Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #5,851 of 12,974
i think i have 2 of the best dac amps out there, there is lacking of details in empyrean that are to me so easily detected. I am not saying empyrean is a bad headphone and I can see why many like it but simply its not for me at all

After getting meier audio corda soul and chord tt2, I really wanted to give empyrean another try but it did not go well for me

I use a Matrix XSabre Pro MQA DAC.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #5,852 of 12,974
today I compared empyrean and hifiman he1000se ...

i did not like empyrean ... compared to he1000se...
@Sound Eq --

Assuming that the HEKse sounds similar to the HEKv2, I can understand your opinion. There's certainly a distinct difference between HEK & Empy. HEK sounds open/airy/spare, detailed and quite linear. Empy is close to completely opposite on all those characteristics, with a lush/enveloping headstage, recessed highs, and elevated mid-bass. I wouldn't express those characteristics so negatively, but the contrast between those two is pretty dramatic. I do think that the perceived lack of detail may be more about tonality than technical competence.

Like you, I owned and sold Empy. And like you, having received a new DAC (Gumby A2) and amp (DSHA-3F), I really wonder how Empy would play with my current chain. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who can provide me a set to audition with the new rig.

It would be interesting to listen to Empy via SonarWorks, although according to the website, they don't support Empy at the moment.

Amusing comment re Empy on your profile/info page :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5,853 of 12,974
@Sound Eq --

Assuming that the HEKse sounds similar to the HEKv2, I can understand your opinion. There's certainly a distinct difference between HEK & Empy. HEK sounds open/airy/spare, detailed and quite linear. Empy is close to completely opposite on all those characteristics, with a lush/enveloping headstage, recessed highs, and elevated mid-bass. I wouldn't express those characteristics so negatively, but the contrast between those two is pretty dramatic. I do think that the perceived lack of detail may be more about tonality than technical competence.

Like you, I owned and sold Empy. And like you, having received a new DAC (Gumby A2) and amp (DSHA-3F), I really wonder how Empy would play with my current chain. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who can provide me a set to audition with the new rig.

It would be interesting to listen to Empy via SonarWorks, although according to the website, they don't support Empy at the moment.

Amusing comment re Empy on your profile/info page :)

The Hifiman HE1000SE is on another level than the HE1000 V2 :). Usually I like to change headphones every few months, and I thought lets see whats out there other than SE, but simply nothing to my ears sounds better than SE. I thought of upgrading to susvara but some made me worry bout amping. This is the longest time for me where one headphone took the crown for so long, and I do not know how hifiman themselves can top the SE

By all means please do not take my post as an attack against empyrean as definitely its a great headphone I was just sharing some notes

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5,854 of 12,974
The Hifiman HE1000SE is on another level than the HE1000 V2 :). Usually I like to change headphones every few months, and I thought lets see whats out there other than SE, but simply nothing to my ears sounds better than SE. I thought of upgrading to susvara but some made me worry bout amping. This is the longest time for me where one headphone took the crown for so long, and I do not know how hifiman themselves can top the SE

By all means please do not take my post as an attack against empyrean as definitely its a great headphone I was just sharing some notes
Here is my outlook, I think the Empy and the SE complement each other well. The SE can tend to be a bit bright while the Empy is warm and lush with a lot more midbass. Honestly if the Heddphone thing doesn’t work out, then I will repurchase the Empy and just park it for a while.

Like you, was and still may be considering an upgrade to the Susvara. It is most definitely an improvement over the SE. The amp thing is somewhat a myth as I disproved it by driving them with a THX amp.....without straining...and it was still the best headphone at the meet.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #5,855 of 12,974
Here is my outlook, I think the Empy and the SE complement each other well. The SE can tend to be a bit bright while the Empy is warm and lush with a lot more midbass. Honestly if the Heddphone thing doesn’t work out, then I will repurchase the Empy and just park it for a while.

Like you, was and still may be considering an upgrade to the Susvara. It is most definitely an improvement over the SE. The amp thing is somewhat a myth as I disproved it by driving them with a THX amp.....without straining...and it was still the best headphone at the meet.
thats so strange to read as some told even chord tt2 or my old ifi ican pro as an amp is not a good match to susvara, i wish to audition it though to test myself

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5,856 of 12,974
thats so strange to read as some told even chord tt2 or my old ifi ican pro is not a good match to susvara, i wish to audition it though to test myself
They are probably mostly talking about sound quality, which I did not mention. Is the THX the best amp sq or power wise for the Susvara, of course not, but it can be adequately driven and still sound good by it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #5,857 of 12,974
So not to long ago I posted about having waited over 3 months for the Empy and was going to be canceling. Fortunately my dealer was able to make a call and got them to push one through for me. As @mixman knows it was well worth the wait. My other cans are the LCD-4's and I love them, but so far I haven't stopped using the Empys and I prefer them with the suede pads. The comfort with these headphones is just unnatural. The sound they generate may not be the most detailed or analytical, but it does have a very unique signature. The LCD-4's certainly have a more accurate bass with good impact, but I feel the Empy has a very fun sounding bass that has very good impact as well. The tonality is perfect for me in that its not to warm or to bright but perfect sit back and relax can.

