear this combo with the empyrean some day.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #5,889 of 13,037
I can fully understand this as well. I thought I was at my endgame with my TT2 and AriesG2 (maybe adding and mscaler). I had the itch to try something new as most of us do. Today I should hit what will be my endgame for at least a while when I go pick up my dCS Bartok. I will pair it with the liquid platinum for now until I buy a house and can look into other amps.

I would love to hear this combo with the empyrean some day.

I was just pulling your leg. I’m not one to talk as I’ve done the same as you for the last 25 years.

I think the Empyrean would be a good match for your new set up as that was what I used with my dCS Debussy which I had previous to my current DAC. The Debussy became the Bartok with the obvious changes.

Good luck with your new setup. I’m sure you’ll love it. Let me know how it sounds after you get at least 100 hours on it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #5,890 of 13,037
I was just pulling your leg. I’m not one to talk as I’ve done the same as you for the last 25 years.

I think the Empyrean would be a good match for your new set up as that was what I used with my dCS Debussy which I had previous to my current DAC. The Debussy became the Bartok with the obvious changes.

Good luck with your new setup. I’m sure you’ll love it. Let me know how it sounds after you get at least 100 hours on it.

You ended up with the Pavane what was it that you liked about it more than the Debussy? I had one on order that I never got. I waited over a month i guess metrum lost the order. I got a refund and bought the TT2 and now am moving on to the Bartok.

I found the Bartok to be much more natural and full than the TT2 or Dave. I would like to see how it fairs against the Pavane.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #5,892 of 13,037
Tried the Bartok quickly when I was picking up a new cable at my local dealer. It was very full and natural sounding. A very analogue and non fatiguing sound. However, can't help that I felt that the sound was a bit held back and lacking in soundstage.

Ill give it another go when I have some more time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back