Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 5, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #3,916 of 12,974
@LCMusicLover, you didn't lead me in a bad direction at ALL! :laughing:
Just a couple of hours with the Empy's and I really like what I am hearing. I am currently using the LP with WE 2C51 tubes and the combo is very nice. I have lots of other tubes to try in the LP. Stock cable and have only tried the leather earpads at this point.
GS-X mini on preorder so we'll see how that pairs with the Empy.

Thanks LCMusicLover!!!!!!!!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #3,917 of 12,974
I like leather pad more. When I got empy I switched the pad but around 15 days back I switched back to leather and never looked back. I feel in leather pad the Bass is tighter and treble is controlled with better imaging. With Alacantra I had difficulty in locating instruments and treble didn’t sound as good as it is with leather.

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #3,918 of 12,974
So I just got back from my holiday and I can't wait to put this setup together. Music heaven in such a small package.

1iPlk8S.jpg

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #3,919 of 12,974
Ray, that pairing is off the charts gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jun 7, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #3,920 of 12,974
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #3,921 of 12,974
Hi, can anyone who has spent considerable time with both the Hex V2 and the Empys, explain their sonic differences?

I'm considering upgrading and believe I might get better detail retrieval, and better defined bass, but have some reservations regarding soundstage and midrange presence. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #3,923 of 12,974
Hi, can anyone who has spent considerable time with both the Hex V2 and the Empys, explain their sonic differences?

I'm considering upgrading and believe I might get better detail retrieval, and better defined bass, but have some reservations regarding soundstage and midrange presence. Thanks.
If you want reliable Info please do post amp and DAC you will use to pair

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,924 of 12,974

The Empyrean destroys it in terms of build quality and aesthetics. In terms of sound and soundstage, I’d take the HEX V2 over it and save a lot of money. They’re close on detail retrieval, but the HEX V2 has the superior soundstage.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #3,925 of 12,974
If you want reliable Info please do post amp and DAC you will use to pair
Sure, I'm currently using the Cayin stack - iDAP6/iDAC6/iHA6.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #3,926 of 12,974
The Empyrean destroys it in terms of build quality and aesthetics. In terms of sound and soundstage, I’d take the HEX V2 over it and save a lot of money. They’re close on detail retrieval, but the HEX V2 has the superior soundstage.

HEX V2 doesn't have mids comparing to Empys and soundstage is just an artificial product of how lows and highs are arranged.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,927 of 12,974

I have the SE, not the v2.

Empyrean has a thicker, darker sound. Greater bass presence. Mids are more forward. Overall, it's the more musical of the 2.
SE is thinner, brighter sound. Wider soundstage, highs are more prevalent than Empy. Nothing is particularly forward, everything is equally present.

Both offer great detail retrieval, but the greater treble presence and thinner sound of the SE makes it easier to pick everything out. It's all there with the Empy, just not as easily discernible.

Much earlier in this thread I stated I preferred the Empy (with leather pads, btw). At this point, I think if I absolutely had to keep only one, it would be SE. While I love the punch of the Empy, there are times the overall thickness and bass quantity is too much, whereas I can pretty much cover a broader musical spectrum with the SE.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #3,928 of 12,974

This is just about what I was going to post. All true.

In my comparisons of the two, when I disregarded the spectacular design & build quality of the Empyrean, this became a real horse race. IMO the Empyrean has a bit more resolution & detail, while the HEX v2 is slightly less detailed, a bit more resonant (subtle differences). Empyrean has that little spike @~10 kHz that gives the upper midrange its sheen & impact; the HEX v2 seems flatter there, perhaps a little rolled off at the top (a very pleasing treble range on HEX v2). Soundstaging of the HEX v2 is definitely better--it has among the best, if not the best soundstages I've heard in an open design...but the Empyrean does not disappoint.

Bass is probably the most interesting comparison: Empyrean has a bit more timbral accuracy and resolution in the bass, but the bass of the HEX v2 seems big, resonant, alive. It's a dead-heat, an interesting one.

I guess the takeaway is the HEX v2 is the poor man's Empyrean--except that doesn't begin to really describe the two.
  • There's only one Empyrean: it's a stone-cold beauty that backs up its looks w/terrific sound.
  • And IMO the HEX v2 IMO is a "lost opportunity" in the Hifiman stable: now discontinued, it has a somewhat warm, pleasing, musical quality I immediately appreciated. I like it more than any other HFM design I've heard...

Jun 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #3,929 of 12,974
Sure, I'm currently using the Cayin stack - iDAP6/iDAC6/iHA6.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend? Might be worth taking a look at the LCD 4z, diana phi, or the AB1266 Phi TC. I thought the LCD4Z edged out the empyrean in detail with about the same soundstage with the leather pads. The diana phi had a bigger stage than both and was more resolving. The Ab1266 phi tc is on another level all together. It is the closest I have heard to listening to speakers in terms of physicality of the sound and staging. It is faster than the stax sr009s and just as resolving to me with way better bass. For pure soundstage the raal sr1a was great but you need at least 100w of stereo power to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back