Super happy it worked out and the cancelation didn't work out. I really enjoy these and I wasn't sure I would. Loving them so far. Not sure about peoples issues with bass. I feel bass impact on these rival the 4 just in a different way and on differing songs. That being said I know from experience having the right dac can have a huge affect on bass weight and impact. The better the dac the more of that bottom end information that gets through. When I upgraded to the Terminator it was like flipping a bass boost switch. Couldnt believe my previous dac was letting that much info go missing.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5,858 of 12,974
So not to long ago I posted about having waited over 3 months for the Empy and was going to be canceling. Fortunately my dealer was able to make a call and got them to push one through for me. As @mixman knows it was well worth the wait. My other cans are the LCD-4's and I love them, but so far I haven't stopped using the Empys and I prefer them with the suede pads. The comfort with these headphones is just unnatural. The sound they generate may not be the most detailed or analytical, but it does have a very unique signature. The LCD-4's certainly have a more accurate bass with good impact, but I feel the Empy has a very fun sounding bass that has very good impact as well. The tonality is perfect for me in that its not to warm or to bright but perfect sit back and relax can.

Super happy it worked out and the cancelation didn't work out. I really enjoy these and I wasn't sure I would. Loving them so far. Not sure about peoples issues with bass. I feel bass impact on these rival the 4 just in a different way and on differing songs. That being said I know from experience having the right dac can have a huge affect on bass weight and impact. The better the dac the more of that bottom end information that gets through. When I upgraded to the Terminator it was like flipping a bass boost switch. Couldnt believe my previous dac was letting that much info go missing.

Agreed. Happy this worked out for you!!!

Now for others, this recommendation from Dan is coming from a guy who has owned pretty much all the Stats out there and had a TOTL system running them. He has also owned many other TOTL HP's too, so if he says they are good after his remarkable headphone journey, one should take note!

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #5,860 of 12,974
i think i have 2 of the best dac amps out there, there is lacking of details in empyrean that are to me so easily detected. I am not saying empyrean is a bad headphone and I can see why many like it but simply its not for me at all

After getting meier audio corda soul and chord tt2, I really wanted to give empyrean another try but it did not go well for me
Well did you mscaled it..tt2?

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5,861 of 12,974
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #5,862 of 12,974
I think it is just that people look for different things in a headphone. Let's forget about comfort, build quality, efficiency and focus only on sound(quality?). The reason for the brackets is because I think all TOTL headphones deliver quality sound. From the LCD4 and Utopia to the HEKSE and Empyrean. But all try to please a different segment of a niche hobby.
People who buy these headphones are audiophiles (don't try to deny it) and have a history with different audio gears. They (we) are the fine dining customers of stupidly expensive headphones. All because we enjoy those vibrations of air going through our ears slightly more than others do.
The same way in a three Michelin star restaurant customers will prefer different dishes, we prefer different TOTL sound presentations. One enjoys the most meticulous detail presentation, the other one enjoys the most spacious sound. Some might want the most linear and neutral sound, others want to kick back, relax and enjoy a smooth but truly quality sound presentation.

I think we live in an exciting time for audio gears and headphones specifically. The improvement in sound quality and the growth of the market has been exponentially incredible in the past 10, 5, 2 or even 1 year. I think the appearance of the HEDDphone is a good sign, those crazy TOTL prices of 3-4-6K have to come closer or below 2K. I think the next 2 years of headphone audio will be pretty exciting.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #5,863 of 12,974
i used hqplayer upsampling on tt and without upsampling, but no up sampling on corda soul
Ok..i have also had 1000se..good clean headphone...but too bright to me..yes empy is lacking a little bit of speed and detail...but very relaxing to listen to..and i agree with @betula..on that setting tt2 on high gain and crossfeed 2. But i had 1000se with the dave..very transparent..but to bright. I am starting to like empyrean very much..and i have owend a lots of headphones.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #5,864 of 12,974
Ok..i have also had 1000se..good clean headphone...but too bright to me..yes empy is lacking a little bit of speed and detail...but very relaxing to listen to..and i agree with @betula..on that setting tt2 on high gain and crossfeed 2. But i had 1000se with the dave..very transparent..but to bright. I am starting to like empyrean very much..and i have owend a lots of headphones.
Oh, man. That you have actually checked my personal preference on TT2 settings and you like it is quite a compliment. Sometimes we prefer the same audio gear, but preferring the same settings is rather rare to my experience. :beerchug:

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #5,865 of 12,974
Oh, man. That you have actually checked my personal preference on TT2 settings and you like it is quite a compliment. Sometimes we prefer the same audio gear, but preferring the same settings is rather rare to my experience. :beerchug:
But remember... i have genesis one power into aries g2 on wifi mavros optical into mscaler..mscaler and tt2 on isotek power strip.. totl isolation..i am happy. And i have the uppgraded cable from meze with silver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back