Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,441 of 13,028
Did they give any hint as to an ETA?

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #4,444 of 13,028
I really do enjoy the perforated leather pads on the utopia and think the empys certainly could benefit from a perf leather pads option.
Yes, Utopia stock pads are great! Too bad replacements are $200 :)

Here's hoping Empy pad alternatives are more realistically priced.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #4,445 of 13,028
Listening to my Empyrean's tonight with my DAVE / HPA4 setup and some Abby Road. The Beatles have never sounded better! Amazing that Meze hit the nail right on the head with their first foray into the world of flagship headphones. I've been smiling for the past 30 minutes. :)

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #4,446 of 13,028
Listening to my Empyrean's tonight with my DAVE / HPA4 setup and some Abby Road. The Beatles have never sounded better! Amazing that Meze hit the nail right on the head with their first foray into the world of flagship headphones. I've been smiling for the past 30 minutes. :)

Any time to pair the Empy's and GS-X mini amp? I have a GS-X on preorder and hope to have it soon.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #4,448 of 13,028
Hey Gang,

It took a solid week of casual reading but I have indeed poured over all 297 pages of this thread. End result is that I ordered my own pair of Empy’s this afternoon.
Now what I’m agonizing over, like so many others, is amplification. I’ve got 3 routes that I would appreciate input on:

Woo WA22 gen 2: Beautiful to behold, has been mentioned a few times over the last 100 or so pages but with use of upgraded tubes that are heartbreakingly expensive. Would this amp be too dark for the empyreans out of the box? I can’t afford another 1k just to roll right now.

Rogue Audio RH5: I’ve had a few rogue components in the past and really enjoyed them. I would use this as the first piece of a long term Rogue system. I’ve read a couple of reviews that specifically made reference to the RH5 being particularly good with Planar magnetic drivers, but can it really hang?

Headroom MK2 mini. This is just based on its legendary predecessor and the fact that many believe that the Empy’s are more response to a good SS amp.

While I would like to try them all, it just isn’t practical for me right now. So while I continue to scour the web for reading material I would greatly appreciate any insights or opinions you might want to share.

Thank you

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #4,449 of 13,028
Hey Gang,

It took a solid week of casual reading but I have indeed poured over all 297 pages of this thread. End result is that I ordered my own pair of Empy’s this afternoon.
Now what I’m agonizing over, like so many others, is amplification. I’ve got 3 routes that I would appreciate input on:

Woo WA22 gen 2: Beautiful to behold, has been mentioned a few times over the last 100 or so pages but with use of upgraded tubes that are heartbreakingly expensive. Would this amp be too dark for the empyreans out of the box? I can’t afford another 1k just to roll right now.

Rogue Audio RH5: I’ve had a few rogue components in the past and really enjoyed them. I would use this as the first piece of a long term Rogue system. I’ve read a couple of reviews that specifically made reference to the RH5 being particularly good with Planar magnetic drivers, but can it really hang?

Headroom MK2 mini. This is just based on its legendary predecessor and the fact that many believe that the Empy’s are more response to a good SS amp.

While I would like to try them all, it just isn’t practical for me right now. So while I continue to scour the web for reading material I would greatly appreciate any insights or opinions you might want to share.

Thank you

I'm using empy with wa22 and it is beautiful. Smooth as silk, detailed, and impactful low end.

Using mullard 6080, tungsol 6sn7 tall glass, and Sophia princess 274b.

Have a hpa4 coming and that will be my primary amp with the empy. Wa22 duties for utopia.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #4,451 of 13,028
I'm using empy with wa22 and it is beautiful. Smooth as silk, detailed, and impactful low end.

Using mullard 6080, tungsol 6sn7 tall glass, and Sophia princess 274b.

Have a hpa4 coming and that will be my primary amp with the empy. Wa22 duties for utopia.

Well that gives me hope and those tubes are inexpensive, where's a good place to purchase?

But ultimately you're going back to a SS amp in the Benchmark?

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4,453 of 13,028
Well that gives me hope and those tubes are inexpensive, where's a good place to purchase?

Personally I wouldn't recommend a tube amplifier for orthos...they can't supply the current that they require to fully sound their best and OTLs have the hardest issue with this (and offer too high an output impedance).

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,454 of 13,028

Personally I wouldn't recommend a tube amplifier for orthos...they can't supply the current that they require to fully sound their best and OTLs have the hardest issue with this (and offer too high an output impedance).

What MacedonianHero said.
The Wa22 can drive the empy decently well but I think it will likely do better with the hpa4.
But if you're looking for tubes, I got mine off ebay.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #4,455 of 13,028

Users who are viewing this thread

Back