Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,496 of 12,974
I got mine shipped after about a week, and got it in 3 days. obviously it wasn't shipped the same way things from china get shipped where they end up waiting in customs a month :)

That's not bad, I placed an order with a user here who is a dealer and that was about a week and a half ago. No news yet. :/

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3,498 of 12,974
Initial impressions with a days worth of burn in. I don’t think these are right for me. Coming from the LCD 4z that I really enjoyed but I found them way too heavy and sometimes muddy. I enjoyed the warmth and the fullness they gave to the music. The comparison between the Empyreans being a child of the Audeze and the Utopias is somewhat accurate. They do sound to my ears to be a step more in the utopias direction. I think I may try the Hifiman 1000se or the final d8000 next because I think they me more in line with what I am looking for.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #3,499 of 12,974
That's not bad, I placed an order with a user here who is a dealer and that was about a week and a half ago. No news yet. :/
In Meze website it says available May2019. May be waiting for New batches.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #3,500 of 12,974
In Meze website it says available May2019. May be waiting for New batches.

That is unfortunate... hoping mine is one of the upcoming batches prior to May..

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #3,501 of 12,974
Initial impressions with a days worth of burn in. I don’t think these are right for me. Coming from the LCD 4z that I really enjoyed but I found them way too heavy and sometimes muddy. I enjoyed the warmth and the fullness they gave to the music. The comparison between the Empyreans being a child of the Audeze and the Utopias is somewhat accurate. They do sound to my ears to be a step more in the utopias direction. I think I may try the Hifiman 1000se or the final d8000 next because I think they me more in line with what I am looking for.

What kind of music and gear were you listening to and using, out of curiosity? Much of what you describe though is from the stock cable IMO. I haven't tried the SE yet, but I had the HEK II and I do sometimes miss the balance it had.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,502 of 12,974
What kind of music and gear were you listening to and using, out of curiosity? Much of what you describe though is from the stock cable IMO. I haven't tried the SE yet, but I had the HEK II and I do sometimes miss the balance it had.
I used a Hugo 2 and a THX 789. I preferred the sound of the 789 and i was listening to a mix of modern and 80s new wave/alternative. I mostly listen to 80s music.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #3,503 of 12,974
I used a Hugo 2 and a THX 789. I preferred the sound of the 789 and i was listening to a mix of modern and 80s new wave/alternative. I mostly listen to 80s music.

Ha, everything you have is the antithesis of "heavy and sometimes muddy". :wink:

I can't remember if I asked before, but how do you find the THX 789 vs. the Hugo 2's direct headphone output?

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #3,504 of 12,974
I don’t know if i posted it on this thread but after hearing the empyrean (in two long demos) and enjoying what it offered i then went to the hekv2 (that i also own) and was immediately reminded why that is my preference (like the hd800). More (controlled) treble, great balance, bigger soundstage.

For MY PREFERENCES the hek is easily better for me and even though i am quite interested to get to know the empy on a more personal basis i can only justify one at this price, no matter how many times i try to justify it to myself to have both

Ps i am awaiting my upgrade to the hekse, which i have not heard, so i am hoping for more of this hek goodness - time will tell (i could not resist)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #3,505 of 12,974
Amos, I’m curious enough to ask that i saw how much of a fan of the utopia you were in your review but what made you come so much around to the empys (if i have that right)?

Do you think perhaps you were looking for something different, or your preferences had been moving to something like these, or do you find more of an overlap between these two that I don’t?

Or have you always enjoyed a variety at the same time?

I know I like variety and my tastes evolve but I've only been in this caper for about 6 or 7 years

Like I mentioned I ask that as you seemed completely smittened by the utopia.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #3,506 of 12,974
Ha, everything you have is the antithesis of "heavy and sometimes muddy". :wink:

I can't remember if I asked before, but how do you find the THX 789 vs. the Hugo 2's direct headphone output?
I think the THX technology is something special, it really expands the sounds and helps paint a wider, clearers, deeper picture of the music.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3,507 of 12,974
I don’t know if i posted it on this thread but after hearing the empyrean (in two long demos) and enjoying what it offered i then went to the hekv2 (that i also own) and was immediately reminded why that is my preference (like the hd800). More (controlled) treble, great balance, bigger soundstage.

For MY PREFERENCES the hek is easily better for me and even though i am quite interested to get to know the empy on a more personal basis i can only justify one at this price, no matter how many times i try to justify it to myself to have both

Ps i am awaiting my upgrade to the hekse, which i have not heard, so i am hoping for more of this hek goodness - time will tell (i could not resist)
I share the same sentiment as you. While the Empyreans are an amazing headphone I just don’t think they’re for me. The HEkse really interest me as much as the D8000.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3,508 of 12,974
Amos, I’m curious enough to ask that i saw how much of a fan of the utopia you were in your review but what made you come so much around to the empys (if i have that right)?

Do you think perhaps you were looking for something different, or your preferences had been moving to something like these, or do you find more of an overlap between these two that I don’t?

Or have you always enjoyed a variety at the same time?

I know I like variety and my tastes evolve but I've only been in this caper for about 6 or 7 years

Like I mentioned I ask that as you seemed completely smittened by the utopia.

Those are good questions. Primarily my move is because of the larger variety of music I feel I can enjoy with the Empyrean. I had been thinking of getting a pair of Z1Rs to complement the Utopias for music where more bass kick would be ideal. The other reason is that I feel that the Empyrean (with a re-cable) delivers more underlying detail. I think the Utopias image better in some respects, but seems to be mostly from the tuning.

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #3,510 of 12,974
The other reason is that I feel that the Empyrean (with a re-cable) delivers more underlying detail. I think the Utopias image better in some respects, but seems to be mostly from the tuning.

Do you mean more detail than the utopia?

And by underlying detail do you mean overall and little nuances of detail, like, i think you have siad before, the singer parting their lips and all that kind of stuff or perhaps better separation or clarity of instruments?

(Ps i hope this doesn’t sound like the spanish inquisition. I respect you opinions/reviews)

(For some reason I can’t seem to be able to paste the monty python Spanish inquisition gif here)

nobody-inquisition-expects-xuXc3kD8AeVaw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back