Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #5,896 of 12,992
looks like a copper version of our favorite headphone will be coming out

https://mezeaudio.com/products/meze-empyrean-black-copper
It has been available at some retailers for a few months now. (RRP £2999 instead of £2749.)
They do look good but for my personal taste the copper version is a bit over the top. Just like the golden bits on the 99 Classics.
I prefer the more low key but still exquisite appearance of the original version. It is good to have the option though to meet different tastes.
I just don't really understand the £250 difference...

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #5,897 of 12,992
It has been available at some retailers for a few months now. (RRP £2999 instead of £2749.)
They do look good but for my personal taste the copper version is a bit over the top. Just like the golden bits on the 99 Classics.
I prefer the more low key but still exquisite appearance of the original version. It is good to have the option though to meet different tastes.
I just don't really understand the £250 difference...

there dosent seem to be a difference in price at this shop
https://www.projekt-akustik.de/Empyrean-Black-Copper-300-m-63-mm-Klinke

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,901 of 12,992
I'd like an Empyrean Jr. at $1995.
There have been rumours about a more affordable, downgraded Empyrean. Somewhat like the 99 Neo was to the 99 Classics.
Compromises are expected regarding build materials and design, the big question is how much of a compromise it would be regarding sound quality.
Perhaps folks will want the copper version and sell their 'original' Empy for $1995!?!?
Secondhand Empys still go well over $2K. Around $2400 at the moment.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #5,902 of 12,992
Just ordered a copper one. I sold my regular a week ago but miss it too much not having it. How many months does it take directly from Meze?

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #5,904 of 12,992
Just ordered a copper one. I sold my regular a week ago but miss it too much not having it. How many months does it take directly from Meze?
I can see you own a generous selection of TOTL headphones. Would you mind sharing a few thoughts regarding the Empy versus the D8000pro? Areas I am specifically interested in are bass clarity, dynamism, vocal and instrument lifelikeness, positioning and spaciousness.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #5,905 of 12,992
It will feels good excited for the copper version.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #5,906 of 12,992
I can see you own a generous selection of TOTL headphones. Would you mind sharing a few thoughts regarding the Empy versus the D8000pro? Areas I am specifically interested in are bass clarity, dynamism, vocal and instrument lifelikeness, positioning and spaciousness.
I suck at giving my thoughts on actual sound. Honestly I love the D8000 pro because it has good stuff. All my music is edm so no help sorry.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,907 of 12,992
I suck at giving my thoughts on actual sound. Honestly I love the D8000 pro because it has good stuff. All my music is edm so no help sorry.
Thanks for your honesty. My music library is also 60% EDM. If I simplify my question I guess you could still give me a personal impression regarding bass tightness and vocal lifelikeness between the two headphones? Or am I pushing it too far? :)
My guess is that the D8000Pro perhaps has a tighter bass but the Empy has more lifelike mids. But I have never heard the D8000Pro so I don't know.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #5,908 of 12,992
Okay I’ll start by saying the bass is tight and fast. Vocal edm sound natural, sounds are spaced out enough. IMO the circular diaphragm does something vs regular rectangular diaphragm. The one difference I hear about is the non pro has more bass. I like that there is no veil to the sound very clear. That is best I can say about it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #5,909 of 12,992
You ended up with the Pavane what was it that you liked about it more than the Debussy? I had one on order that I never got. I waited over a month i guess metrum lost the order. I got a refund and bought the TT2 and now am moving on to the Bartok.

I found the Bartok to be much more natural and full than the TT2 or Dave. I would like to see how it fairs against the Pavane.

I only made a change because
You ended up with the Pavane what was it that you liked about it more than the Debussy? I had one on order that I never got. I waited over a month i guess metrum lost the order. I got a refund and bought the TT2 and now am moving on to the Bartok.

I found the Bartok to be much more natural and full than the TT2 or Dave. I would like to see how it fairs against the Pavane.

I'm not surprised of your findings of the difference between the TT2 and Dave versus the Bartok.

My getting the Pavane had nothing to do with me not liking the Debussy. I had it for a couple of years and really liked it. I just felt like making a change and had been reading up a lot on NOS R2R DAC's and wanted to give it a try.

Are you going to use the Bartok as just a DAC or are did you get the headphone option too? I was wondering how good the headphone amp was. If I'm reading the specs correctly, it looks like 1.4 watts into 33 ohms. Will that drive your Abyss?

If the headphone amp section is good, you get the benefit of not having to use interconnects and their specific sound signature added to the music.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #5,910 of 12,992
I only made a change because

I'm not surprised of your findings of the difference between the TT2 and Dave versus the Bartok.

My getting the Pavane had nothing to do with me not liking the Debussy. I had it for a couple of years and really liked it. I just felt like making a change and had been reading up a lot on NOS R2R DAC's and wanted to give it a try.

Are you going to use the Bartok as just a DAC or are did you get the headphone option too? I was wondering how good the headphone amp was. If I'm reading the specs correctly, it looks like 1.4 watts into 33 ohms. Will that drive your Abyss?

If the headphone amp section is good, you get the benefit of not having to use interconnects and their specific sound signature added to the music.

I got the version without the headphone amp. I did try the one with the headphone out and was pleasantly surprised at how good the headphone section was. It was better than the Dave's for sure it does have less power than the TT2 but I thought it sounded better with my clears than the Tt2 The abyss sounded better as well with the Bartok.

I am going to try driving them out of the balanced output on the back. I have heard the people were doing this with the vivaldi. I will let you know if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back