Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,456 of 12,974
What MacedonianHero said.
The Wa22 can drive the empy decently well but I think it will likely do better with the hpa4.
But if you're looking for tubes, I got mine off ebay.

The WA22 would be a better choice than the WA2 for orthos as it's not an OTL amp (typically better for HD800S or T1 V2).

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,457 of 12,974
To me the Empyrean is the headphone that finally meets all my needs. Bass, resolution, detail, timbre, 3D space, tonal accuracy, comfort.

I am glad to see the review community is also generally extremely impressed by these headphones.

For these reasons it strikes me even more if I come across a very negative opinion.

Not long ago for example someone shared his thoughts on the Empyrean: "under-performing for its price, mess in tone and frequency response, bass is less clean than LCD2C, Verum1 has better tonality'.

I couldn't disagree more and almost shocked at a response like this. Can we really hear this differently? What is going on here?
And as he states he used some acceptable gear apparently. (Yggy, Gumby, Ragnarok, WA6SE...)

To be fair I always found his comments even on other headphones weird and disagreed in a strong way I hardly ever do. But still, I am left puzzled by these comments on the Empy.

Not that I care much, I am one of the happiest Empy owners, but can someone explain how another human being is able to prefer Verum1 and LCD2C (both are phenomenal headphones for the price!) and value them much higher than the Empy?

Is it something to do with hearing or I am just malicious to think this?

Edit: Another strange thing about this dude is that he keeps listing headphones like the LCD4, Utopia and others in his signature which he admittedly sold months ago (but he said he didn't have the time to update his signature) as he preferred cheaper options like the HD650, Verum and LCD2C.

I do think the LCD2C is the best option out there under £1000 if someone likes bass, but come on man...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #4,458 of 12,974
To me the Empyrean is the headphone that finally meets all my needs. Bass, resolution, detail, timbre, 3D space, tonal accuracy, comfort.

I am glad to see the review community is also generally extremely impressed by these headphones.

For these reasons it strikes me even more if I come across a very negative opinion.

Not long ago for example someone shared his thoughts on the Empyrean: "under-performing for its price, mess in tone and frequency response, bass is less clean than LCD2C, Verum1 has better tonality'.

I couldn't disagree more and almost shocked at a response like this. Can we really hear this differently? What is going on here?
And as he states he used some acceptable gear apparently. (Yggy, Gumby, Ragnarok, WA6SE...)

To be fair I always found his comments even on other headphones weird and disagreed in a strong way I hardly ever do. But still, I am left puzzled by these comments on the Empy.

Not that I care much, I am one of the happiest Empy owners, but can someone explain how another human being is able to prefer Verum1 and LCD2C (both are phenomenal headphones for the price!) and value them much higher than the Empy?

Is it something to do with hearing or I am just malicious to think this?

Edit: Another strange thing about this dude is that he keeps listing headphones like the LCD4, Utopia and others in his signature which he admittedly sold months ago (but he said he didn't have the time to update his signature) as he preferred cheaper options like the HD650, Verum and LCD2C.

I do think the LCD2C is the best option out there under £1000 if someone likes bass, but come on man...

I like my LCD2C more at the moment because I cannot afford the Empy. :ksc75smile:

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #4,460 of 12,974
Thank you, this is just the sort of input I was looking for. I've heard great things about the V281 as well and I kinda dig the industrial look.

Any thoughts on the RH5? I would chalk it uo to the same tube concerns however this review makes reference to it being excellent with Planar Drivers: https://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-audio-rh-5-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier
The RH5 work very well with the Emp's. I have a TT2 and the RH5, so I can plug it in to either one according to my mood.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,463 of 12,974
https://i.imgur.com/QG7SQla.png

I was listening to track one of this album while jumping back and forth between my Emp's and my newly purchased LCD2 Fazor 2018. The Emp's had better resolution, clarity, timbre, accuracy, bass and a more coherent center image. The LCD2 sounded like they were playing a different song while having a more wispy/diffuse center image. They LCD2 also had a wider soundstage and presented the song with a bigger scale with damn good imaging.

The hearing in my left is is getting rather poor and I decided I would let the Emp's go and put the money toward some new speakers. The Emp's are some damn good HP's and are the "total package".

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #4,465 of 12,974
'Total package' is a good description of the Empys. What else would one really need from a headphone that the Empy can't deliver? Not much. Perhaps none.
I would like the sizing mechanism to have notches to show that each side is set evenly. My dumb ass would measure it to make sure it was even and from time to time check to see if it didn't move.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #4,466 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back